+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 112 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Mariner, sounds like you had a blast! I loved living in Vancouver, still miss it.
    PS, the pubs are packed like that for the Canucks games too, if I remember correctly. We do love our hockey.

Ugghhh....is all I can say. It was a great hockey game. Ryan Miller is o/standing as usual, he's a great goalie. East Lansing and the Sabres must be very proud of him.

I have every faith in the coaching staff Mike Babcock and company for Team Canada. Here's a quote from the Olympics 2002 when Team Canada, men's and women won the gold.

Canada had a lackluster start, losing 5–2 to Sweden, only managing to defeat Germany by a score of 3–2, and drawing with the Czech Republic

During the final, the legend of the lucky loonie was born when Canadian icemaker Trent Evans buried a one dollar coin (Loonie) under centre ice and both the Canadian men's and women's teams won gold
    I wonder if someone smuggled in a loonie, I hope they didn't forget!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3835034;
    Well, wow. We drove up to Vancouver this morning and breezed across the border. We were parked by 10 am. It was an incredibly gorgeous day. We walked around and soaked in the atmosphere then we followed the crowd walking to the Russia/Czech hockey game and did some people watching while soaking in the sun. There were way more people looking to buy tickets than sell them. It was so much fun seeing all the different countries' fans and representatives. Right before game time, we walked over to Gas Town and found a bar to watch the game and the skiing. I can't tell you how much I appreciated getting to watch the ski race in real time. Seeing Bode win was a thrill. So was getting to see basically every skiier while being able to follow the hockey game too.

Then we made a mistake and got up to walk around some more (Btw, the different countries have these really fun houses that are open to everyone, except the US House which is extremely limited. The Irish House looked like a blast but the line to get in was wound half way around a city block).

By the time we decided to try to find a place to watch the US/Canada game, even though it was two hours before game time, we couldn't find a spot at the first 15 bars we visited. Every single one was completely packed with fans. We finally ended up at a rooftop sports bar that we spotted by accident several blocks from where the game was. It's located on the top of a nice seafood and chop house. It had room to stand when we got there. It couldn't have been more crowded by five minutes into the game. I'm pretty sure any fire marshal who walked in would have shut it down. We some how got seats by the start of the second period sitting next to the only other three US fans in the place. It was a sea of Canadians in various Canada gear. It was also one of the most fun times I've had watching a game. There were lots of chants of "Go, Canada, Go!" There was also a lot of good natured ribbing. But, it was a great game and everyone was very gracious as well as being totally into the game. I've been to some great sporting events in person, but I think this is going to be one of my favorite sports memories ever.
    Mariner, what a fantastic time you must have had!! You brought alot of excitment to the board, just reading that! I'm glad to hear there was alot of good natured ribbing, that's what makes a sport more enjoyable in the end, regardless of who wins.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3835109;
    I think the tiara needs to be put back where it originated. It may be a fun inside joke for her and her coach, but it sends the wrong message out to the general public. Blah.

And I am sooooooooo not on the Lindsay Vonn train. For some reason I just get this air of insincerity from everything that she says. Her boohooing after her gold medal, while appropriate, just seemed false and forced for public viewing. I want to like her... I just don't.

I thought that too about the Lindey's tears after her gold medal run! It just didn't seem sincere at all. Hey, if you're not a crier, don't try and fake it.

As to Julia's tiara, I love it! She clearly marches to the beat of a different drum, and is completely comfortable with that.

I think different people just strike us in different ways even though we're all supposed to love whomever is winning American medals. And I think it's ok to be bothered by certain things about some athletes in spite of the societal pressure to totally embrace them.

I'm actually starting to have a little Olympic fatigue -- like I don't know if I can make it through almost another whole week. Maybe I peaked too soon. Probably tomorrow I'll be all into it again, though, and sad and wistful that it's ending so soon.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3835194;

I wonder if someone smuggled in a loonie, I hope they didn't forget!!!!
    They put one under the snowboard cross track - where we (Canada) won gold (women) and silver (men). It was the same track (somewhat modified) for the men's ski cross but we came up short there medal-wise (is there a women's ski cross? If so I don't think they've had it yet).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3835241;
    They put one under the snowboard cross track - where we (Canada) won gold (women) and silver (men). It was the same track (somewhat modified) for the men's ski cross but we came up short there medal-wise (is there a women's ski cross? If so I don't think they've had it yet).
    Really? I didn't know that. The men's ski cross was so exciting, I watched that yesterday. Maybe they needed a toonie there instead of a loonie. Come to think of it, I'm a little confused on the proper name of that sport. What is it under in the Vancouver2010 website?

I'll have to check for womens ski cross, I'm not sure either. Oh wait, is that the sport the ladies wanted to sue the Olympic's for not having a female skiing? I sort of remember something about that, the Olympic committee says there isn't enough interest to make it an official sport? I could be wrong, I need to do some research on that.

Maybe I'm having symptoms of Olympic fatigue!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 02-22-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3835258;
    I'll have to check for womens ski cross, I'm not sure either. Oh wait, is that the sport the ladies wanted to sue the Olympic's for not having a female skiing? I sort of remember something about that, the Olympic committee says there isn't enough interest to make it an official sport? I could be wrong, I need to do some research on that.
    The ladies ski cross starts tomorrow Maybe you're thinking of ski jumping? There are no women's events in that sport.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3835258;
    Critical is correct that it is Nordic ski jumping that does not have an event for the women. They argue that there are not enough competitors. There were links earlier in this thread to some articles on the topic.

I am looking forward to the start of the aerial competition tonight!

Having followed the entire competitive season of figure skating, I feel like the scores that Johnny gets are a statement. He is very flamboyant and effeminate on and off the ice. A lot of those involved in figure skating are sensitive about gay stereotypes and often try really hard to prove that make figure skaters are masculine, straight men. I think they score Johnny unfairly low because they don't want to encourage other male skaters to skate the way he does.

I've been watching skating for many years and I'm not sure that I'd agree with this.
    I happen to really enjoy his skating, as I know many of us do.
    However, I think what he did in the competition was not much of a challenge. It was lovely to watch, but it dd not incorporate the more difficult, challenging steps that the judges look for at the Olympics.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread