+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3840886;
    (is it so wrong that every time I type Mao Asada's name I think of carne asada and then I'm instantly hungry for a thick, juicy steak?? *sigh*)
    Every time I hear her name I think of "Chairman Mao". I think I prefer your association!!

It really has been such an exciting and beautiful Olympic games. We've spent so much time as a family cheering on the athletes, tearing up over the stories (and commercials...the Tim Hortons immigration one just gets me every time) and feeling so proud not only of our country's athletes but also of the country itself for putting on a great show.

Here is a link to the pictures of the hockey girls celebrating their gold. It seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. It probably wasn't the smartest thing, but sheesh (Have to admit I kind of laughed looking at them):

Canada's Women's Hockey team celebrate with beer, cigars; IOC gets huffy - Full Comment

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3840989;
    Here is a link to the pictures of the hockey girls celebrating their gold. It seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. It probably wasn't the smartest thing, but sheesh (Have to admit I kind of laughed looking at them):

Canada's Women's Hockey team celebrate with beer, cigars; IOC gets huffy - Full Comment
    i think also the problem is that some of the girls are underage. I am not sure NFL, NBA will allow athletes to celebrate this much, on the field. Go to the locker, have a private party.
    I am sorry, yes they should celebrate but this is bad taste. It kinds of remind me of when we were kids, making fun of kids when we beat them.

Yes, it is your country but a little respect for your oponnents.

I agree Jacobson, it wasn't the smartest move. It was supposed to be a private celebration, so I don't think they were making fun of anyone, but were over-exuberant. Those girl's have a lot of respect for the American team and that's probably part of the reason emotions were running high. There was a lot of pressure on them to win, and they were up against a very tough team.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3840886;
    I agree. It was so sad to see Mao Asada after her skate. She wasn't even remotely happy with a silver medal in the Olympics.

So many people are complaining that the broadcasters' comments that appear to suggest that anything less than a gold is unacceptable... but what about these countries where it is truly the case? So much pressure put on these athletes. Shoot, Irina Rodnina was already declaring the Russian ice skating a "complete and utter failure" and calling for the Russian ice skating program to be fired after taking a silver and bronze in men's and ice dancing. It almost makes Plushenko's attitude understandable.

Compare Asada's reaction with Nagasu's sheer joy in taking fourth. Asada should have been over the moon, the poor thing.

(is it so wrong that every time I type Mao Asada's name I think of carne asada and then I'm instantly hungry for a thick, juicy steak?? *sigh*)
    This is an excellent point, Broadway. The US gets a bad rap for being hyper-competitive but I think we have very high expectations along with being able to be always appreciative. Winning is the point in sports and anyone who is averse to competition should probably take up knitting but I don't know many Americans who aren't also able to say 'great effort' and mean it regardless of an outcome. And if the pressure being put on some of these other athletes in some of the other nations is being portrayed accurately then that's really unfortunate -- much more so than what I believe is an overly simplistic view of the American competitive spirit.

And, I have another one for you: Tony Romo.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

This is this week's SI cover (you can click on the thumbnail to make larger). Lindsey and Julia seem to be getting along fine here although I suppose Bode is standing between them in case a cat fight breaks out :
    Andrew Weibrecht, Alpine Skiing, USA - 03.01.10 - SI Vault0301_large.jpg

ETA: Sorry, too late to edit my other post but I didn't see CIC's post there and my language about pressure might seem as it's a response to her post but I was responding to the line of thinking that Broadway made reference to.
    Last edited by chrisg; 02-26-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I understood that chrisg I think the Canadians and Americans have the same sort of pressure (different than some other countries), and being "at home" just adds a new level although losing is not seen as a disgrace. I love seeing the athletes that are happy to win any medal, not just gold.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3841057;
    I understood that chrisg I think the Canadians and Americans have the same sort of pressure (different than some other countries), and being "at home" just adds a new level although losing is not seen as a disgrace. I love seeing the athletes that are happy to win any medal, not just gold.
    I agree completely, and that's why I also brought up Mirai Nagasu's joyful reaction on even finishing fourth. So many athletes and teams are so happy at just making the Olympics. Sure, our announcers may be buffoons when they appear to suggest that anything less than a gold is unacceptable, but our collective performances (both American and Canadian) have shown the exact opposite: that simply being invited to the party is enough and any award is gravy.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Holy bleep! 6-0 USA after the first?!? I can't believe it. I turned it on on the radio in my office as soon as the Survivor interview ended and I was speechless.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread