+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 112 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Thanks babymay. I admit I just noticed how far back she was but didn't click on the blog. I'm trying to pretend I'm working.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

VAIL'S VONN WINS GOLD

1:43pm: Vail's Lindsey Vonn lived up to expectations and won the Olympic downhill Wednesday, and her childhood rival and American teammate Julia Mancuso took a surprise silver medal...

Vail Colorado | VailDaily.com News

You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3831536;
    Thanks babymay. I admit I just noticed how far back she was but didn't click on the blog. I'm trying to pretend I'm working.
    No worries. I just found the blog during this race. It sure does make it easier since I can't access twitter at work and get real time info from tweets.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3830964;
    I think all the athletes are amazing.......just to be at the Olympics is quite an achievement. I love how excited the athletes are to do their very best and to be able to take home a medal for their hard work, no matter the country. I think Canada has done a wonderful job as a host and as competitors, I'm thrilled to be Canadian!
    ITA. There are so many sports and I've only got 2 favorites out of them all (Bode & Apolo). That being said, I love to learn about all the other athletes and usually find some new favorites based on their stories, such as Alexandre Bilodeau. Hearing him speak about his brother and what an inspiration he is (he could just as easily have felt the other way) had me in tears and made me a new fan!

The trials and tribulations that most athletes go through in order to get here -- well, I think they're just amazing, whether they medal or not. Just making it to participate in the Olympics is a huge achievement. And to be in the Winter Olympics...well, that takes a special breed of person in itself!

I, for one, don't think Canada's got anything to be embarrassed about...unless you Canucks have found out some way to control the weather and are making it warm on purpose...in which case I want you to make it stop snowing in the South! As someone else mentioned, the weather is C-R-A-Z-Y this year. I live in Georgia and my sister who lives just south of Montreal in Vermont has been laughing that we've had more snowstorms than they have! But kidding aside, the weather can't be blamed for postponements (I read that in 1998, Nagano had to cancel events and over 60,000 people lost their tickets) and I think it's silly to blame that on organizers.

What I love most about the Olympics is that it's a time of unity for the World. It's fun to see the underdogs do well...didn't we all cheer on the Jamaican bobsled team when they first made their debut?? And while it's fun to cheer on our favorites, it's just as fun to learn about athletes from across the world as well. Okay, sorry, didn't mean to come off like I'm standing on a soapbox.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 02-17-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Louis "Dancing with the Stars" Vito is currently in 2nd. Shaun White is on now.

Moves into 1st with on overwhelming lead. Go Animal!

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3831549;
    ITA. There are so many sports and I've only got 2 favorites out of them all (Bode & Apolo). That being said, I love to learn about all the other athletes and usually find some new favorites based on their stories, such as Alexandre Bilodeau. Hearing him speak about his brother and what an inspiration he is (he could just as easily have felt the other way) had me in tears and made me a new fan!

The trials and tribulations that most athletes go through in order to get here -- well, I think they're just amazing, whether they medal or not. Just making it to participate in the Olympics is a huge achievement. And to be in the Winter Olympics...well, that takes a special breed of person in itself!

I, for one, don't think Canada's got anything to be embarrassed about...unless you Canucks have found out some way to control the weather and are making it warm on purpose...in which case I want you to make it stop snowing in the South! As someone else mentioned, the weather is C-R-A-Z-Y this year. I live in Georgia and my sister who lives just south of Montreal in Vermont has been laughing that we've had more snowstorms than they have! But kidding aside, the weather can't be blamed for postponements (I read that in 1998, Nagano had to cancel events and over 60,000 people lost their tickets) and I think it's silly to blame that on organizers.

