+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I think the only time the public gets upset with an athlete's performance, that I've really noticed, is when there is a perception that s/he is failing to live up to innate potential by purposefully slacking off or squandering it. I think Bode Miller got hit with that rap in the last Olympics because he failed to perform to expectations and because he joked about partying at an Olympic level and that the combination of the two was absolutely key in defining that perception. It's just like when Tony Romo (has no one noticed that I've managed to bring up Tony Romo 2x and Brett Favre in the Winter Olympics thread now?) was partying in Cabo two years ago in the middle of the playoffs and the Cowboys lost as a strong favorite.

Even with that criticism, though, it's rough because who knows what the outcome would have been otherwise and then it becomes this built-in sound bite that defines you as an athlete until you defeat the slacker label. I was thinking that when I saw Bode being interviewed by Matt Lauer earlier in the week. The poor guy just won a gold medal and he looked crazy defensive. It really must take a lot of inner reserve to overcome all of that but, ultimately, if you do something perceived as slackerish it really can come back to bite you if you've already proven yourself as an athlete who has the ability to perform at a very high level. Other than that, I think people expect athletes do to the best they can.

Oh, and with the sportscasters, I think a large part of what they are doing is handicapping the event which happens with all sporting events. A lot of these winter sports aren't avidly followed other than during the Olympics and they are just giving the background the same way as when you might watch the Saints play the Lions and -- if you weren't aware (sorry Daddyzgirl!) -- the sportscasters will let you know that the Saints are the heavy favorites to win. It has nothing to with American nationalistic fervor and doesn't mean that the Saints are worthless if they don't live up to that expectation, but it's just an innate part of the sporting world to discuss it.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3840989;
    Here is a link to the pictures of the hockey girls celebrating their gold. It seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. It probably wasn't the smartest thing, but sheesh (Have to admit I kind of laughed looking at them):

Canada's Women's Hockey team celebrate with beer, cigars; IOC gets huffy - Full Comment
    I admit, I looked at the picture and chuckled then groaned b/c smoking cigars--blech! But if the IOC is going to get their panties in a bunch about something, I'd rather they tackle the poor sportsmanship issues and leave the celebrating behind closed doors (or so they assumed) alone.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Thanks for sharing your pictures, M_shell! They were fabulous!

Uh-oh - Canadian women are out of the team pursuit. Wow... that was quite an upset considering they are ranked #1. Ouch...

FORT Fogey

Go team USA! I feel like there were a couple of disappointments in these games but how great is team USA doing? I still think Germany is going to end up beating us in the medal count (or at least with golds. A lot of countries will beat us in golds) but this is a really great showing. Add this with the Beijing Olympics, and it is clear the US is still the most dominant nation in the sporting world!
    And now we get a medal in men's hockey? great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3841163;
    Holy bleep! 6-0 USA after the first?!? I can't believe it. I turned it on on the radio in my office as soon as the Survivor interview ended and I was speechless.
    So 6-1 was the final. What happened to Sweden, guys? Wasn't Henrik Lundqvist playing goalie for them? It seems like they should have made it to the final four, doesn't it? Or is that just my bias since that's my ancestral homeland?
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I'm not sure who was playing goalie for them but they got upset by Slovokia.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3841217;
    So 6-1 was the final. What happened to Sweden, guys? Wasn't Henrik Lundqvist playing goalie for them? It seems like they should have made it to the final four, doesn't it? Or is that just my bias since that's my ancestral homeland?
    I don't think you're biased.

I find myself rooting for many of the teams because they have alot of players I like, especially Teemu Selanne, and Saku Koivu, love those guys.

Great job U.S mens hockey team! Sorry Saku,

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3840994;

Yes, it is your country but a little respect for your oponnents.
    As far as I know, the celebration occurred after everyone else left the building, so I don't think they intended any disrespect for their opponents by celebrating their win. It's not like they were chugging a Molson Canadian on the podium!

I think the mostly Canadian crowd showed a great deal of respect and admiration for the US team when they were chanting U-S-A! while the team was getting their silver medals. We love the fierce competition between the two countries in hockey, and I would hate to think the girl's team was disrespecting anyone. They were just happy and celebrating, that's all.

I agree, tempest in a teapot.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3841292;
    As far as I know, the celebration occurred after everyone else left the building, so I don't think they intended any disrespect for their opponents by celebrating their win. It's not like they were chugging a Molson Canadian on the podium!

I think the mostly Canadian crowd showed a great deal of respect and admiration for the US team when they were chanting U-S-A! while the team was getting their silver medals. We love the fierce competition between the two countries in hockey, and I would hate to think the girl's team was disrespecting anyone. They were just happy and celebrating, that's all.

I agree, tempest in a teapot.
    IA sweetpea they forgot to mention there was no one in the building other than the media. Having a good cuban cigar and champagne/beer is not an unusual way to celebrate. Taking performance enhancing drugs, winning the gold medal, and parading with your countrys flag is what the Olympic committe should be more concerned about.

They should have kept it in the locker room, because now somehow they make it sound like they don't deserve the medal.

I know, I felt wonderful, listening to the crowd chanting USA for the girls as they were getting their medals. They looked so sombre, and in tears some of them because they didn't win gold (that really irks me when an athlete does that) but by the time they got to almost the end of the line, some of the girls were really waving hard with big smiles to the crowd which brought out more cheers.

My son played soccer hockey and baseball. Every game, win or loose, in each sport, as young as 3 yrs old, they are taught to line up, shake hands, good job and off you go. In soccer, if an opposing player is knocked down, you help him up. I see that in the NFL once in awhile. I think its a display of true sportsmanship!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I have so loved watching these Winter Olympics! How fun to be able to watch all these sports that we don't usually get to see. Of course, there is always controversy and a small measure of bad sportsmanship but, all in all, I've seen alot of athletes who are just so happy and proud to be there and do their best. I even love the commercials for British Columbia that they've been showing ...looks like a most beautiful place! Canada has done a fabulous job hosting these Olympics and I always root for the Canadian athletes ...after the USA, of course! So glad we are neighbors!!

+ Reply to Thread