+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 112 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by daddyzgirl;3837185;
    This was a great piece! They even gave a shout out to my hometown - Windsor, Ontario! Thanks for the link.
    Oh that was beautiful! Thank you Tom Brokaw for doing such a lovely job.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3836571;
    Get to know us. I just had to share this with everyone.

YouTube - Tom Brokaw Explains Canada To Americans
    NBC aired that the night of the Opening Ceremonies. I thought it was fantastic, Of course, I've always had a crush on Tom Brokaw, so I'd think anything he did was fantastic!

Man, Plushenko is just taking poor sportsmanship to new lows. He lost, fair and square. If his jumps had been better and he'd paid attention to the new scoring rules, he probably would have won. Time to move on and accept the fact that, on that night, he got out-skated.

The Russians have no leg to stand on with their complaints about the ice dancing scoring. Their team was obviously not up to the level of previous Russian pairs. The only reason they were even on the podium is because they won the compulsory dance. Otherwise, they would have been in 4th place. It seems like the Russians can't let go of the fact that the time of their dominance in figure skating is over. I think it's time for them to let go of the past and regroup.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have to say, I didn't really like that Phantom of the Opera number, probably because I can't stand that musical or anything by Lloyd Webber. As soon as the vocals kicked in, I had to mute it. I did like the Indian number last night a lot.

Ah, good to know I'm not the only person who is not at all a fan of Mr. Webber's.
    That said, though, I did think that the music very well fit and enriched their performance and it was probably one of the few times I've said that about Mr. W.

Have to say that I did love the Canadians and felt their gold medal was well deserved.

I am looking forward to the ladies' figure skating and the opportunity to see the So. Korean lady who is quite amazing. Does anybody know when it wil air? TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3837314;
    I am looking forward to the ladies' figure skating and the opportunity to see the So. Korean lady who is quite amazing. Does anybody know when it wil air? TIA
    The ladies short program is airing now in MN!! Mirai Nagasu just finished and she did a lovely job. She is a beautiful spinner!
    ETA - I have no idea how she ended up with a nose bleed - did she really spin that hard!?

The long program will be on Thursday.

CCL

This editorial from the Russian newspaper Pravda just made me laugh with its ridiculousness:

From Pravda, Russia:

"Vancouver is not fit to hold the Winter Olympics. Far from being a question of sour grapes, Russian commentators were already expressing their reservations as to the integrity of the Vancouver Lobby being able to host the Olympic Games weeks before the start.

"We all know Canada has problems with the future lines drawn on Arctic maps and we all know Canada lives in the shadow of its larger neighbour to the south . . . [T]he utter incapacity of this county to host a major international event, due to its inferiority complex, [is] born of a trauma being the skinny and weakling bro to a beefy United States and a colonial outpost to the United Kingdom.

"Maybe it is this which makes the Canadians so . . . retentive, or cowardly. So it is not exactly a huge surprise to have international skating experts . . . criticizing the decision to award the men's figure skating Gold medal to the U.S. athlete Evan Lysacekv over the reigning Olympic Champion Evgeny Plushenko, whose superior performance was inexplicably ignored.

"Everybody who knows anything about Olympic skating, Winter Olympic sports and international politics will infer from the pitiful and dangerous conditions provided by the Canadian authorities, which already caused one death, that Vancouver is mutton dressed as lamb. Take off the outer veneer and the stench is horrific. It is a surprise that any Russian athlete would wish to remain in that sort of environment for a second longer."
    Source: The Province/Canwest Publishing: What they're saying
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

More medal drama for Plushenko | NBC Olympics

Someone needs to get over themselves in a hurry!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

that plushenko guy is becoming quiet disrespectful to the sport and the olympic as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3837857;
    This editorial from the Russian newspaper Pravda just made me laugh with its ridiculousness:
    That editorial was utter nonsense! You're right CCL, it was truly laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3837857;
    Apparently, Canada was good enough to host the Olympics in Montreal and Calgary when the then Soviet Union won the most medals. Now that they're not winning, Canada is the problem. It's like the land of poor sports. Someone from the Russian Olympic Committee had better step up and smooth this over. These people who are speaking out are making the whole country look very bad.

Show of hands, does anyone believe Plushenko didn't know that "platinum medal" was on his website?

I think the problem is that most of the people complaining grew up in the era of Soviet dominance when the government funneled tons of money into athletics so that the country would win no matter what. Those days are over and no one got the memo. I'm sure a lot of the Russian coaches in America have a much better life than they could in Russia right now and are probably making a lot more money.

I think the guy from the ice dancing pair said something to the effect that the only way the Northern Americans are winning is because they have Russian coaches and that all the Russian coaches should be made to return to Russia. I'm sure none of these criticisms would have been made if these skaters all won gold.

I can only imagine what's going to happen in Sochi if there aren't enough Russian medalists. Will Russia then not be fit to hold an Olympics or will be fix be in and Russia will dominate in the medals?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think I've seen all of three figure skaters so far tonight, but I've enjoyed all of them. I hadn't remembered the Turkish girl from 2006, but that was a nice story and I'm glad her parents were able to be there watching tonight.

The Band of Brothers theme for the men's nordic combined? Interesting, NBC.

+ Reply to Thread