+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 112 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I'm watching the US and Switzerland in a nailbiter, right now. Tied 6-6 in the 11th.

I am watching curling too - wow - another close one for the US men. Can they pull off this last one. I love this game even though I know little about it. Dang, they lose again.

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3831559;
    Louis "Dancing with the Stars" Vito is currently in 2nd. Shaun White is on now.

Moves into 1st with on overwhelming lead. Go Animal!
    That's just for qualifying. The medal event doesn't start until 6:15 Pacific. Still, Shaun came in 1st and Louie came in 3rd! That'll give them good spots for the finals!

BC - and Victoria in particular - is one of my favorite places in the world! Natural beauty, lovely people and lots of culture too. What's not to like? Two of the best meals of my life were in BC. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Canadians shouldn't be embarrassed by anything - the games have been wonderful and they're certainly working hard to deal with the problems caused by the weather. Things happen during the Olympics that can't be planned for - look at Atlanta and Munich.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yee Ha! Silver for Marianne St-Gelais in the 500 m short track...what a nice birthday present!

I was on the nbcolympics.com site and they have a great video section and are doing some complete replays of the curling and hockey games, halfpipe etc.... I don't know how that will translate though to north of the border. But it is a great feature if you missed something.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm always in so much awe at these athletes, more than watching any other sport throughout the year. It was a great day. My only slight disappointment was seeing Louie Vito not get on the podium, but he's still so young, and I'm sure he'll be back even stronger in 2014. But there's no contest when it comes to Shaun White. 20 years from now, he'll be one of the legendary athletes that went down in Olympic history that continually gets the compare/contrast to the new league of snowboarders.

After seeing Lindsey Vonn with her injury and not being sure if she'd be able to skate, I was thrilled to see her take gold. What a moment. Always great seeing Apolo as well. Women's short track was exciting tonight. Another great finish.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3831977;
    My only slight disappointment was seeing Louie Vito not get on the podium, but he's still so young, and I'm sure he'll be back even stronger in 2014. But there's no contest when it comes to Shaun White. 20 years from now, he'll be one of the legendary athletes that went down in Olympic history that continually gets the compare/contrast to the new league of snowboarders.
    I held my breath through both of his runs and he did great. When he focuses and doesn't get caught up on a bad run, he can hang with the best of them He gets huge props for giving a shout to Kevin Pearce who is slowly recovering from a near life-ending injury in the Olympic qualifiers. I thought his second run was scored low but huge props to Shaun and Scotty for reaching the podium. Go team USA!

Aw, my heart goes out to Lindsey Jacobellis. It's not like she lost because of a stupid decision; she lost because of an honest mistake. She had so much pressure coming in that it must have gotten to her. Before the events commenced, she stated to the media that these Olympics weren't for redemption. But I didn't believe her; I think she was trying to downplay the situation to make it easier on her mindset.

And it's so true when she stated that it's really unfortunate that everyone only sees the Olympics. We don't watch the X Games like we do the Olympics. I dropped by her Wiki page, and I couldn't believe all of her success! But she's only 24 right now. She's still young and possibly has 2 more Olympics in her. Maëlle Ricker is 31, and Seth Wescott is 33. Look how they're doing. Hopefully if she does participate in Sochi, she will have less pressure on her. The third time is always a charm!

Also, an interesting opinion: The Olympics: Where the biggest loser wins, by Chris Mauro

On another note, I am hitting myself over the head. I took a short nap before right before the show today, thinking I would wake up righr before 8. But now I've missed 2 hours--including Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso's 1-2 finish. I'll have to stay up late to catch the rerun!

Oh, and I wasn't all that interested in Men's Figure Skating last time, but the competition is heating up! All I want to see is Plushenko knocked down a peg or two by either Lysacek or Takahashi.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 02-18-2010 at 03:18 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3830158;
    The female skating annoucer had mentioned this story. Her comments were that Japan does not have a very strong program for pairs skaters and that if this girl wanted to compete she probably needed to move to another country. Pairs skating is very different than singles as you do need a partner that you can work with and has a very good skill set. No one said anything about when the French National Pairs Champions split and his new partner is a Canadian living in Britain. I do know that some Japanese consider Kavaguti a traitor to their country but she made some tough choices to pursue her dreams. Isn't that what the Olympics is about?

What about Tanith Belbin, no one screamed traitor or act of desperation when she got her American citizenship for she could compete and medal in the previous winter Olympics??
    Kavaguti definitely chased her dream, and like I stated before, that could be considered admirable in some sorts. But personally, I just think it's unfortunate that she had to give up the life she had grew up with and replace it for her dream of figure skating. Adjusting to the language barrier, finding a new home in a new country, changing her name from Kawaguchi to Kavaguti to make it sound "more Russian." And what I find really sad is that she now has to get a visa to go back to Japan to visit her parents.

And I had not known that about Tanith. Hmm... that gives me a new perspective on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3831419;
    I am so sick of the NBC coverage of these games.

I actually took the time to comment at one of our local columnist's suggestion:

Ron Judd | What Olympic tape-delay controversy? NBC still doesn't get it | Seattle Times Newspaper

I really, really miss being able to watch the CBC coverage which is how I've watched the last several Olympics. We are actually talking about driving to Vancouver on Sunday without tickets for anything and just hanging out and soaking in the atmosphere. We figure that we'll at least get to watch the US/Canada hockey game live on a tv somewhere.
    In a way, I do agree with the coverage of NBC. They pick and choose what to show, leaving out the amazing effort of athletes who have just go out there and do their best. And the main thing that aggravates me is that I always managed to get spoiled! The coverage over the Olympics on the internet and on the local news announces victories as they happen, not after they air here in the west. It takes out the excitement I would have with some events. I would have loved to have seen Lindsey Vonn pull it out, but even before my nap, I had been spoiled online.

And take me with you! No, just kidding, but I would really love to do that myself. Even without tickets, I would love to visit a host city just to get a feel of the environment. Maybe get a picture with the flame.

ETA: Oh wow, Bob Costas was just interview Stephen Colbert during the late night show, and at the very end of the interview, Colbert asked if he could warm up by the fireplace. He actually went into the fireplace and stated, "It's the authenticy of NBC that I appreciate!"
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 02-18-2010 at 03:34 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I'm really enjoying seeing team Canada toward the top of the medal count. I know they have the home advantage but they are just doing so well. If only the even planners were as impressive as the athletes! Speed skating was delayed again because the starting device stopped working! And some are saying the downhill skiing course was too hard and lots of skiers fell and were injured. Too bad! Some of those falls were frightening.

The 2-man luge was interesting. Those men are sitting uncomfortably close to each other. Is it just me who notices that? I feel like I've never been so close to someone else like they are and I am not a virgin. Yikes!

What a great day for team USA! 6 medals, 3 gold! Shaun White was amazing! Louie Vito gave a great effort. That Japanese man with the dreadlocks was intriguing. I love the spirit of snowboarding and the clothes that they wear. So much fun! Shani Davis was a pleasure to watch! He was so fast! And then there was Lindsey Vonn! Amazing! Unfortunately, we probably won't have another day like this until 2012!

+ Reply to Thread