+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 112 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

When things like the skating nonsense over the medals is put out there, it just damages the integrity of the games. It is horrible to have such sour grapes. Noone is perfect, and you can practice all you want, but anyone can have a slip or a bad day, and anyone can have a great day and a great performance. I wish all athletes were gracious just to have the experience that many of us do not get close to.

FORT Fogey

Show of hands, does anyone believe Plushenko didn't know that "platinum medal" was on his website?
    i can't find my hands.

the korean girl is really really good. reminds me of young michelle kwan

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3837857;
    This editorial from the Russian newspaper Pravda just made me laugh with its ridiculousness:

Source: The Province/Canwest Publishing: What they're saying
    Did I miss the fact that all of the judges were Canadian? What a nasty, nasty nation (Russia..not Canada).

Oh, the Canadian figure skater is on now. Having lost my mother in December, I cannot imagine being able to comport myself enough to perform in front of a crowd so soon after her sudden loss. Amazing.

eta: oh my... she did wonderful! I'm crying along with her.
    Last edited by Broadway; 02-24-2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

ohhh, did you see rachel's home video when she was a kid. so sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3838059;

eta: oh my... she did wonderful! I'm crying along with her.
    I teared up with her at the end of her routine when she was overcome with emotion. She skated wonderfully and that performance was about so much more for her than the competition.

Kim Yu-Na just blew me away...entertaining and showed a lot of personality with the Bond theme.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

My heart was breaking for Joannie tonight. When her face crumbled at the end, so heartbreaking. I cannot imagine being able to compose myself enough to perform so soon after losing my Mom so suddenly and tragically, and then to perform so beautifully. The entire country is proud of her, the medals mean nothing at this point.

Broadway, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I cannot even imagine. She deserves the gold for her performance tonight, to skate like that after losing her mother so recently. I would be a basket case. I was tearing up watching her, and I think Scott Hamilton was as well. I'm rooting for her, that is for sure.

FORT Fogey

I cried so hard for her. Must have been so hard to put them skates on during this time. Her mother would be so proud of her.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3836610;
    The ice dancing pair really think they should have been ranked higher, or do they think that Tanith and Ben should have been third?

Have you heard that Plushenko has now created a medal for himself? On his website he's now touting that he won the Platinum medal at the 2010 Olympic games. The guy is a creep.
    The Russian Ice Dancing pair actually thought that they should have been higher. Hard to believe. Watching their performances, I just had a hard time figuring out how they ended up with the bronze. IMO they should have been out of the medals.

Plushenko needs to just shut up and get over it! His crap hurts the sport and hurts the image of his people. Of course, the ice dancing pair are right there with him. I always thought that a good number of the Russians were arrogant in their dominance. That being said, I always wondered how much of my opinion was influenced by world politics during that time. Now, I'm thinking they truly were just that arrogant. I realize it's probably very difficult to realize that your country no longer rules in Olympic competition, however show some grace and just move on. Plushenko needs to look in the mirror because he blamed the scoring system when he knew what the new scoring system entailed. Had he played to the scoring system instead of thumbing his nose at it and trying to win on just one element maybe he'd have the gold. Rules change in sports all the time. You either adjust to the changes or fail to compete.

I was so tired last night that I fell asleep during the ladies short program. I did see a couple of skaters. I saw the leader's program all the way through. She's amazing! I also saw parts of the two Americans. From what I saw it seemed they both did well. I'm not a real fan of Rachel-American Champion (is that the right name). I don't enjoy watching her skate but still wanted her to perform well. Was so happy for the Canadian. My heart just goes out to her. I cannot imagine the emotional turmoil she must be experiencing during this time.

I agree NCLurker, my daughter and I were watching and had a hard time believing the Russians picked up a bronze in ice dancing. They were quite slow, and seemed robotic. Honestly, I will admit I don't know enough about the sport to have been able to tell the difference between the Americans and Canadians. I thought both programs were excellent. I guess that is where the expertise of the judges come in to play: looking at edges and technique etc. I would have been happy with either team winning ( North America!) But as a lay person sitting on my couch at home, I know what I see, and the Russians just weren't skating as well as the two top teams that night.

I think the whole country was in tears along with Joannie last night. I'm sorry for your loss Broadway, that must have been a tough moment for you.. I also hope the cameras give her some privacy, and stop with the replays Canadian media. It was great to see the whole Canadian figure skating team up in the stands to show support for her. I don't know how she is doing it, but I am sure her mom approves.

+ Reply to Thread