+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 112 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I thought Johnny was the best skater of the night. I realize he didn't throw in the quad, but I still thought he was underscored. Not that he should have won, but I thought he should have placed significantly higher. Plushenko is definitely arrogant, but the more I see of Lysacheck, the more I get an arrogant vibe from him also. I guess I'm just generally dissatisfied with the men's results.

On the other hand, Shaun White did an excellent job on the half pipe yesterday!! Did you see the segment where they showed the private half pipe in the Colorado mountains where he gets flown in by helicopter and has a gigantic foam pit placed at the end to try out new stunts!?!? That guy has crazy loot!!!! And the story he told about his mom taking his gold medal from Torino to the dry cleaner had me !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3832943;
    I thought Johnny was the best skater of the night. I realize he didn't throw in the quad, but I still thought he was underscored. Not that he should have won, but I thought he should have placed significantly higher. Plushenko is definitely arrogant, but the more I see of Lysacheck, the more I get an arrogant vibe from him also. I guess I'm just generally dissatisfied with the men's results.
    I think Johnny's problem is that his degree of difficulty isn't as high as the other top skaters. Even if he skates cleanly, he's not going to get the scores the top 3 got. It's weird, because his coach is a well-known task master and has coached gold medalists before. You'd think she'd be amping up his DOD.

The thing I like about Lysacek is that he's such a hard worker. He just never quits. Even his coach has said that sometimes he has to tell Evan to stop practicing. Plushenko went into this almost assuming he would win. For me it's confidence vs. arrogance.

Can't wait for ice dancing tomorrow! Then I don't have to watch through my fingers hoping no one falls!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I know next to nothing about ice skating but I think Evan Lysacek really, really deserved that gold medal. I don't think I've ever seen him before and I was shocked that he's such a big guy. He has the build of a hockey player not an ice skater, it seems. And that Plushenko does seem way too full of himself.

I root for Americans. I think that's what the Olympics are all about -- good natured athletic competition rather than, say, war.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832937;
    All I remember from 2002 is how bummed I was that Michelle Kwan didn't win and I wondered who the heck Sarah Hughes was.

I can't believe Frank Carroll has never had a gold medalist - he's coached so many great American skaters. I'm sure he's thrilled too!

If you look at the scores, Lysacek won on his Grade of Execution scores. Many of Plushenko's were much lower than Evan's, even for a lot of his jumps. I like that the new scoring system takes into account the quality of the elements more than the old system seemed to.

I think it was Joubert who was complaining the other day about how so few men were doing the quad and he thought it hurt the sport. Frankly, I don't care about the quad. I'd rather see great all-around skating. Of course, jumps are important, but they shouldn't be everything. I think Plushenko thought they were because he obviously hasn't worked on the rest of his skating and thought big jumps were going to win him the gold. I'm so happy he was wrong!

ETA: So cool that both Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano are there to congratulate Evan!
    Yeah, the comparison wasn't perfect as Lysacek has been around longer and he's been more consistent, but I got the same sense watching her as I did him tonight. It probably didn't hurt that they were both early in the final group, too.

I'm with you on the all-around skating part. I think the scoring system works better for the men than for the women, because lately when I've watched, it seems like many of the women can't get through their routines without stumbling/wobbling and/or falling because they've padded their routines with challenging, high-point elements, although maybe I should withhold judgment until next week.

I don't care about quads either-- I wouldn't know a salchow from a toe loop on tv if Scott Hamilton wasn't telling me, nor can I see a huge difference between three rotations and four. I know the differences in jump have to do with position at takeoff and part of the blade used, but I sure can't see it!

And chrisg, not only is Lysacek tall, but skating right after him, Oda looked tiny!
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 02-19-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3832952;
    I know next to nothing about ice skating but I think Evan Lysacek really, really deserved that gold medal. I don't think I've ever seen him before and I was shocked that he's such a big guy. He has the build of a hockey player not an ice skater, it seems. And that Plushenko does seem way too full of himself.

I root for Americans. I think that's what the Olympics are all about -- good natured athletic competition rather than, say, war.
    I guess I didn't realize Lysacek was 6'2" - I figured he was maybe 5'10". Usually, the pairs guys are a bit bigger because they have to fling those girls around, but the singles skaters are usually shorter. I guess it's a credit to him that he's able to look graceful and has command over his limbs! I remember a skater from, Israel (maybe) a few Olympics ago, who was over 6' and looked like a giraffe on the ice. Plushenko is only 5'9" and he's always seemed much taller than that to me

Not to get gosspy, but is Evan still dating Tanith Belbin or has he moved on to Lastia Liukin? Either way, how awkward that she's rooming with Johnny for the Olympics!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3832943;

On the other hand, Shaun White did an excellent job on the half pipe yesterday!! Did you see the segment where they showed the private half pipe in the Colorado mountains where he gets flown in by helicopter and has a gigantic foam pit placed at the end to try out new stunts!?!? That guy has crazy loot!!!! And the story he told about his mom taking his gold medal from Torino to the dry cleaner had me !!!
    I saw that yesterday. No wonder he can do what he can. I don't know if any other boarder has the means or ability to practice on their own half pipe or if Shaun lets anyone come by and practice, but what an advantage, and definitely lets him know what'll work, what won't, and how hard he can push himself. Of course even the best can take a fall when they least expect it. I wonder if Shaun will be back for 2014. And I loved that story about the dry cleaners and his medal, especially when his mom said she was upset it cost her $10

