+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 112 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

  1. #421
    Lux et Veritas chrisg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3834278;
    Awww, heartbreak in the men's short track final tonight. The Canadian brothers finish 4th and 5th. Congrats to Apolo Ono though, on his bronze. I have always liked him.
    I hoped at least one of the brothers would medal along with Apolo. I feel like I've seen Apolo Ohno somewhere non-Olympics related, but I just can't put my finger on it. Very cool to see Michael Phelps there watching!

    Best of luck to Canada and the US in the hockey game tonight.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

  2. #422
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Oh no, tragic news for Joannie Rochette, the Canadian figure skater seen as having a shot at the gold medal:

    Mother of Canadian figure skating champion Joannie Rochette dies in Vancouver

    VANCOUVER - Those close to Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette say she is determined to finish her Olympic mission despite the sudden death of her mother Therese.

    "Fairly shortly after she was informed she decided she would carry on," said William Thompson, Skate Canada's CEO. "We will support whatever decision she makes. Honestly, I think she'll skate. She seemed very determined to compete."
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  3. #423
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Oh how sad, I can't imagine dealing with that anytime, let alone during a moment in your life that you have worked so hard for to acheive. Geesh, prayers for Joannie her family and friends, hoping they find the strength amongst themselves and her fans to get through this.

  4. #424
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3834531;
    I hoped at least one of the brothers would medal along with Apolo. I feel like I've seen Apolo Ohno somewhere non-Olympics related, but I just can't put my finger on it. Very cool to see Michael Phelps there watching!

    Best of luck to Canada and the US in the hockey game tonight.
    I had hoped so as well. Everyone works so hard for years to get to that point, and its over in seconds. They had a clean skate, with the exception of Apolo slipping, those Koreans are strong, and have proven themselves that's for sure. I wasn't holding out hope for a medal for either one of them, since I was pretty sure the Koreans were going to be 1 -2.

    The Koreans have it out for Apolo, since Sault Lake City.

    Remember the two Koreans that slipped and took themselves both out when Apolo won silver in the 1500m, otherwise that would have been a sweep for the Koreans. They weren't going to let this one get away with Apolo in the mix.

    On another note, am I the only one that is so bothered by silver and bronze medal winners who look like they just lost their best friend?

    I must go get my ulcer medication for the hockey game tonight!!

  5. #425
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3833872;
    I love those red mittens. My mom gave everyone a pair at Christmas, so the whole family is kitted out. Jon Montgomery won gold in Men's skeleton, and what a great guy. I was laughing when a woman at Whistler village handed him a pitcher of beer as he was walking through the streets, and the cops escorting him just kind of laughed it off. I hope we have a great day today, and lots of great performances by all the athletes
    Those mittens are very cool. Hopefully there will be some fun knockoffs coming out of this.. love the pic in the palm look.

    Now if someone can find me the flag beanie with earflaps that Julia Mancuso wears I'd be eternally grateful! It's too cute.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  6. #426
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3834610;
    Those mittens are very cool. Hopefully there will be some fun knockoffs coming out of this.. love the pic in the palm look.

    Now if someone can find me the flag beanie with earflaps that Julia Mancuso wears I'd be eternally grateful! It's too cute.
    Those mittens are a great idea I wonder why no one had thought of it before. It's a great memento and practical and unlike a lot of sport type clothing it they are unobtrusive. I also wonder how long before other countries make their own versions?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #427
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3834528;
    Having followed the entire competitive season of figure skating, I feel like the scores that Johnny gets are a statement. He is very flamboyant and effeminate on and off the ice. A lot of those involved in figure skating are sensitive about gay stereotypes and often try really hard to prove that make figure skaters are masculine, straight men. I think they score Johnny unfairly low because they don't want to encourage other male skaters to skate the way he does.
    It doesn't help when people like the Canadian commentators have to have their hands slapped for making over-the-top comments about Johnny...
    Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports


    I am looking forward to the ice dancing, but I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about it at the moment. I watched the US Nationals and I liked the choreography of the programs skated by Davis & White more than Belbin & Agosto. It pains me to say that because I highly prefer Belbin & Agosto and would really like to see them win, so I'm hoping they pull out all the stops the next two nights!! Altho Charlie Davis seems nice enough, something about Meryl Davis always rubs me the wrong way. Like on Friday when the Canadian team jumped ahead of them for the second place spot, she was rolling her eyes about it while talking to her partner. Oh well - for better or for worse, I will be watching!

  8. #428
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3834705;
    It doesn't help when people like the Canadian commentators have to have their hands slapped for making over-the-top comments about Johnny...
    Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports


    I am looking forward to the ice dancing, but I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about it at the moment. I watched the US Nationals and I liked the choreography of the programs skated by Davis & White more than Belbin & Agosto. It pains me to say that because I highly prefer Belbin & Agosto and would really like to see them win, so I'm hoping they pull out all the stops the next two nights!! Altho Charlie Davis seems nice enough, something about Meryl Davis always rubs me the wrong way. Like on Friday when the Canadian team jumped ahead of them for the second place spot, she was rolling her eyes about it while talking to her partner. Oh well - for better or for worse, I will be watching!
    Perhaps her high pitched squeal of a voice? Those high frequencies are probably piercing your eardrums and giving you a headache.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #429
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,140

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Bode!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  10. #430
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: The Olympic Games

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3834705;
    It doesn't help when people like the Canadian commentators have to have their hands slapped for making over-the-top comments about Johnny...
    Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports


    I am looking forward to the ice dancing, but I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about it at the moment. I watched the US Nationals and I liked the choreography of the programs skated by Davis & White more than Belbin & Agosto. It pains me to say that because I highly prefer Belbin & Agosto and would really like to see them win, so I'm hoping they pull out all the stops the next two nights!! Altho Charlie Davis seems nice enough, something about Meryl Davis always rubs me the wrong way. Like on Friday when the Canadian team jumped ahead of them for the second place spot, she was rolling her eyes about it while talking to her partner. Oh well - for better or for worse, I will be watching!
    If she's the one I'm picturing, I couldn't agree more. She looks like a piece of work, to put it diplomatically.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.