+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I don't think Canada is at all embarrassed about the awards so far! In fact, I was just coming onto FORT to celebrate...we have 2 gold, 2 silver and a bronze medal, and we're only 4 days into the games. Yay!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't see what Canada has to be embarrassed about. Look at the weather America is having. I live in upstate NY and down south they're having our winter for us (my apologies, but thanks guys ) In terms of the luge incident, I've seen several articles where everyone seems to be pointing the finger at someone else and even blaming the athlete, which I think is wrong. Brian Williams said it right that a human life had to be lost for them to make simple precautions to improve safety on the track. Trying to make it the fastest track in the world just because shouldn't be an issue. The safety of the athletes should. But any sport comes with risks. I think it was more classless that they kept showing his fatal run. I can't imagine what his family thinks if they accidentally run across that on TV

So enough gloom and doom stuff, I can't wait for snowboarding tomorrow! My heart went out to Lindsey Jacobellus (sp?) when she fell during the snowboard cross. Hopefully she can come back stronger than ever in 2014. After hearing the voiceovers about her redeeming herself and not succeeding, I can see why Kelly Clark almost left the sport because the fun was taken out of it for her. Shaun White is probably one of the most hyped American athletes, so hopefully all goes well for him. Also will be watching for my DWTS fave Louie Vito.

I was so happy to see the Chinese couple take the gold for the pairs program. I feel like there's so much pressure on them when they're the ones to beat and have the backstory everyone's watching. Also excited for Bode taking a bronze, and can't wait to see more of Apolo.

Count me in as being excited to see Plushenko. I'm more excited for the men's program than the women's this year. Johnny Weir isn't my favorite but I am curious to see how he does.

I am watching Men's Curling online right now. US vs Norway. Quite a match! I may switch over to watch Canada in a bit. It is great to see it live!

For figure skating fans, the official site - vancouver2010.com - has the score breakdowns for each skater. You can see what each element was scored and what deductions were taken. It's kind of cool to see what the judges were actually looking at and what caused one skater to be scored lower than another.

Johnny Weir is about to skate! I know he may not medal, but I really want him (and everyone) to skate cleanly!

I'm checking all this out online so that, if one of my faves really has a bad skate, I don't have to watch it without being "forewarned."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3831056;
    My heart went out to Lindsey Jacobellus (sp?) when she fell during the snowboard cross.
    Mine too She always rocks the X Games but when it comes to Olympic gold, there is always something that gets in her way.

I'm enjoying the men's skating, but ... seriously, these are some ugly outfits!! What was up with the overalls with the grease stains and one strap falling off? The "sparkley skeleton" outfit? The pink tassel and pink lace-up bodice? YIKES!! Makes me long for the day of Kurt Browning with his Casablanca routine. Nice white tux jacket...ahhhh...

FORT Fogey

I'm just gutted for Jeremy Abbott. Poor guy can't put it together on the world stage ever, and he is so amazingly talented! He was the one with the goods to beat Plushenko. Plushenko is so smug, and I just don't like that quality in an athlete. Besides he really lacks artistry, but that's not being rewarded so much nowadays. The top 3 are very close, so maybe Evan or Daisuke can pull it off.

Is Johnny Weir not skating tonight? I saw Yvgeny about a half hour ago. I agree that he's not so much about artistry, but he is an amazing skater.
    Did Johnny come on before Yvgeny?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I wasn't overly impressed with the men's program tonight. Loved Evan, Plushenko, and Takahasi, and the Czech skater who went last. Beyond that, I wasn't too impressed.

Got a full plate tomorrow night starting at 8. I can't wait!

Mine too She always rocks the X Games but when it comes to Olympic gold, there is always something that gets in her way.
    I saw her interview, at least she's keeping her spirits high, considering. I wonder if we'll be seeing her again in 2014 (it'll be here before we know it). She does seem to always keep it together until the moment it really counts. She bumped into one of the boarders, I think the one from Canada, so while she didn't go down, I wonder if she could have gotten DQ for that I know everyone's talking Shaun, Kelly, Hannah, and Gretchen for the half pipe so we'll see how that goes for all of them.

FORT Fogey

I fell plushenko was overscored. Evan and the japanese overall really impressed me.
    theczech is the true underdog. Seriously johnny, do you need to spend all that time on designing a costume.

I really thing the skating organization should rethink the scoring. Artistry gotta count for something

+ Reply to Thread