The announcers said Johnny probably didn't get the degree of difficulty or technicality as Lysacek, or eventually Plushenko, but I still loved his performance better than anyone's. He seems like such a loose cannon off the ice (as they mentioned his sound bites to the media) but on the ice, he looks totally focused and into it. I loved when he was sitting there, waiting for his scores, and had all those gifts from the fans, including the rose wreath on his head

All I remember from 2002 is how bummed I was that Michelle Kwan didn't win and I wondered who the heck Sarah Hughes was.
    Is Michelle Kwan now officially retired? She wasn't a personal favorite of mine, but I had always hoped to see her snag gold. She was too good not to. I can't even remember Sarah Hughes.

Fort Member

Yaa Torah Bright

^Yeah, Michelle's done. She hasn't officially retired, but I don't believe she has competed in anything lately. She's focusing on graduate school. It still pains me that she didn't win that gold, cause I agree, she was way too good not to.

E-van! E-van! E-van! Woohoo, I was so happy for Evan Lysacek! I root for the Americans also; too hard not to for me. But I mainly wanted to see Plushenko get knocked down a peg or two. I loved his reaction (would have loved to have seen his family's initial reaction also).

On a side note, right after he won, NBC's female commentator on figure skating (sorry, don't remember her name) stated that he has the same choreographer as Shen/Zhao... and then right after her comment Shen/Zhao appeared on the screen. I thought that was hilarious.

I don't know if I could get this same thrill with the women's figure skating competition. I haven't really heard about USA having a contender--unless we get another Sarah Hughes-like girl who comes out of nowhere. Loved Sarah! I'll just have to find someone to root for out of the frontrunners.

I was rooting for Gretchen Bleiler in the women's halfpipe, but the result was still pretty awesome! She still has Sochi coming up, if she decides to participate.

And I was a little disappointed that Lindsey Vonn fell during the shalom, but at least that allowed Anja Paerson to get a medal. I think it makes a great story, how she suffered a huge crash in the downhill then came up to win bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3832837;
    "No medal is more important than the gold in hockey for Canada? Bob Costas."

This is why I can't stand NBC.

Any medal, gold silver or bronze is the most important medal for the athelete and the country they represent IMO.
    I agree that any medal is a feat. Just being at the Olympics and getting the chance to call yourself an Olympian is a feat. It's always nice to watch unknown athletes from other countries participate just for the experience.

But it's also nice to get a thrill from watching these events. I love viewing the competition of the Olympics. And honestly, if there was no gold, there would be no Olympics. What would be the point for these top athletes? We all know that those athletes and teams who have a shot at winning that gold most likely want to win it and will go for it. And I don't think it's such a bad thing to aim for that goal.

Not winning the gold is not a failure though. A disappointment, yeah, but not a failure. That's the only thing that I would argue against.

BTW, I want those mittens. They're sold out though!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832807;
    Okay, does that Visa commercial with Dan Jansen make anyone else cry....every time?

Thanks for the article link. Mar. That was a terrific interview!
    I love the Visa commercials, especially Dan Jansen's. It's such a touching story.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 02-19-2010 at 04:54 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Johnny Weir was robbed! His scores just don't add up to me. His technical scores were higher than the three men who placed directly ahead of him for the free skate but his performance and interpretation scores were really low. Those are the things he was best at last night. He was so beautiful on the ice. His execution scores were lower than some of the guys that fell. Maybe I just don't understand the caption definitions. I really think his reputation for being flamboyant, daring, and feminine hurt him. Both nights, there was criticism that he was underscored. It doesn't help that "the man" has been against him for being "too gay." I am happy for Evan. He works harder than any other skater. He has to with his height. I didn't love him on the ice and I think I have seen him perform better. But I am still proud for his achievement and glad that Plushenko was taught a lesson. I just think it is sad that those tricks got Plushenko so far and Evan's superior skating was just barely enough. Sad that Johnny's artistry was not rewarded too!

Team USA is off to a great start! Team Canada is doing amazingly well too! Germany must be stopped! lol!

And, this is why I couldn't be more happy about tonight's results:

"If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump a quad, I don't know," Plushenko said. "Now it's not men's figure skating, now it's dancing."

But Lysacek makes no apologies for what he does -- and doesn't -- do.

He's done the quad before, but it puts a lot of stress on the left foot that he broke last year. He originally planned to do the quad here, but after feeling pain in the foot again after last month's U.S. championships, he decided it wasn't worth the risk of getting hurt and having to miss the games.

"If it was a jumping competition, they'd give you 10 seconds to go do your best jump. But it's about 4 minutes and 40 seconds of skating and performing from start to finish," Lysacek said. "That was my challenge tonight, and I feel like I did quite well."
    Evan Lysacek upsets Evgeni Plushenko to capture figure skating gold medal - ESPN

Punkshenko Plushenko needs to learn the definition of gracious loser. Or, at least, graceful loser. I'm not exactly graceful myself but the difference in the artistic quality of the two free skates was not in the eye of the beholder. It was glaringly obvious.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread