+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 112 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3837787;
    The ladies short program is airing now in MN!! Mirai Nagasu just finished and she did a lovely job. She is a beautiful spinner!
    ETA - I have no idea how she ended up with a nose bleed - did she really spin that hard!?

The long program will be on Thursday.
    She spinned very hard. I've never seen anybody spin that much.

I'm not happy with NBC's coverage. As soon as I get into watching skating, they cut away to something else. They've done that throughout and I realize they're trying to appeal to a wide audience, but I'm a little tired of having to stay up until 12:30 or later to catch what I want to see.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3838843;
    I'm not happy with NBC's coverage. As soon as I get into watching skating, they cut away to something else. They've done that throughout and I realize they're trying to appeal to a wide audience, but I'm a little tired of having to stay up until 12:30 or later to catch what I want to see.
    The coverage does go way too late, but they're breaking - at least toward the end - when there's a break in the competition for ice resurfacing and warm-ups. Like someone else upthread mentioned, I miss the Olympics on ABC!

Ice dancing pre-new scoring system was known to be unfair and filled with judges who weren't ethical. There was no change in the standings from dance to dance, no matter what any team did, short of falling. Judges were known to have voted in blocs to help out skaters from certain countries, especially Russia. I think many of the Russians who are complaining now are just pissed off that they don't have that built-in advantage. It all hit the fan in SLC and everything changed. They need to stop whining and get over it....and learn how to work within the new scoring system.

I'm not a fan of Rachel Flatt either. She reminds me too much of Tonya Harding. Honestly, I don't think the US has had a really great Olympic champion since Kristi. It would be nice to see someone win and then stay in the sport long-term instead of just disappearing.

The Korean champion was clearly the best one out there. She was a joy to watch. I wonder what those Russian naysayers think about the fact that the girl who will most likely win the ladies competition is coached by a Canadian!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Every time I see Rachel Flatt's name, my mind reads it as Rascal Flatts at first. I fell asleep during last night's coverage and missed the Korean skater. And, Joannie. This morning I thought I'd watch them On Demand on Comcast since they keep advertising that you can watch the Olympics On Demand. Uh, not so much. All they had was Nagasu who I had seen.

And, if the rumor is true that NBC is going to tape delay the Bronze and Gold Medal Hockey games on the West Coast, I'm going back to Vancouver or at least to Bellingham which can pick up the Canadian broadcast if the US is in either game.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I'm sorry to say that I'm not impressed with Rachell Flatt and, yes Mariner, you're not the only one who wants to call her Rascal Flatts!
    She did skate a very clean program but there was absolutely no magic for me.
    And, I hate to agree with Critical on this, but I kept thinking Tonya Harding when I was watching her. I just don't see the level of grace that I expect from a champion skater.
    I was hoping that she'd benefit from Dorothy's mentoring of her, but I'm just not seeing it and I'm sorry to say that.

I agree with Critical and norealityhere about Rachael Flatt. She isn't quite as harsh to me as Tonya Harding, but the general impression is the same. Strong jumps, very little overall performance appeal. And it doesn't help when the announcers gush over her - they aren't going to convince me to like her style!!

I was even more impressed with Mirai's spinning after watching the top ladies. I thought she was much better in that aspect than even the top Korean and Japanese skaters!! I am thrilled for her that she is in 6th going into the free skate, she looked delighted last night!

I totally agree regarding the spinner. She did a phenomenal job.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3838907;
    I agree with Critical and norealityhere about Rachael Flatt. She isn't quite as harsh to me as Tonya Harding, but the general impression is the same. Strong jumps, very little overall performance appeal. And it doesn't help when the announcers gush over her - they aren't going to convince me to like her style!!

I was even more impressed with Mirai's spinning after watching the top ladies. I thought she was much better in that aspect than even the top Korean and Japanese skaters!! I am thrilled for her that she is in 6th going into the free skate, she looked delighted last night!
    Marai's layback spin was gorgeous! She's definitely the best spinner in the competition.

I guess there's one good thing about being out of work - I can stay up late to watch the delayed Olympic coverage without worrying about getting up early for work
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Guys, here's some info about the chilly relationship between Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso. From the NYT:

WHISTLER, British Columbia — Lindsey Vonn was asked Wednesday about some mildly disapproving comments her teammate Julia Mancuso said in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated. Mancuso lamented the popularity contest aspect of their relationship and Vonn’s impact on the team dynamic.

“Our team is struggling, as a group,” Mancuso told the magazine. “People are having a hard time reaching their potential because it’s such a struggle for attention. You come to meetings after races and it’s like it’s a bad day if Lindsey didn’t do well.”

Said Vonn after the first run of Wednesday’s giant slalom, in which she was leading until she fell: “I try to support Julia as much as I support all the other teammates. I’ve been racing with Julia since I was a little kid and yes, we’re competitors, but I always support her. It definitely has hurt me that she has said some negative things about me. All I can do is to continue to support her the way I always have been and hope that she reciprocates that.”

Mancuso often appears conflicted by her relationship with Vonn, who she has raced against since the two were 12 years old. Last week, Mancuso defended the attention Vonn has received and admitted she may have thrived during the Vancouver Olympics because so much pressure and media attention was focused on Vonn.

“She really does deserve it,” Mancuso said of Vonn after Mancuso won the silver medal in the super combined. “She’s had an incredible career so far, winning two World Cup overalls and having like 30-plus World Cup wins. That’s pretty impressive. So she deserves the attention.”
    Vonn Declines to Fire Back after Mancuso Comments - Vancouver 2010 Blog - NYTimes.com
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I fell asleep during the ladies short programs too! I did see Mirai Nagasu and the skater from Turkey along with a couple of others. It's really nice that sponsors step forward in many countries to help some of these parents make the trip to see their children at the Olympics.

I'm going to go to NBC's site and watch the video of Joanie Rochette. I hope she continues to do well. It reminds me of when Brett Favre played right after his Father's death.

ETA: Broadway. Hope your Dad is doing a little better in terms of coping, too.
    Last edited by chrisg; 02-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3838843;
    She spinned very hard. I've never seen anybody spin that much.

I haven't seen any skating this year because of that. They show you one skater to get you intersted, then we'll be back later. Sorry, I have to get up at 5:30 and I can't stay up that late to watch. I've NEVER like NBC's coverage.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread