+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 112 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

CCL

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3832401;
    Yes, he was totally amazing.
    Did they say why the US barely acknowledges him?
    I've heard about Apolo, Lindsay, Bode and Shaun.
    But, I've heard nothing on Shanni.
    I think NBC's coverage of the Olympics is on a par with all the puff pieces that AI uses to pimp their favored contestants.
    He (Shani Davis) has a reputation of being prickly. He doesn't usually train with his fellow US speed skaters and he even asked that the US Speedskating association take down his bio on their website (which they did). Regarding the last Olympic games, he did not request/plan to be put in the team event - the US team put his name forward without his knowledge; when he declared that he wouldn't compete in the team event (so that he could focus on the individual events) feathers got ruffled, especially with Hedrick.
    Very happy to see Anja Paerson come back from yesterday's wipeout to get a bronze in the combined today.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Has anyone checked out USA during the day? I think they're doing a block of coverage in the afternoons that shows different events than NBC is covering.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I'm watching hockey on USA right now, chris. They air events on CNBC and MSNBC too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Shani's win was amazing. The media sort of chooses who they like to pay attention to. I don't know why they don't like Shani. They don't like Johnny Weir either. And he is a medal contender. They just ignore him. If you don't fit the "darling" mold, then you are out!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3832467;
    Very happy to see Anja Paerson come back from yesterday's wipeout to get a bronze in the combined today.
    I was so pleased to see her medal today.
    I can't remember which channel I watched her race on yesterday, but one commentator seemed more concerned with how much air she gained before her crash than whether she was alright after it.

Another gold for Canada in the 1000m women's long track speed skating courtesy of Christine Nesbitt
    "That's Numberwang!"

Fort Member

Yaa we just won a gold
    Well, she was representing Canada but Christine Nesbitt was born in Australia and spent the first six weeks of her life here, so as we tend to claim any sports person who has spent more than five minutes here as our own depsite what country they maybe representing, we just won a gold
    hahaha
    Just like the silver medal we have won, he was born in Canada but has lived in Australia since he was 15 for 6mths every year. So for that reason he is a dinky die Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832460;
    I've been watching hockey and curling and whatever else they're showing on the other NBC networks during the day, but it's not much.

I remember, years ago, watching ALL of the ladies figure skating short program during the day on one of the cable networks. We're talking every single skater and some of them you really didn't want to see. Then they showed the highlights on NBC that night. I wish they'd do that - seeing all of the competitors makes you appreciate the ones in the top 20 - it shows you how difficult the sport really is.
    NBC is showing hockey and curling on USA and MSNBC and also has video replays on its nbcolympic website. The videos cover skating, snowboarding and all the other events so you can watch on your computer.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3832502;
    Shani's win was amazing. The media sort of chooses who they like to pay attention to. I don't know why they don't like Shani. They don't like Johnny Weir either. And he is a medal contender. They just ignore him. If you don't fit the "darling" mold, then you are out!
    I'm giggling a little because this is one of my favorite ESPN features ever:

ESPN - OTL: Johnny Weir is a real man - E-ticket
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Just catching up on all the posts. There have been alot of fantastic comments, very enjoyable to read them all! I had a rough start trying to figure out what was on and when, however whoever gave me the vancouver2010.com site, thank you, its fantastic. Its all in real time, it refreshes automatically, it tells you what games are live, you can click on anything and it will give you standings times etc, and you can watch online events as well. I have had an online event going while watching another event on TV.

I watched NBC for a total of 10 minutes, the other night, just to see how they were doing, I can't take that station sorry. I want to know about all the athletes, not just Canadian American or favourites.

Mens hockey is up next. As another posted mentioned upthread, this is a toughie because some of my favourite players are on opposing teams!!!

Regardless, its hockey time!!! I'm glad to see everyone is enjoying the games!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3832633;
    I'm giggling a little because this is one of my favorite ESPN features ever:

ESPN - OTL: Johnny Weir is a real man - E-ticket
    Thanks for sharing Mariner! I didn't really know anything about him, I watched him skate the other night and wondered . This is a great story, good for him being his own person.

ETA I watched Shaun White last night, I've never seen him before, heard alot about him. I couldn't believe my eyes!!! As the announcer said, he has wings! What a great athlete!

+ Reply to Thread