+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: The Olympic Games

On 2016: I was thrilled Rio got it. I think it was a shock, and I loved the footage of the Brazilians celebrating when it was announced they were getting it (and before that even ) I can't say I was surprised Chicago was out first, or that it didn't get picked. I was thinking Tokyo or Madrid would probably get it, but I don't follow Olympic politics or reasonings so I'm sure there's a good reason why they haven't yet. I'm sure Rio will put on quite a show.

On 2010: It seems like just yesterday Vancouver was announced as the official host city for 2010, and here we are, almost there! The Winter Olympics are by far my favorite compared to the summer games. I really got into following snowboarding during the 2002 games and especially after 2006. I also love snow skiing (freestyle, ski jumping, alpine, nordic combined), figure skating (especially the pairs), speed skating, and the bob sledding. That surprises me about the controversy over the women's ski jumping. I never would have guessed that, but what's the big deal for women to participate? That's a shock. I'm even more surprised that hasn't gained more attention. Hopefully it does and gets resolved.

I haven't heard much about the Olympic games yet, but read that the torch is on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3776323;
    That surprises me about the controversy over the women's ski jumping. I never would have guessed that, but what's the big deal for women to participate? That's a shock. I'm even more surprised that hasn't gained more attention. Hopefully it does and gets resolved.
    I went and found an NPR report on it from last summer. Apparently the argument is that there are not enough women competing to make it worthwhile. The same argument could be made for the men (there are not that many) however, the men's competition has been an event since the beginning, so it is "grandfathered in". IMO, if they are going to continue to support the men's competition then they should be required to allow women to compete. To not do so is discriminatory. They cannot argue that the women are not competitive, especially given that a woman holds the current all time record on one of the jumps they will be using in Vancouver!! JMO, not that it matters to the IOC...

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3776323;
    I haven't heard much about the Olympic games yet, but read that the torch is on it's way.
    It went through my town yesterday - what an amazing sight to see! We also had a special, unannounced guest carry it - Mr. Gordie Howe!

{image courtesy of the Windsor Star}
    Attached Images Attached Images

Snowboarder Kevin Pearce was critically injured Friday while training for the Olympic qualifier. He's a fantastic rider and a great kid from what I've heard about him.
    Snowboarder Kevin Pearce remains in critical condition with traumatic brain injury | Outposts | Los Angeles Times

Snowboarder Kevin Pearce remains in critical condition at the University of Utah hospital after a head injury sustained while training in the halfpipe at Park City, Utah, for this week's Olympics qualifier at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area.

Pearce was completing a cab double cork -- a twisting double back flip maneuver he's landed before -- when he caught his toe-side edge while landing.

Though Pearce, 22, was wearing a helmet, he hit his head above one of his eyes and was knocked unconscious.

“Kevin sustained a severe traumatic brain injury. He is currently in intensive care and in critical condition, but stable and has not needed to undergo surgery at this time. He is intubated and being kept sedated," Holly Ledyard, a neurointensivist who is one of Pearce's doctors, said in a statement issued Saturday and posted on the Facebook page family members created.

"The focus over the next week will be watching for any swelling in his brain and keeping his brain pressure normal. Kevin has a long recovery ahead of him,” said Ledyard.

Outposts will post updates on Pearce as information becomes available.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3782293;
    Snowboarder Kevin Pearce was critically injured Friday while training for the Olympic qualifier. He's a fantastic rider and a great kid from what I've heard about him.
    That is terrible and so sad! It sounds like he was doing everything right by wearing a helmet, but still sustained this injury.

FORT Fogey

When will the figure skating team be announced? We've got a chance to win with our men! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3787184;
    When will the figure skating team be announced? We've got a chance to win with our men! Yay!
    This is the television schedule for the US Nationals, coming up in just 10 days!! These are all on NBC and all in eastern time for the LIVE feed. No idea if they will time delay for time zones to the west, we'll have to check our local providers...

Sat. Jan. 16 4:30-6pm Nationals (Pairs Long)
    Sun. Jan. 17 4:30-6pm Nationals (Mens Long)
    Sat. Jan. 23 3-6pm Nationals (Free Dance)
    Sat. Jan. 23 9-11pm Nationals (Ladies Long)
    Sun. Jan. 24 4-6pm Nationals (Exhibitions)

Of course the organization has the right to overrule the results of this competition and send another skater, but typically the top finishers at Nationals go on to the Olympics.

Also worth noting-- I believe that due to our finish at the World Championships last year, we only get to send two ladies...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3787318;
    This is the television schedule for the US Nationals, coming up in just 10 days!! These are all on NBC and all in eastern time for the LIVE feed. No idea if they will time delay for time zones to the west, we'll have to check our local providers...

Sat. Jan. 16 4:30-6pm Nationals (Pairs Long)
    Sun. Jan. 17 4:30-6pm Nationals (Mens Long)
    Sat. Jan. 23 3-6pm Nationals (Free Dance)
    Sat. Jan. 23 9-11pm Nationals (Ladies Long)
    Sun. Jan. 24 4-6pm Nationals (Exhibitions)

Of course the organization has the right to overrule the results of this competition and send another skater, but typically the top finishers at Nationals go on to the Olympics.
    Thanks! This is good to know.

It is not saddening that only 2 women will make the team. They aren't contenders for medals anyway. The men's competition is so competitive this season that that is going to be the event to watch.

The Olympic Rings are lit up in Vancouver Harbour now:

+ Reply to Thread