+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I'm kind of getting annoyed with the conditions of these Olympics. I want the best athletes to win under normal conditions. The conditions in Canada have not been normal. The snow is too soft, the fog is rolling in, some of the courses are tougher than normal, the ice is slow, and the luge track was deadly. I've seen a lot of skiers fall when they usually wouldn't. It is kind of a mess. I really wanted to root for Canada in the bobsled but they were probably the only teams familiar with the deadly track. It kind of made it so expected. I just wish everything was going well with the weather and the courses and ice.

Anyway, what a big day for Canada. This is really great for them. I just hope they can catch up with their medal count from Torino.
    My heart goes out to Julia Mancuso! Her chances were snatched from her after she was stopped on the course. Too bad! She was so good. Also, a heartbreaker for team Korea. I think I see why they were disqualified, but it was tough to see the call made after they were popping champagne and carrying all those flags around the track. Glad the USA got a medal though. One of the skaters bumped into a skater that wasn't racing. That's why they were so behind in the first place. Happy things worked out for them.
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

FORT Fogey

I am confused why was Julia on the track the same time as Lyndsey? Is this normal? I thought it was completely unfair to make her go right back up and go again. If she got the yellow flag, they should have let her wait awhile to go again or taken her best score from the top to where she was stopped and add it to the bottom portion. I can really see why these two might have a rivalry, it is always Lyndsey this Lyndsey that nonstop. It is making me not care too much for her.

On a side note, way to go Apolo. I watch speedskating strictly for him, but I am kind of getting tired of him versus the Korean trifecta. I wish that one time in the qualifying the Koreans would not be split up in three different heats so one could not make the finals.

CCL

Apparently it is normal to have two skiers on a run (at least that's what the announcer said). I don't see why as the runs aren't that long but I guess if that's what they do...they had the yellow flag to stop Mancuso, and she knew what it meant, so that tells me that it is not the first time a skier has been stopped on her run. It did suck for her, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3839688;
    I'm kind of getting annoyed with the conditions of these Olympics. I want the best athletes to win under normal conditions. The conditions in Canada have not been normal. The snow is too soft, the fog is rolling in, some of the courses are tougher than normal, the ice is slow, and the luge track was deadly. I've seen a lot of skiers fall when they usually wouldn't. It is kind of a mess. I really wanted to root for Canada in the bobsled but they were probably the only teams familiar with the deadly track. It kind of made it so expected. I just wish everything was going well with the weather and the courses and ice.
    When you're dealing with outdoor events you are never going to have "normal" conditions. It's going to rain or snow or do what Nature will. And there are different types of snow all over the world and on any given day, depending if it has snowed or if it has been warm or cold. Some athletes ski better on softer snow, or harder snow or whatever - they can't make the snow ideal for every athlete. Skiers often fall in competition - it's not unusual.

As for the "deadly track" ...I think that's a harsh description personally. The Americans were in second place going into the last run but they slowed down a bit in the run and moved down to third.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

To the Point

Too lazy to quote anyone but here are my responses to several posts....

I think what may initially make people compare Rachael Flatt to Tanya Harding is body type. Neither of them make me think ice skater in that regard. I also agree that Rachael just doesn't seem to have the grace and smoothness of the greats. Just not as pretty to watch.

Conditions aren't ideal in regards to weather and some of the ice conditions. However, these athletes have faced weather and ice conditions not conducive to great performances throughtout their careers if they've been around very long. While unusual and unfortunate, especailly for an Olympic situation, it hasn't made the competitions any less fair. Last I checked we don't get to control the weather. Everyone has had to ski, skate and whatever, in the same conditions. Sometimes an athlete is fortunate to make runs before conditions deteriorate, sometimes they aren't as fortunate, but that's stuff they face in any venue.

