+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Wow the Korean girl, KIM, was just untouchable. Her total score is 228.56 while the 2nd place has 205.50. She just dominated the competition
    Nagasu and the finish girl Laura, really stepped it up. Congrat to Nagasu.

Yay Mirai! She did a fantastic job and I'm looking forward to seeing her more in the future. After Mirai was done the female announcer said something about how her program was so "age appropriate". Huh? Because there are a lot of inappropriate skating routines out there???

Sandra Bezic has always given very strange and biting commentary.

What a beautiful performance the So. Korean woman had. And what an honor to be the first from her country to medal in figure skating.
    Definitely one of the best figure skating performances ever.
    Loved the Canadian (her mother was smiling down on her) and the Japanese woman, too.
    And I was thrilled that Mirai came in 4th.
    That 16 yr old is going to be someone to watch in the future.
    Well, at least tonight it ended a little early - 12:15!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

To the Point

The gold medal routine was performed with beauty. Kim has great personality to go along with her technical ability. I couldn't help but think about how difficult it must be for competitors from countries such as Korea and Japan that put soooo much pressure on these young people to win gold. You know that has to be a tremendous weight.

Happy for Joannie! I sat at home and cried for and with her as she accepted the bronze.

Thought both Americans performed well. Mirai was so much fun to watch both on the ice [B]and[B] in the kiss and cry. She really is just delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3840628;
    Congrats to the women's hockey team...gold baby, gold!

Pretty cool to see Wayne Gretzky and Michael J. Fox in the crowd. Could have done without seeing Harper and Campbell sitting together though (shudder).

The men's team, watching from the boxes, were all so serious. You can tell they are focused about the next game, and hopefully the last game after that. No pressure, guys! You'd think they would be sporting a smile for the women's team, but they were really sombre the both times the camera panned to them. Let's hope they pull it out and win their own gold on Sunday. You can believe almost every television set in Canada will be watching that game!!
    I said the same thing, my son said "they better not show any excitement, no celebrating until they win gold too!" Maybe they were learning from the women and absorbing the jubilation and envisioning themselves in anticipation of their turn?

Big day for the Canadian Womens curling teams today!! Haaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!

Men's biatholon is on while I'm at work. I'm just going to have to watch some of it online!! What a grueling sport that is!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3840848;
    The gold medal routine was performed with beauty. Kim has great personality to go along with her technical ability. I couldn't help but think about how difficult it must be for competitors from countries such as Korea and Japan that put soooo much pressure on these young people to win gold. You know that has to be a tremendous weight.
    I agree. It was so sad to see Mao Asada after her skate. She wasn't even remotely happy with a silver medal in the Olympics.

So many people are complaining that the broadcasters' comments that appear to suggest that anything less than a gold is unacceptable... but what about these countries where it is truly the case? So much pressure put on these athletes. Shoot, Irina Rodnina was already declaring the Russian ice skating a "complete and utter failure" and calling for the Russian ice skating program to be fired after taking a silver and bronze in men's and ice dancing. It almost makes Plushenko's attitude understandable.

Compare Asada's reaction with Nagasu's sheer joy in taking fourth. Asada should have been over the moon, the poor thing.

(is it so wrong that every time I type Mao Asada's name I think of carne asada and then I'm instantly hungry for a thick, juicy steak?? *sigh*)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Uh oh. The Canadian women's hockey team is in hot water for apparently drinking beer and champagne and smoking cigars in the middle of the rink after ALL the fans had left the building. An AP photographer got some great pictures, but apparently this isn't the image the IOC wants its athletes to portray. I say, c'mon, let them celebrate!! No fans were in the building, and sure it probably should have stayed in the locker room or somewhere, but sheesh, lighten up IOC. (maybe it's just a Canadian thing, but drinking beer after they won a gold medal...nothing strange there to me).

The only unfortunate thing though is explaining to their young fans about smoking a cigar. Even as a celebration, it's gross. :nono

To the Point

Probably didn't help that there was at least one 18 year old drinking. BC's age for drinking is 19. However, I just think it's the whole image thing. The American, Scott Lago, who won bronze in Half Pipe was asked to come home by the team officials to keep from getting undue attention because of unseemly pictures taken with his medal.

Was the 18-year-old from Alberta? She probably forgot which province she was in.

The pictures are the problem, for sure, but I don't think it's a huge deal to their image. It will blow over. Now if it were a bunch of the figure skaters sitting around in their gorgeous outfits puffing on a stogie and drinking a beer after their medal match...I'd be like

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832807;
    Okay, does that Visa commercial with Dan Jansen make anyone else cry....every time?
    Yup, every single time. I remember his first Olympics (I admit, I had a crush-LOL!) when the commentators spoke about his sister and when he fell, it broke my heart. Years later, I was again cheering him on and crying with joy that he won and then crying when he skated the victory lap with his daughter. So seeing both of those scenes together in the commercial really gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3836571;
    Get to know us. I just had to share this with everyone.

YouTube - Tom Brokaw Explains Canada To Americans
    I loved this and thought it was amazing before the Opening Ceremonies. What a beautiful country filled with amazing people.

My comments-- this has really been an amazing Olympics, both in terms of scenery and performances.

It's been so much fun, watching Bode doing so well and Apolo and all the other athletes who've made the podiums.

I admit, I'm annoyed with the whole Vonn/Mancuso rivalry. Even before Julia came out and was upset about her run being interrupted, I didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling for her. I could care less about her tiara (though I think it's a little ostentatious) but what I do care about is how the constantly falls to the ground and kicks her feet, whether happy or sad. What is she, two?? I hated my kids watching that.

As for her run, it is what it is so suck it up and deal with it! I guess I just don't understand the jealousy--aren't the Olympics when pettiness is thrown aside?? At least I think it should be. Maybe she should team up with Pleshenko and they can bemoan their losses and stoke their sour grapes together. :nono
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread