+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

That is such a nice post homeontherange

I have always watched the Olympics, as far back as I can remember, in the days when it was every four years!!! I'm so glad they changed it to every two years.

Its exciting to watch some of the championship tourneys during the last two years, which have the very same athletes competing now in the Olympics. They all work so hard, its incredible determination!

FORT Fogey

Alright Apolo eight Olympic medals, and a great man to represent our country.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

My heart broke for Apolo tonight during the short track gold medal event. I knew as soon as I saw his hand touch the opposing skater he was done It was the right call, but still tough to watch. I think he knew, too, when he crossed the finish line there might be a DQ coming.

Haven't really been paying much attention to the events in the last couple of days. Women's figure skating didn't really have my attention this year, though always great to hear the stories and accomplishments that come out of these sports and what these Olympics will end up being best remembered for. Did enjoy watching bobsledding, probably one of my favorite events in recent years. Of course everyone knows of the Jamaican bobsled team and their inspiriational Olympic feat (I hate those Visa commercials ) But I remember Vonetta Flowers in 2002 becoming the first African-American women to win a winter Olympic gold medal; and it was one of the German women's teams, but I recall one bobsledder getting dumped by her partner for someone else, so she got herself a new partner and ended up beating her former teammate.

Regarding the women's hockey celebration, while I think there was probably a better place to celebrate, I don't think their intention was to shove it in the face of the U.S. or any other team, or be disrespectful. Probably just one of those spur of the moment deals where it all just happened.
    Last edited by karalott; 02-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Hockey is my favourite sport. However, I simply cannot take another game like that, Canada vs Slovakia, holy cow!!! That was flipping close. Great effort to the Slovaks, yowser, I think I'm hyperventilating!

What the heck am I going to do on Sunday, Canada vs U.S.A for gold! I might as well get the vallium out now!

announcer just said from Short Track to Heart Attack, no kidding!!

Another great day for Canada!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 02-27-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3841438;
    Alright Apolo eight Olympic medals, and a great man to represent our country.
    That's right. He is a terrific athlete and has so much to be proud of. That was an awful spill, I felt so horrible for him.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3841448;
    My heart broke for Apolo tonight during the short track gold medal event. I knew as soon as I saw his hand touch the opposing skater he was done It was the right call, but still tough to watch. I think he knew, too, when he crossed the finish line there might be a DQ coming.
    I'm not completely sure it was the right call. I don't think the other skater's fall was due to Ohno touching him. Furthermore, in the replay the Canadian guy in the lead clearly had his hand on the Korean guy immediately before he fell. Why DQ Ohno for it and not the other guy? Oh well, it is what it is. I'm happy the US guys were able to come back and get the bronze in the relay, especially with such a young team!!

ETA - Is short track speed skating done now? I don't think I can stand to watch any more. I get way too caught up in the drama and tension watching those races!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.

I always just love watching Apollo Ono skate. He was interviewed a couple of days ago when he was upgraded in the medals because of a DQ, and he said it is usually crazy on the ice, you never know what might happen, so I think he's probably used to this kind of thing happening. He's an awesome athlete though!

What a tremendous day for Canada!! We lost a heartbreaker in the women's curling match, but what exciting finishes in skating! The hockey game almost gave me a heart attack..so nice to see Bobby Lou pull it out at the end (with a little help from the goal post!!). I don't know how I'll be able to watch on Sunday. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3841217;
    So 6-1 was the final. What happened to Sweden, guys? Wasn't Henrik Lundqvist playing goalie for them? It seems like they should have made it to the final four, doesn't it? Or is that just my bias since that's my ancestral homeland?
    Yes, Henrik Lundqvist was the goalie for us. Slovakaia beat us 3-2 and since it was generally agreed that Sweden would reach the final 4 so the headlines were not nice. One reporter even asked one player, right after the game, "would you call this a flop?" He got a scoliding from the player, rightly so I think. However, I do like the sports where many teams/athletes all have a chance to win, and it's not one clear favourite.

In good news, curling ladies! I didn't watch the game, it started at midnight here, but it was good news to wake up to .

From reading here, it seems like not many here are followin the cross country skiing. From a Swedish point of view, the cross country skiing has been going well. Just the 50 km left and I hate that it's a mass start, so I probably won't watch the enitre race anyway, with a mass start only the last few kilometres are interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for new Swedish medals, but, honestly, I have no high hopes, it seems like they are better for the shorter distances.

So what the heck happened in the Canada/Slovokia hockey game? It was 3-0 and NBC's delayed coverage of everything else started on the main network. I flipped back figuring it would be 5-0 only to see it was 3-2 and watched the Slovaks almost tie the thing up.

I think we are going back to Vancouver on Sunday. Why not? It's going to be like deja vu except we have brunch reservations in a spot with a ginormous hd tv this time.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey

So sad to see Apolo DQ'd! It is part of the sport, I suppose. However, the same thing happened when the Canadian skater touched the Korean skater. Except the Canadian gave the Korean a whack and Apolo's touch was kind of like a slight "love pat." I think that probably should have been called too just to be consistent. Apolo thinks the Canadian ref made that decision to help out his country. Its probably true but part of the sport is luck and maybe Apolo was just unlucky that he was racing 2 Canadians and the ref was also Canadian. It's all about luck. And how unlucky was it that the U.S. relay team wasn't very strong? I hope our team improves by Sochi. It was sad to know this was the last time I would see Apolo skate.

Is anyone else getting tired of Lindsey Vonn? I appreciated her a lot last week when she was winning medals. She's fallen out of a lot of races recently and I don't understand why every alpine event has to be about her even when she is not skiing! Her time to shine has come and gone and I would like to hear some of the other stories. There are other skiiers on the team, right?

Yay for the U.S. pursuit teams! The women and the men both pulled out some shocking victories!

+ Reply to Thread