+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

What is the update on snowboarder Kevin Pearce. Hope he recovers and can return to his sport. Maybe not for the Olympics but in the future.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3791699;
    The Olympic Rings are lit up in Vancouver Harbour now:

That is so cool!
    The airlines that I work for is adding more YVR flights during this time. We have one plane that has Apolo Ohno on the side of it. He even came and "autographed" it.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3791699;
    The Olympic Rings are lit up in Vancouver Harbour now:

Very cool pic - thanks for posting!

Well this is an interesting development. Apparently Sasha Cohen has decided to re-enter the field and will compete at the US Nationals this weekend to vie for a spot at the Olympics...

Cohen brings drama to lackluster women's field - Yahoo! Sports

REMINDER: The US Nationals for figure skating are this weekend - YAY!! I'm going to go home and set my DVR tonight!!! (The tv schedule is posted back a page in this thread)

ETA - Clearly I need to pay closer attention to my own posts because I missed the Mens and Pairs competitions that were scheduled to air LAST weekend! Fortunately the Ladies and Dance competitions are my favs and both of those do air THIS weekend, along with some exhibition stuff on Sunday.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.

I was very disappointed to see that Sasha did not make it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3807126;
    I was even more disappointed to see that Rachel Flatt did make it. I was really hoping that Mirai Nagasu would get the win. In spite of the rave reviews she gets from the commentators, there is something about RF's skating style that I just don't care for. I think she and her coach/choreographer are very good at using the new points system to her advantage. But MN's skating is sooo much prettier IMO. This new points system stinks when it comes to giving skaters credit for artistry!!

I was also sad to see Ashley Wagner kind of fall apart during the long program. I was really hoping she would pull off the great performance she is capable of. I had mixed feelings about Sasha Cohen. I would have liked to see her do really well, but I guess I wasn't surprised that she didn't end up on top given that this was her first competition since coming out of retirement. It seems like she should have jumped back into the fray earlier in the season.

The nominees for the Olympics are:
    Ladies
    Rachael Flatt
    Mirai Nagasu

Ice Dancing
    Meryl Davis & Charlie White
    Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
    Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates

Men
    Jeremy Abbott
    Evan Lysacek
    Johnny Weir

Pairs
    Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett
    Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3807126;
    come on now. she was lucky yo be in top 5 after that performance. Sasha cohen rhymes with shocking

6 more days! Is anyone else excited?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm very excited!!!!! I'm looking at the schedule for the opening ceremonies, which starts at 6pm, but they are having coverage starting at 6am, The Torch Relay, The Journey Home! This is the very rare time in my life I'm hoping for a snow day.

Its nice that the Games, for me, are in the same continent and not half way around the world!

ETA: Monday Night 9pm,E, Special, Vancouver Welcomes the World!!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Thrilled! But I'm already let down that in just a few weeks it's going to be over I'm most looking forward to the snowboarding/snow skiing events. Ice skating doesn't get me very interested this year, because no one I care about is in it. I'll probably watch the ice dance, though. And though it's not my favorite event, I always like watching the bobsledding.

Speaking of ice skating Johnny Weir has his own reality show. I've seen clips of it on The Soup and I have to say he looks fairly entertaining. And since I'm still on that subject, whatever happened to Tara Lipinski? After Nancy Kerrigan's tragic family incident in the last couple of weeks, I was reading something about figure skatings biggest scandals and upsets, and it mentioned when Tara beat Michelle in 1998. I remember she was kind of everywhere for a few years and then nothing.

+ Reply to Thread