+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3839744;
    The problem is the skating order, not NBC's coverage (although it does suck!). Unless I'm sadly mistaken, they are showing the women's figure skating live. The best skaters always pull the later draws so that's why their coverage is so late on the East Coast. They'll break in and show someone noteworthy that has an early draw (like Nagasu.. she's not highly ranked but she's an American skater so they'll want to cover her), but then they'll come back for solid coverage for the last two groups.

But, I'm not on the East Coast.
    THat's why it makes no sense to me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

They aren't showing the figure skating live on the West Coast - it's on tape delay. The events usually start between 4 and 5 PST, which means they probably air live on the East Coast. NBC is airing them on at least a 3-hour delay.

ETA: I wonder if Sven Kramer has fired his coach yet. If it was me, I would have given him the boot immediately. His stupid error cost Sven a gold medal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3840064;

ETA: I wonder if Sven Kramer has fired his coach yet. If it was me, I would have given him the boot immediately. His stupid error cost Sven a gold medal.
    No, they've talked it out. Kramer said that his coach had gotten him through many competitions before and anyone could make a stupid mistake. He also said that as the athlete it was ultimately his responsibility to know what track to skate on so he bore some fault. I'm sure both still feel crappy about it but he won a gold already at the Games so he won't go home empty-handed.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I felt really bad for Sven. 10,000 meters is a looooong way, and he clearly won I understand the need for rules though. Also felt bad for the Koreans last night. The Canadian women's curling team squeaked out a win against the Swiss so are in the gold medal final. I heard Cheryl (the skip) is not feeling well. It certainly wasn't her finest game, but the other skip had an even worse game The Swedes are going to be tough. I should add, it was still awesome curling; it's so easy to become an armchair expert

Back in the day when I could watch Canadian Olympic coverage *sigh*, I became a huge Sandra Schmerler fan. When I found out she died of cancer, I felt like I lost a friend.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3839786;
    I think you are right about the skating being live on the East Coast and the skating order. Sadly, we get a three hour tape delay version so instead of us seeing it live, it ends just as late here.
    Isn't it even later than the East coast sees it? They were finishing up skating at midnight! I know skating events can start in late afternoon/evening, but are they really skating at midnight?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3840231;
    Isn't it even later than the East coast sees it? They were finishing up skating at midnight! I know skating events can start in late afternoon/evening, but are they really skating at midnight?
    Well, figure that if they showed it live here, midnight would equal 9 pm. That seems about right.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3840235;
    Well, figure that if they showed it live here, midnight would equal 9 pm. That seems about right.
    The men's event ended just after 9 pm PST the other night.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best. Vacation. Ever!!! A little sad that I couldn't stay till the end of the week, but everything I got to do & see was awesome! I thought about putting my pics in the vacation thread, but its all about the Olympics so hoping heres OK!

As we got into Vancouver we found out that my bfs childhood friend, Mike Robertson won silver in snowboard cross, I'll get to meet him this summer! On the 16th we had tickets (3rd row!) to the men's afternoon curling...I was almost shocked by how exciting it was...we even did the wave a few times! The US vs Swiss was such a good game, two measure offs and it went into overtime. In the pic it looks like the swiss guys is about to wack the American! lol

We went to the Molson Canadian Hockey House after the game, it was a bit of a let down, tickets were $99, the food wasn't very good, tables were few and far between and drinks were about $7, but the atmosphere was pretty good! The Canadian comic from the from the most recent Last Comic Standing was on stage for a bit while we were there.
    Next we went to the Czech vs Slovakia mens hockey game, second row from the very back, but it was soooooo awesome to actually be there! (Got to see where the Canucks play <3!)

On the 18th we got to go see the mens figure skating! We missed the first Canadian due to some transit issues...we accidentally got on a commuter train out of Van :p!! But were there in time to see the last 16 or so compete!
    A little dissapointed that Patrick Chan fell, but he still did really well!

Lysacek did really well, but I think it was a really close call between him and Plushenko, after he landed the quad the whole arena was totally into the routine and we were all on the edges of our seats waiting for the final score.
    Lysacek:

The other American was good, but I won't lie I was excited that he didn't beat Chan...I was holding out hope that he would get the bronze! While they were warming up I really liked his bright sparkly white costume and the routine definately didn't dissapoint!

(these pictures were so hard to take fully zoomed on my camera while they zig and zag all over the ice!)
    We got to go to the metal presentation for Saturday night in vancouver and watch the Canadian get his gold metal over the huge screens at BC place (actual happened in Whistler) it was pretty awesome singing the Canadian anthem with so many people tho!
    Crazy long line ups were the only downside to the huge crowds that were everywhere downtown, but it was so fun just to walk down Robson and around by the water!

We were fully Canadianed out everytime we went anywhere!

It was the best vacation I've been on by FAR and I've never been more proud to be Canadian!!! Hope everyone is enjying the games this much!!

(PS I read the gammer thread, but I'm just no good at it)
    ETA: not sure why my pictures are so huge?! I resized them again in photobucket and its not updating here!! I'll try again tomorrow, already 45 mins late leaving work today
    Last edited by M_shelll; 02-25-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Pictures are still huge :(

Great pics, thanks for posting!! I used to live in Vancouver, right downtown, so when I see pictures of a sunny day there I miss it so much. Glad you had a great time!

+ Reply to Thread