What I love most about the Olympics is that it's a time of unity for the World. It's fun to see the underdogs do well...didn't we all cheer on the Jamaican bobsled team when they first made their debut?? And while it's fun to cheer on our favorites, it's just as fun to learn about athletes from across the world as well. Okay, sorry, didn't mean to come off like I'm standing on a soapbox.
    We all (within range) stepped outside in the dead of night, last night, took deep breaths, and blew the clouds away . It's nice and sunny here, now, and it's supposed to be sunny through the weekend . It'll still be warm in the day (chilly at night), but at least it won't be pouring rain for awhile. Besides that, the place is gorgeous when the sun is out. If you've never been here, come visit sometime . Our licence plate motto is Beautiful British Columbia.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 02-17-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3831549;
    Trust me, that's not the case, or we wouldn't be freezing our asses off for 8 months of the year. No Canadian loves skiing, snowboarding, or snowmobiling THAT much. Funny, I thought it was a Canadian thing to bitch constantly about the weather, but apparently, it's an international press thing, too.

And because I absolutely MUST get this off my chest - I can't think of anything more hypocritical than David Letterman accusing someone else of hypocrisy. Unless he's suddenly become an expert on the luging techniques and tracks, his attack is baseless and ill-informed. I liked him better when he was funny.

ETA: I can vouch for Tribal Speak - BC is truly the most beautiful province. I have never had the privilege of living there but have visited several times and plan to visit many more.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3831583;
    Trust me, that's not the case, or we wouldn't be freezing our asses off for 8 months of the year. No Canadian loves skiing, snowboarding, or snowmobiling THAT much. Funny, I thought it was a Canadian thing to bitch constantly about the weather, but apparently, it's an international press thing, too.

And because I absolutely MUST get this off my chest - I can't think of anything more hypocritical than David Letterman accusing someone else of hypocrisy. Unless he's suddenly become an expert on the luging techniques and tracks, his attack is baseless and ill-informed. I liked him better when he was funny.

ETA: I can vouch for Tribal Speak - BC is truly the most beautiful province. I have never had the privilege of living there but have visited several times and plan to visit many more.

I've only visited BC once when I was young and so don't remember it at all. It looks very beautiful though - would love to visit. I think it might have some competition in the beauty stakes from Nova Scotia or PEI, though.

What did Letterman say?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Chasing down a rumour about David Letterman coming to the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, I tuned in to his Monday-night show to see if he might indeed be headed our way.

Instead, I watched in amazement as Letterman devoted a large portion of his opening monologue to skewering both the Vancouver Organizing Committee and the IOC for their initial response to the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili.

The late-night host was quietly seething. You could see it in the way he kept his head turned sharp-right toward Shafer and the band, only occasionally shifting toward the camera and the audience.

It felt like an eternity as Letterman wouldn't let go of his anger over the way officials initially blamed the death on Kumaritashvili's lack of experience and a "mistake" during his trial run.

"For them to say it is because he made a mistake, that just stinks," Letterman said, "because if the kid made a mistake and that was the end of it, they wouldn't have repaired the track and covered up the girders and started from the women's starting point.

"You know what it is? It's hypocrisy, ladies and gentlemen."

At which point, thankfully, someone applauded his measured rant and it came to an end.
    Source: Letterman skewers Vanoc and IOC over luger's death

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3831528;
    Who knew curling could be so interesting to watch-- my kids were home from school and spent over 2 hrs, watching it. They were so enthralled, getting excited when the stone was in the 'button' and everything. I always assumed it was boring...who knew!?!
    Curling is actually a lot of fun to play as well. I did it a lot in my teens and early twenties. We had a large group of people who played bonspeils, which are basically a round robin type of tournament, that ran all weekend, from Friday night to Sunday night, all night, no stopping. There were 7 or 8 curling rinks around town, and all of them were used, so you would curl at one rink, then go to another and curl, then move on as you progressed throughout the tournament. Lots (and lots and lots) of alcohol was involved, and little sleep. Maybe a short nap between games, if you were lucky.

The really cool thing about curling , imho, is that a 12 year old can compete with an 80 year old, same game, and it's a fair game, no one throwing it to the other. Not many sports that you can do that in. I miss the game, but it's not really popular where I live now.

Anyway, sorry for my little tangent, I'm just happy to see curling getting a bit more exposure.

+ Reply to Thread