+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 112 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3831109;
    I fell plushenko was overscored. Evan and the japanese overall really impressed me.
    theczech is the true underdog. Seriously johnny, do you need to spend all that time on designing a costume.

I really thing the skating organization should rethink the scoring. Artistry gotta count for something
    When was Johnny on?

I've still not seen him and now they're showing Lindesay Jacobellus.( sp?)
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Johnny skated 25th. I think the Lindsey interview was after Evan and Jeremy both came after him.

FORT Fogey

I think Johnny was on right before 8 pm. I haven't seen it yet. Lots of people thought he was underscored! I love that guy and I am happy that he made the final group! He's performing second to last. Based on past performances, I think it will go 1. Plushenko 2. Takahashi 3. Lysacek. I hope I am wrong!

As far as the Olympics being an embarrassment, I certainly don't mean as far as performances and placing go. Canada is doing great! 2 golds is great! I always find myself rooting for them. But our commentators keep recounting all the things that have gone terribly wrong in this Olympics. The luge and the death, the ice resurfacing machine broke on the speed skating track, the weather has been bad, and the fourth arm didn't work. It is kind of all building up! But I hope things turn around. Beijing is a tough one to follow. At least there was no bomb, right?

Team USA got no medals. Jacobellis was a shocker. I like to think the reason we didn't medal today is because the Women's downhill was canceled. We need alpine skiing. We have a shot at those! Leave the cross country skiing to the Europeans. I do think it is a shame we didn't even have one American in the snowboarding finals. Sad day!

Tomorrow is HUGE! Apolo Ohno, Shani Davis, Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn! Amazing! I hope they all pull through! Louie Vito is up tomorrow too! He is in the same event as Shaun. Exciting!
    Last edited by RealityLovesMe; 02-17-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3831128;
    Johnny skated 25th. I think the Lindsey interview was after Evan and Jeremy both came after him.
    THanks. Sounds like he's not been on yet. I've not seen Evan or Jeremy yet.

FORT Fogey

I am dumb. He performed around 8 pm local time. It airs at 11 pm-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3831168;
    I am dumb. He performed around 8 pm local time. It airs at 11 pm-ish.
    Thanks, Reality.
    I just saw him a few minutes ago.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;3831096;
    I'm just gutted for Jeremy Abbott. Poor guy can't put it together on the world stage ever, and he is so amazingly talented! He was the one with the goods to beat Plushenko. Plushenko is so smug, and I just don't like that quality in an athlete. Besides he really lacks artistry, but that's not being rewarded so much nowadays. The top 3 are very close, so maybe Evan or Daisuke can pull it off.
    I totally agree with you here, especially the part I bolded. Read an article this morning regarding the press conference after the skate and apparently he truly is as arrogant and snotty as I had always perceived. I always want athletes to succeed in the Olympics regardless of country, but, as bad as it sounds, I'd love to see him land on his butt instead of his feet. Won't happen, but I just can't stand him. He has amazing talent (artistry is indeed lacking) but he is just :nono.

FORT Fogey

Yes, Johnny was way underscored. These judging really, it's like beauty pageant, they already have a score in mind before the girl opens her mouth and usually stick to it.

Jeremy really bombed, same as Brian joubert and stephane. Did you guys see the cursing of Brian...Priceless.
    I was so hoping one of these guys shock Plushenko. I think Plushenko will take the gold to the dismain of everyone. Evan has never been that good on long programs

I was really glad to see Lambiel continue through his botched jump because I thought the last section of his program was outstanding. I have always liked that guy - I think because he is such a strong spinner.

Plushenko is arrogant and smug. I think that is also why I never cared much for him when he was competing before. I grudgingly admit that he did a good job, but I still thought his scores were on the high side.

I was so glad to see Johnny do well. I thought he was underscored and IMO he is one of the clear cases that show how this new system heavily weights the individual elements over artistry. He had a great time and had pizazz that I did not see from any other skater tonight! While I like seeing a quad jump as much as anyone else, I don't necessarily think that not having one eliminates a skater from medal contention (they mentioned this when Lambiel was skating). Also on the topic of Johnny Weir, what is up with the NBC coverage of American skaters!? They had an entire segment on Evan and Jeremy, portraying them as the "serious tough guys"....Hello NBC - we have three talented American men in this competition!! It was like after Johnny skated the announcers just decided to act like he wasn't really in the competition anymore. I am getting fed up with Evan and his serious, brooding affectation.

I am so sick of the NBC coverage of these games.

I actually took the time to comment at one of our local columnist's suggestion:

Ron Judd | What Olympic tape-delay controversy? NBC still doesn't get it | Seattle Times Newspaper

I really, really miss being able to watch the CBC coverage which is how I've watched the last several Olympics. We are actually talking about driving to Vancouver on Sunday without tickets for anything and just hanging out and soaking in the atmosphere. We figure that we'll at least get to watch the US/Canada hockey game live on a tv somewhere.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread