+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 112 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Wow, Shaun White is really amazing, isn't he?
    And it was great to see Louie on the snow, instead of the dance floor.

Can anybody explain to me why Shani Davis was not hyped like the other athletes? I read an article online about how he didn't exhibit team behavior at thye last Olympics, but it did not explain what he had actually done. The guy just won a gold medal. Why was he not celebrated like the others?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

When did they start "painting" (blue) lines on ski runs? Noticed it the other day during Snowboard Cross, but I thought it was just a snowboard thing. I now see they have lines on the downhill runs too. Is this a safety thing? Do they do it at the World Cup events also?

Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3832339;

Can anybody explain to me why Shani Davis was not hyped like the other athletes? I read an article online about how he didn't exhibit team behavior at thye last Olympics, but it did not explain what he had actually done. The guy just won a gold medal. Why was he not celebrated like the others?
    They actually talked quite a bit about him on Canadian TV. Apparently he trained with and is best friends with a Canadian sped skater Denny ( I don't remember his last name). Shanni was pretty freaking amazing wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by CantinaBandFan;3832384;
    They actually talked quite a bit about him on Canadian TV. Apparently he trained with and is best friends with a Canadian sped skater Denny ( I don't remember his last name). Shanni was pretty freaking amazing wasn't he?
    Yes, he was totally amazing.
    Did they say why the US barely acknowledges him?
    I've heard about Apolo, Lindsay, Bode and Shaun.
    But, I've heard nothing on Shanni.
    I think NBC's coverage of the Olympics is on a par with all the puff pieces that AI uses to pimp their favored contestants.

I think the criticism of Shani goes back to Torino when he wouldn't participate in the relay event, I think so he could focus on other races. Chad Hedrick called him "unpatriotic." This year, he's getting some criticism over dropping out of the 500m after ending up in 18th place after the prelims when it was too late for another skater to race in his place. I kind of understand the second issue - he's not going to skate, but another US skater can't either. I think that, if he entered the event he needs to finish, no matter what place he ends up in.

I still like Shani a lot, but I understand why others in the sport might have issues.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832405;
    I think the criticism of Shani goes back to Torino when he wouldn't participate in the relay event, I think so he could focus on other races. Chad Hedrick called him "unpatriotic." This year, he's getting some criticism over dropping out of the 500m after ending up in 18th place after the prelims when it was too late for another skater to race in his place. I kind of understand the second issue - he's not going to skate, but another US skater can't either. I think that, if he entered the event he needs to finish, no matter what place he ends up in.

I still like Shani a lot, but I understand why others in the sport might have issues.
    Thank you so much.
    I didn't know about any of that.

"I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3832401;
    Yes, he was totally amazing.
    Did they say why the US barely acknowledges him?
    I've heard about Apolo, Lindsay, Bode and Shaun.
    But, I've heard nothing on Shanni.
    I think NBC's coverage of the Olympics is on a par with all the puff pieces that AI uses to pimp their favored contestants.
    I'm not crazy about NBC's coverage, either. I'd rather see more events, more medal ceremonies, less fireside chats, less filler, less packaged pieces, less play by play of the days events. It seems like all the criticism NBC has gotten has fallen on deaf ears. Even if people tuned out in huge numbers, they still wouldn't think they were at fault They were talking earlier about the obvious, how these athletes like Shaun, Lindsey, and Apolo are coming in and everyone's just expecting them to win. Everyone's watching Shaun and just seeing what he's got up his sleeve. I was holding my breath last night during his run, because I can't imagine what the media would do to him if he got anything but first. Louie gave such an amazing performance, I think he'll very likely medal the next time around. He'll only have that much more time prepare.

I'm more familiar with the U.S. athletes, but it's been great getting to know more of the international athletes and seeing them shine. I'm watching the women's half pipe qualifying now, and that rider from Spain-wow. If she doesn't get a gold here, she'll get it in 2014. I've always been a big fan of Torah Bright from Australia as well. Watching Ana Pearson during the women's downhill last night-yikes. I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain, I can't imagine going through all that and then being able to get up and walk away (even with help). It was a great night last night, and looks to be an even more exciting night tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3832373;
    When did they start "painting" (blue) lines on ski runs? Noticed it the other day during Snowboard Cross, but I thought it was just a snowboard thing. I now see they have lines on the downhill runs too. Is this a safety thing? Do they do it at the World Cup events also?

Thanx.
    It is a safety thing. I read that they don't have to stay inside the lines, they're just there as a precaution. All of the horizontal lines provide depth perception.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I've been watching hockey and curling and whatever else they're showing on the other NBC networks during the day, but it's not much.

I remember, years ago, watching ALL of the ladies figure skating short program during the day on one of the cable networks. We're talking every single skater and some of them you really didn't want to see. Then they showed the highlights on NBC that night. I wish they'd do that - seeing all of the competitors makes you appreciate the ones in the top 20 - it shows you how difficult the sport really is.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread