+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 112 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Thanks for the clarification Critical and ClosetRTWatcher!

So much to watch, so little time. Its hard to believe we are into the 2nd week already!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3835324;
    Having followed the entire competitive season of figure skating, I feel like the scores that Johnny gets are a statement. He is very flamboyant and effeminate on and off the ice. A lot of those involved in figure skating are sensitive about gay stereotypes and often try really hard to prove that make figure skaters are masculine, straight men. I think they score Johnny unfairly low because they don't want to encourage other male skaters to skate the way he does.

I've been watching skating for many years and I'm not sure that I'd agree with this.
    I happen to really enjoy his skating, as I know many of us do.
    However, I think what he did in the competition was not much of a challenge. It was lovely to watch, but it dd not incorporate the more difficult, challenging steps that the judges look for at the Olympics.
    Actually, his technical scores were fourth. He finally delivered technically. A lot of people say that Johnny Weir's stuff isn't hard enough but it really didn't affect his free skate at these Olympics. Except for his scores for his transitions and linking footwork, he was a medal contender. It was his artistry points that were low.

Ice dancing is not all I remembered it to be. I haven't seen it since the last Olympics. These routines are so cheesy. The aboriginal dance was offensive and that was toned down? I'm glad they got rid of the brown face. But was the hair pulling really necessary? Whoever came up with that was a dummy! I hope both USA teams get into the medals. I like Belbin and Agosto best but that Indian dance was so much fun!

I don't watch hockey and I am glad that my first full hockey game was Canada vs. the USA! It was exciting. I don't think I will be watching much more hockey. I don't want a heart attack!

Finally, yay Bode! That guy is on fire. Good for him!

Fun article on the front page of today's NY Times talking about the "Kiss and Cry" area in figure skating. After Skating, a Unique Olympic Event - Crying - NYTimes.com

Here's part:
    ďItís such a big part of our coverage now. Itís gone from a blue curtain and a bucket of flowers on the side to plastic ice sculptures and crazy sets. Itís become a big design element that everyone works hard to figure out.Ē

When the Olympics were first televised worldwide in the 1960s, the set was much simpler, with no formal place for skaters to wait for their scores. A reporter and a camera operator would often catch them as they stepped off the ice.

At the 1980 Winter Games in Lake Placid, N.Y., the off-ice area was spruced up with foliage, producers said. By the 1984 Sarajevo Games, a formal area with a bench appeared. The 1988 Calgary Games unveiled a major set, with a designed backdrop and lights....

The opportunity to turn figure skating into theater was there for the taking, Wilson said. ďThe value of the kiss-and-cry is basic: find out what the marks are,Ē he said. ďBut the real value is that you see these people with their guards down. Itís a very special time. Most people donít think about it, but if you add up the total amount of airtime that the kiss-and-cry gets relative to the skating, itís a large percentage.Ē...

Some national skating federations put their skaters through training for the kiss-and-cry. Mark Ladwig, who skates with Amanda Evora in pairs, said he had attended a U.S. Figure Skating training program in which skaters participated in a mock kiss-and-cry.
    And on a personal note, may I say I despise listening to Sandra Bezic in the individual skating coverage. She's such a "Nellie Negative". Love Scott Hamilton, and he has the judgment to keep quiet during the actual performances. Bezic sounds to me as if she's auditioning to be an announcer on one of those NPR "classic classical music" shows...
    Last edited by BritLit; 02-22-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I know they've "toned down" their costumes since Europeans, but that aboriginal routine from the Russians last night was so offensive. Did they do ANY research on Australian aboriginal culture? Charlie and Meryl took Indian dance classes and got help to make sure their costumes were authentic. I'm not aboriginal, but if these were the toned down costumes, I can only assume that the earlier costumes were the equivalent of black-faced mammies. The choreography and the facial expressions were horrid too. What was with all the leaves tucked in everywhere? If they do one more routine like that, they're going to knock themselves right off the podium.

On the other hand, I enjoyed both top American teams as well as Tessa and Scott, although Tessa looks so much like Katy Perry that it's amost distracting!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3836039;
    I'm not aboriginal, but if these were the toned down costumes, I can only assume that the earlier costumes were the equivalent of black-faced mammies.
    You can see a photo of the original costumes here:
    washingtonpost.com
    Shabalin's was much darker than the one he wore for the Olympics and they both had much more extensive body painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3836039;
    I know they've "toned down" their costumes since Europeans, but that aboriginal routine from the Russians last night was so offensive. Did they do ANY research on Australian aboriginal culture? Charlie and Meryl took Indian dance classes and got help to make sure their costumes were authentic. I'm not aboriginal, but if these were the toned down costumes, I can only assume that the earlier costumes were the equivalent of black-faced mammies. The choreography and the facial expressions were horrid too. What was with all the leaves tucked in everywhere? If they do one more routine like that, they're going to knock themselves right off the podium.

On the other hand, I enjoyed both top American teams as well as Tessa and Scott, although Tessa looks so much like Katy Perry that it's almost distracting!
    He had slightly darker hose and that was toned to the same nude tone as her costume. They did not wear any face paint and they removed the more prominent symbols off the back of their costumes. Also, they said, that they were not necessarily patterning their costumes after Australian aboriginals, but that their costumes were patterned after a variety of aboriginal peoples.

I do like it when ice dancing couple go outside of the box but in this case I do not find the routine very entertaining.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I have an announcer gripe too. Vic Rauter (sp?). CTV/TSN up here in Canuckland. Women's curling. Canada vs. Denmark. Couple of days ago. Denmark calls a timeout. Their coach is from Alberta, so they are all speaking English. All of them have microphones. So instead of allowing the viewing audience to listen in on what they are strategizing, "Intelligent Vic" decides it's an opportune time to blabber (and overvoice the Danes) about what has transpired throughout the game and give us a recap of what we've already seen. Smart move, Vic. Someone must have said something to him, because today during a Sweden timeout today, he kept quiet. Thing was, though, Sweden's coach is, um, Swedish. Couldn't understand a word. The guy should know better how to call these games. He's been doing it for years .

When Meryl Davis and Charlie White came out on the ice in their costumes tonight, even though we'd been told otherwise, I fully expected to hear "Something There" from Beauty and the Beast. They looked perfect for it.

What a beautiful job they did with the Phantom music. It was just spellbinding.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I really liked Davis and what's his face tonight. They were my favorite. I can deal with them losing to Canada though. The Canadians were beautiful to watch just not as spectacular to watch. Great job from both pairs! As for those Russians... lol! They had the racist costumes and the ropes to assist the lifts. I was very hard to root for them. That is the nice way of putting it.

+ Reply to Thread