+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 112 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Mar, CBC isn't covering the games, it's the CTV network and TSN (our sports network) and Rogers SportsNet, if you happen to have their service. I haven't been happy with CTV or TSN - neither has shown fit to show the figure skating short programs in their entirety. If it wasn't for the 2010 site we'd be lost, particularly my older daughter, who has to recap a sport (she picked figure skating, of course) for homework. The Canadian hockey games are being shown, naturally, but they didn't show the Russia game last night.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Loved the skating.
    Johnny did a good job, but I do understand that they're judged on a lot more than just artistry. Johnny really reminds me of Rudy Gallindo.
    I thought Evan was great and especially love the fact that his incredible work ethic is being so rewarded.
    Lots of really good performances and some not so good ones.
    Plushenko's not my favorite, but I can't deny the fact that he's an incredible skater.
    Can't wait to see what happens on Thursday.

I am very tired of NBC's coverage of the Olympics. While I understand that their coverage would be slanted toward Americans (even though I don't agree with it), it would be nice if they would "pimp" an Olympian simply because of their body of work and not just because they'd look good on a Cornflakes box!!:nono
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3831440;
    Mar, CBC isn't covering the games, it's the CTV network and TSN (our sports network) and Rogers SportsNet, if you happen to have their service.
    And, that''s the problem for us down here. CBC is part of our local Comcast package. CTV and TSN aren't. We are all spoiled from the past several Olympics. Take your disappointment in the coverage you are getting and multiply it by 100. The NBC men's downhill coverage was horrible. I think they showed 6 skiers on tape delay and ran two puff pieces on Bode Miller and one other skier. There were also at least 3 commercials. I don't hate Bob Costas but I would really rather watch the actual events than watch him in studio. It's like NBC paid a gazillion dollars for the rights but now doesn't want to spend any more money to actually cover the Games.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3831451;
    I don't hate Bob Costas but I would really rather watch the actual events than watch him in studio. It's like NBC paid a gazillion dollars for the rights but now doesn't want to spend any more money to actually cover the Games.
    Even worse was the puff piece they ran the other night about polar bears. POLAR BEARS!!! Last time I looked, polar bears were not competing in the Olympics, so why waste my time when you could be showing me the sports I actually tuned in to watch!?!?!?!?

CCL

^ Polar Bears should compete in the Olympics. Can you imagine seeing them whip down the mountain in skis - now that would get ratings.

I mostly watch the Canadian coverage but I have tuned into NBC on occasion. Last night they were showing the snowboard cross event. They showed the semfinals when Lindsay Jacobellis got out and then they switched to another event. It was as if because the American was out noone watching would be interested in finding out who ended up winning.

Generally I've liked the CTV/Sportsnet/TSN coverage except I did get a bit tired of seeing Alexandre Bilodeau after a while (first the montage of his win in English, then let's see it in French, then let's show his medal ceremony ten times).

It seems most of the media here is grumbling about the games (the weather, the lack of French in the opening ceremonies, the transportation problems) so that's a bit of a downer.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Any updates from Canada on the womens downhill? The official site hasn't refreshed for a while? I am getting worried for the Swiss gal in bib 11.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3831444;
    Plushenko's not my favorite, but I can't deny the fact that he's an incredible skater.
    Can't wait to see what happens on Thursday.
    I can deny it! I think Plushenko is a great jumper. The rest of his skating just isn't up to par. Dick Button said as much during last night's broadcast when watching Plushenko's footwork sequences. If you look at his scorecard and compare it to Evan's, you can see that what gave Plushenko the win in the SP was his quad: Evan beat him artistically by several points. If Plushenko didn't have the quad, he'd be in 2nd or even 3rd place right now. I'm hoping that he blows a few jumps in the LP and Evan skates the program of his life. I hate to say that, but I also hate that the competition could come down to jumps only and someone who isn't the best all-around skater can win just by doing quads.

Never have liked Plushenko and really, I can hardly bear to watch him with that horrid haircut and smug attitude. I'd love to see a better all-around skater beat him and knock him down a few pegs.

If you look at Johnny's scorecard, some of his elements had a lower start value than Evan's or some of the others. I actually like being able to see the scores in depth, so I can understand why they were scored the way the were. Johnny skated really well, but his routine didn't have as much difficulty.

On a completely unrelated Olympic note, this was a really good article: FOXNews.com - Do the Olympics have a death wish?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3831468;
    Any updates from Canada on the womens downhill? The official site hasn't refreshed for a while? I am getting worried for the Swiss gal in bib 11.
    Looks like she didn't finish Nothing else on the site other than DNF next to her name.

Lindsay is up next!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3831482;
    Looks like she didn't finish Nothing else on the site other than DNF next to her name.

Lindsay is up next!
    Found NBCs site- much faster Go Lindsey! Julia! and Alice!
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Lindsay's in first place! I don't know the other skiers who still haven't raced. Anyone know who her biggest competitors are?

Babymay - I'm on the official site and it's updating almost in real time (or at least it seems that way!). If you go to the page that has the actual race on it, you can see the results as they happen. I was "watching" the figure skating that way last night.

+ Reply to Thread