+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 112 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Congratulations to Tessa and Scott on a well-earned gold medal! Their program tonight was my favorite of the entire competition. It was just perfect from start to finish. The only thing that would have made the competition better is if Tanith and Ben had gotten the bronze.

I must say, I was completely unimpressed with the Russians this year. Their costumes were horrid, the routines were lackluster and their styling was out of the 80's. I just wanted to give that guy a haircut or a ponytail holder. My favorite ice dancing pair of all time is Usova and Zhulin, who were so exquisite on the ice (You know, until he had that affair and they switched partners and all that...). How far Russian ice dancing has fallen

I have to say, I didn't really like that Phantom of the Opera number, probably because I can't stand that musical or anything by Lloyd Webber. As soon as the vocals kicked in, I had to mute it. I did like the Indian number last night a lot.

My favorite part of the competition was the medal ceremony when the Canadian national anthem played and the entire crowd - and Tessa and Scott - sang it at the top of their lungs. I definitely teared up. I wish more of our athletes knew our national anthem - most only seem to know "....land of the free and the home of the brave."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

To the Point

Shouldn't really be surprised to read that the Russians think that the Ice Dancing standings weren't as they should have been, but it still surprised me! People need to get an infusion how to not be a sore loser. Sad thing is they didn't really lose, they just didn't win gold.

Get to know us. I just had to share this with everyone.

YouTube - Tom Brokaw Explains Canada To Americans

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3836516;
    I must say, I was completely unimpressed with the Russians this year. Their costumes were horrid, the routines were lackluster and their styling was out of the 80's. I just wanted to give that guy a haircut or a ponytail holder. My favorite ice dancing pair of all time is Usova and Zhulin, who were so exquisite on the ice (You know, until he had that affair and they switched partners and all that...). How far Russian ice dancing has fallen
    My fav fair of all time is Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko, also Russian. They were so passionate and inventive in their routines, I miss them!!

I was glad to see the Canadians win because they did a lovely job (and a little bit because I didn't want that smug Meryl Davis to get the gold, and yes I know that is not in the spirit of the Olympic games). I thought the Russian rope strategy was terrible and I really thought they should have been docked for it. No one else had the luxury of ropes to assist them! I was very sad that Tanith and Ben were out of the medals. The last few seasons they have ended up with routines that I don't think "clicked" with their audiences.

CCL

I haven't watched ice dancing since Bourne and Kraatz but I did see a bit last night. I wish they wouldn't play the top flight of skaters so late - I couldn't stay up that late so I missed seeing the Canadians clinch gold.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3836558;
    Shouldn't really be surprised to read that the Russians think that the Ice Dancing standings weren't as they should have been, but it still surprised me! People need to get an infusion how to not be a sore loser. Sad thing is they didn't really lose, they just didn't win gold.
    The ice dancing pair really think they should have been ranked higher, or do they think that Tanith and Ben should have been third?

Have you heard that Plushenko has now created a medal for himself? On his website he's now touting that he won the Platinum medal at the 2010 Olympic games. The guy is a creep.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3836610;
    Have you heard that Plushenko has now created a medal for himself? On his website he's now touting that he won the Platinum medal at the 2010 Olympic games. The guy is a creep.

Unbelievable. Will the Russians ever learn to lose gracefully? So many other nation seems to be able to manage that.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3836610;
    He is ridiculous!

And while I was reading a bit about this Plushenko nonsense I ran across an article disputing the piece of gossip I posted a few days ago about Evan Lysachek dating Nastia Liukin. Apparently she has been making references to them dating exclusively while he is simply telling the press he's "single". Contradictory? Maybe, maybe not. Could be the press trying to make gossip just cuz they want a juicy story...?
    Nastia Liukin, Evan Lysacek's Girlfriend? Maybe Not! Skater Says He's Single (PHOTO, VIDEO)

I was so pleased to see the Canadian couple win the ice dancing gold last night.
    I thought the Russian pair was lucky to come in third.
    I admit I'm no expert on ice skating and really haven't watched much ice dancing since Torville and Dean's heyday, but I found the Russian couple's performance to be very clunky.
    They seemed slow around the ice and I didn't enjoy the moves they did with the belts.

I was happy that Sportsnet in Canada showed all the free dances so I could see the British brother and sister pair John and Sinead Kerr.
    I really enjoyed their program to Krwling.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3836571;
    Get to know us. I just had to share this with everyone.

YouTube - Tom Brokaw Explains Canada To Americans
    This was a great piece! They even gave a shout out to my hometown - Windsor, Ontario! Thanks for the link.

+ Reply to Thread