Evidently when conditions are deteriorating, as in the race yesterday, they will decrease the intervals between start times. I think yesterday they were sending racers down 1 minute apart or something like that. It's not unheard of and is apparently a standard practice in such situations. Yesterday it just happened to cause other issues. I'm surprised that they'd make that decision on a course that has seen a fair number of crashes. However, I don't get to see enough skiing in non-olympic years to know whether the number of crashes is really that much greater than most other high-level courses. I hated that Julie was going to have to start over. That does indeed seem unfair.

Yay for Canada Hockey! I was so excited for them. Now, granted some of that excitement probably was a result of their opponent being Russia, however...yay! I would love for them to meet USA in the final. That way I'd be fine with either team winning. Make no mistake, I'd be pulling for the US, but I wouldn't be upset at either outcome.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 02-25-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3838843;
    I'm not happy with NBC's coverage. As soon as I get into watching skating, they cut away to something else. They've done that throughout and I realize they're trying to appeal to a wide audience, but I'm a little tired of having to stay up until 12:30 or later to catch what I want to see.
    The problem is the skating order, not NBC's coverage (although it does suck!). Unless I'm sadly mistaken, they are showing the women's figure skating live. The best skaters always pull the later draws so that's why their coverage is so late on the East Coast. They'll break in and show someone noteworthy that has an early draw (like Nagasu.. she's not highly ranked but she's an American skater so they'll want to cover her), but then they'll come back for solid coverage for the last two groups.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3839744;
    The problem is the skating order, not NBC's coverage (although it does suck!). Unless I'm sadly mistaken, they are showing the women's figure skating live. The best skaters always pull the later draws so that's why their coverage is so late on the East Coast. They'll break in and show someone noteworthy that has an early draw (like Nagasu.. she's not highly ranked but she's an American skater so they'll want to cover her), but then they'll come back for solid coverage for the last two groups.
    I think you are right about the skating being live on the East Coast and the skating order. Sadly, we get a three hour tape delay version so instead of us seeing it live, it ends just as late here.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

As far as sending the skiers down the hill a minute apart, a Canadian (? I think) announcer suggested they should do that with the bottom 30 skiers, and let the top 30 or so skiers go down separately. I guess he thought the ones that had a chance of medalling should be given a clear shot. I thought about that for a while and I'm not sure if I agree. The games are about equal opportunity for all, and maybe an unknown could pull it out for a gold. You never know. It's going to be another late night in the canuck house as we watch women's hockey, curling and the ice skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3839786;
    I think you are right about the skating being live on the East Coast and the skating order. Sadly, we get a three hour tape delay version so instead of us seeing it live, it ends just as late here.
    UGH. Now that would definitely stink. Do they do the entire west coast show on tape delay?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3839849;
    As far as sending the skiers down the hill a minute apart, a Canadian (? I think) announcer suggested they should do that with the bottom 30 skiers, and let the top 30 or so skiers go down separately. I guess he thought the ones that had a chance of medalling should be given a clear shot. I thought about that for a while and I'm not sure if I agree. The games are about equal opportunity for all, and maybe an unknown could pull it out for a gold. You never know. It's going to be another late night in the canuck house as we watch women's hockey, curling and the ice skating.
    I heard one of the announcers on NBC say something very similar. I agree with you, I didn't like that idea either. The Olympics should be about giving all athletes the same opportunity. You just never know when someone might surprise you!!

It drives me crazy when the announcers say things like "Well, so-and-so did as good as they could have expected. They didn't really have a chance for a medal."

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3839867;
    UGH. Now that would definitely stink. Do they do the entire west coast show on tape delay?
    Mostly, including yesterday's USA/Switzerland hockey game. They were planning on doing the same thing for Friday's semifinal and for the bronze and gold medal games. The rumor is that the West Coast villagers circling with their pitchforks and the analogies to tape delaying the Super Bowl finally got through. However, the majority of the coverage is going to remain on tape delay. It makes things really tricky. If we switch over to espn in the evening to check on college basketball, we run the risk of not only seeing the results from things earlier in the day but also things that the East Coast got to see live.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread