+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 112 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3834528;
    Moving on ... I really wanted the gold for Shani. I think he was totally capable of doing it, but I could tell that was a tough race for him. He was really hurting at the end. I guess he just wasn't physically prepared for the race. BUT since he didn't win gold, maybe he will come back in four years. I hope so! He is a great talent.
    He did say he really wants to win that race, calls it the "Kings Race." He stated he's already eyeing Sochi. That was a really fast time that Dutch skater put up, and I don't know where he got the extra gas to power through that finish. Every guy that skated race was just grinded down in pain with the effort. The commentators were remarking how slow the ice was, and they were suprised that fast of a time was posted.

I think it's one of those meant to be things, you know?

FORT Fogey

Having followed the entire competitive season of figure skating, I feel like the scores that Johnny gets are a statement. He is very flamboyant and effeminate on and off the ice. A lot of those involved in figure skating are sensitive about gay stereotypes and often try really hard to prove that make figure skaters are masculine, straight men. I think they score Johnny unfairly low because they don't want to encourage other male skaters to skate the way he does.
    a very valid point

Yay, Team USA hockey!!!! My Spartans rock.... 42 saves at goal. Man, Ryan Miller was getting pounded! One of the best hockey games I think I've quite possibly ever seen. Loved it! (Sorry, AJane and all!)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

No worries . It was a great game and Miller was outstanding.

I got a big kick out of the French pair with the cowboy/girl theme. They were fun! And I wasn't aware that the pair was allowed to be out of contact for so long- I had to look it up, because I'm pretty sure it used to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3834552;
    I must go get my ulcer medication for the hockey game tonight!!
    Ugh. Pass the pepto bismol. It's a sombre night in the sweetpea household. Thanks, team Canada. It's my 45th birthday tomorrow...couldn't you give me a little present??? :nono

Re. the Aboriginal performance by the Russian ice dance pair Domina and Shabalin.... Oh.My.
    This was my first time seeing this performance and I did not find it enjoyable at all. She had a manic smile on her face the entire time and most of the movement seemed frantic. I also didn't appreciate him grabbing her ponytail multiple times - it felt like the old cliche of the caveman knocking the woman over the head and dragging her back to the cave. Weird.

ETA - Just watched Virtue and Moir. They did an outstanding job! Crossing my fingers now for Belbin and Agosto...

ETA again - BAH! My fav skaters just can't get a break in this Olympics...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-21-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3834857;
    a very valid point
    One of the US announcers did mention that with Johnny's new Russian coach he much better disciplined, trains regularly and respects the sport instead of mocking it, but this change obviously did not happened quickly enough to change his reputation with a lot of the judges. I do think it is a shame that the judges so homophobic that they cannot judge a performance on its merits but let the persons personality bias them. Regardless I do think Johnny will have a great career with any ice show that signs him up.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Frankly, I sincerely doubt Johnny Weir is a victim of homophobia in a sport such as ice skating. If he was trying to compete in NASCAR, maybe, but not ice skating. He, himself, said he didn't expect a medal because the politics of ice skating are such that the judges would strongly prefer not to have two people from the same country on the same podium and he knew that slot would go to Evan. I don't know enough about ice skating to know if that fits, but it's much more logical than homophobia considering ice skating is a sport where butching it up is hardly going to get anyone much of anywhere. He also seems like the kind of guy to say what he truly believes and if he thought he was a victim of homophobia, that he would come right out and say so.

"When you have an Olympic Games every four years, it's important that the whole world is represented on that podium. When Evan ... did skate so well and was basically assured a medal before I even went on the ice, everybody kind of knew that no matter how well I skated I wasn't going to be pushed onto the podium."
    Johnny Weir blames judging for low finish
    Last edited by chrisg; 02-21-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3834757;
    Bode!

It's so great to see Bode getting out of his own way!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

+ Reply to Thread