+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 112 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3832876;
    I really enjoyed the women's (and the men's last night) snowboarding half pipe. Such amazing graceful athleticism! And a big plus--they dont wear skin tight outfits!!
    They were fantastic, I really enjoyed that as well. I couldn't help but look at their pants.

Evan Lysacek USA is having a great skate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3832887;
    I would take any medal for any sport for any country. I don't watch just for my country, I watch for everyone. I'm happy for each and every medal winner and those who don't win.
    I normally feel like that too, but I really want Lysacek to win the gold....or more to the point, I want Plushenko to NOT win. If any former Russian gold medalist had to come out of retirement, why couldn't it have been Yagudin? I know he has a bad back, but still. Loved him.

Evan is in first place for now, but he left some room for Plushenko, who skates last. Fingers crossed for a fall! (I totally hate thinking that way, but I can't help it)
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I felt terrible for Oda with the broken skate lace-- he handled it like a pro but it must be so terribly disappointing to snap a lace in the Olympics.

And as I type this, Daisuke Takahashi just took a fall that looked unbelievably painful. Ouch.

Critical, I'm rooting for Lysacek to win, too. He left it all out there.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3832840;
    Congrats to Torah Bright for taking gold in the women's half pipe! And congrats to Kelly Clark for returning to the podieum after missing it in 2006. Women seemed to be all over the place in terms of hitting the deck and overlooking their runs. I think China could be a serious threat in this event in the future.
    I think Gretchen could have given Torah a run for her money if she hadn't hit the deck, which ended her run.. I can't imagine coming up smiling the way she did after that. Congrats to Hannah and Kelly for taking the silver and bronze.

OMG! Evan won! I can't believe it! SO happy for him!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832894;
    Evan is in first place for now, but he left some room for Plushenko, who skates last. Fingers crossed for a fall! (I totally hate thinking that way, but I can't help it)
    From one sport to another, in the super combination Anja Pärson's only chance was that one of the top three fell. So when Lindsay Vonn fell, the commentator's reaction was "YES!" I do feel bad for Lindsay Vonn, but that Anja Pärson got the bronze after her crasch yesterday was big. The media are treating it like she won. Also, Anja usually is a person to get disappointed by a bronze (right after the race anyway, she usually gets happier when it has sunk in), she wants the gold, but this time she was happy for her bronze, and just the ability to be on the starting line again, I suppose..

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832926;
    OMG! Evan won! I can't believe it! SO happy for him!
    His performance tonight reminded me a bit of Sarah Hughes in 2002-- it was so clearly the best on this night. He deserved it, and I'm happy for him and for Frank Carroll, too- first gold medalist for him!

Edit: Frank Carroll reminds me of a less red-cheeked Tom Coughlin.

Or maybe not less red-cheeked.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 02-19-2010 at 01:22 AM.

I'm happy for all my FORT friends that Lysacek won! but I have to say it was pretty cute when Plushenko dashed across the gold medal spot to get to his 2nd place spot...and with a bit of a cheeky grin on his face.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3832916;
    I think Gretchen could have given Torah a run for her money if she hadn't hit the deck, which ended her run.. I can't imagine coming up smiling the way she did after that. Congrats to Hannah and Kelly for taking the silver and bronze.
    I didn't really feel like Hannah gave it her all, but maybe she just wanted to medal and didn't want to do anything to ruin that. I guess I've just seen more from her in the past, but still an amazing run by the American women today, and she's definitely one of the best. I do think Gretchen could have probably bumped Kelly out of the top 3 spot had she not fallen. I would have been curious how that rider from Spain would have shaken things up, because she gave a pretty impressive qualifying run. But these ladies, and all these athletes, have more skill than me. I can't even ice skate and can barely ski

I felt terrible for Oda with the broken skate lace-- he handled it like a pro but it must be so terribly disappointing to snap a lace in the Olympics.

And as I type this, Daisuke Takahashi just took a fall that looked unbelievably painful. Ouch.

Critical, I'm rooting for Lysacek to win, too. He left it all out there.
    So did I. Talk about grace under pressure. I love hearing the announcers voice overs; this time they were worried about the blood rushing to his head as he was trying to fix his skate I feel for any athlete that takes a fall or finds themselves in that situation. I don't begin to understand scoring, but Johnny Weir was probably my favorite of the night. I wasn't as impressed as I was with the short program with some of the others, especially Plushenko (who I do happen to like, arrogance and all). Evan earned that medal. I feel like Plushenko was the only one to take it from him, and he didn't live up to the occasion. But still impressive.

I would take any medal for any sport for any country. I don't watch just for my country, I watch for everyone. I'm happy for each and every medal winner and those who don't win.
    I'm more familiar with the athletes of the US and Canada, so having more knowledge of them I tend to obviously want to root for them (and of course it's home turf/neighbor's to the north). But I've gotten behind some international athletes that I had only now just heard of, so I'll look forward to following them in the future. I think it's an accomplishment for all these athletes just to be able to be there and represent their countries. That's an honor in itself, and winning the medal is obviously the icing on the cake. I can be happy for any of them. I'm already down the games are almost done, but looking forward to 2012 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3832931;
    His performance tonight reminded me a bit of Sarah Hughes in 2002-- it was so clearly the best on this night. He deserved it, and I'm happy for him and for Frank Carroll, too- first gold medalist for him!
    All I remember from 2002 is how bummed I was that Michelle Kwan didn't win and I wondered who the heck Sarah Hughes was.

I can't believe Frank Carroll has never had a gold medalist - he's coached so many great American skaters. I'm sure he's thrilled too!

If you look at the scores, Lysacek won on his Grade of Execution scores. Many of Plushenko's were much lower than Evan's, even for a lot of his jumps. I like that the new scoring system takes into account the quality of the elements more than the old system seemed to.

I think it was Joubert who was complaining the other day about how so few men were doing the quad and he thought it hurt the sport. Frankly, I don't care about the quad. I'd rather see great all-around skating. Of course, jumps are important, but they shouldn't be everything. I think Plushenko thought they were because he obviously hasn't worked on the rest of his skating and thought big jumps were going to win him the gold. I'm so happy he was wrong!

ETA: So cool that both Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano are there to congratulate Evan!

+ Reply to Thread