+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 112 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3830625;
    I am glad the older Chinese pair won. I was rooting for them and the Germans!
    My highlights so far:
    Apolo and J.R. getting the silver and bronze. I thought it was funny that the Koreans were skating so aggressively but Apolo held on but the second they made moves on each other, they just couldn't handle it.
    I also loved seeing Seth Wescott win! That was a fun race!

My heart goes out to Canada. This is kind of turning into an embarrassment! I hope things turn around soon!
    Embarrassment? Care to specify? Medals? Weather? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3830163;
    As a side note I felt that many of the pair teams did not connect very well with the music. In fact watching at least 2 of the Chinese pairs I was bored, the tricks they were doing had nothing to do with the music at all as opposed to when the Russian team came out. Part of figure skating is the performance aspect. This is one reason why I perfer the ice dancing.
    I'm glad you said this because I was thinking it was just me...that there was a feeling of disconnect with the music and the performances. I was very unhappy with the majority of the performances last night, and I'm tired of watching skaters attempt jumps that they cannot execute with any consistency. It is unreasonable for most skaters to include moves that a very few exceptionally athletic skaters can execute. The number of falls last night was disheartening. Can't blame the Zamboni for that.

As for the judging...it has always been a bone of contention for me (more so now that I have a skater in the family) because a lot of it is still ambiguous, for lack of a better word. I looked at the scoring on the official website and there's still plenty of leeway for the judges to pick favourites and give the edge to current champions. It's definitely not just about the technicalities in the elements. The German pair sucked as bad as many of the others but still eked out a medal, doubtless because they are reigning world champs.

Having said all that...the Chinese pairs executed their programs and fully deserved their spots on the podium. Very well done.

Um, why should Canadians be embarrassed? Are you referring to the "glitches" or the medal standings? If it's the problems the international press are claiming...well, sorry for the crappy weather but it could happen anywhere. The poor luger who died...incredibly tragic but it's a high-risk sport and the circumstances were impossible to foresee. If it's the medal standings - Canada is without doubt going to medal in both men's and women's hockey, and we have many other athletes that we are incredibly proud of and that have an excellent chance at medals.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Canada just got a 2nd gold medal, and is in 4th place overall with 5 medals total. US is in 1st with 8 medals. I don't think Canada is doing so bad at all. Certainly not an embarrassment.

What is there to be embarrassed about? I don't understand.

We can't control the weather so snow conditions suck but I think organizers are doing a pretty good job.

The luge track, that was a terrible accident that may have been avoided, but it is a dangerous sport and I think all lugers know the risk.

Medal standings? It's day 5...don't worry about us. We are proud of our athletes even if they don't don't win medals.

Congrats to Maelle Ricker - Gold in the Women's Snowboard Cross!

Men's Short is on right now... anxiously awaiting Plushenko (skating 10th), Chen (skating 24th)... interested to see Weir (skating 25th) and Lysacek (skating 28th). However, I don't know if I can stay awake that long

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CantinaBandFan;3830819;
    We are proud of our athletes even if they don't don't win medals.
    Thank you for saying this! Go Canada!

I was really disheartened by a comment Matt Lauer made about Seth Wescott this morning regarding his two gold medals in 2006 and 2010. He said "we hitched our wagon to him back in 2006, and he's never disappointed us." I just thought it was sad to think that he even had the right to say that. Matt, nor any other American, should be disappointed if he doesn't win gold. We didn't train countless hours or endure personal sacrifice in his quest to become an Olympian. I applaud the athletes for the level of accomplishment they've achieved, as it's truly amazing.

But, I guess that's America. Win a gold, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;3830863;
    But, I guess that's America. Win a gold, or else.
    That's the American media, at least. Frankly, I'm a bit bored with the American-centric coverage. As if there aren't any interesting stories/sports that don't involve Americans. I also can't STAND Bob Costas and his smirky smart ass routine. I can't believe I actually miss Jim Lampley.

I have my favorites - not always Americans, btw - but I'm excited for all of the athletes, not just the ones who get medals. I think it's nice when an American wins a medal, but it doesn't have anything to do with "us" as a country - we don't and shouldn't have ownership of it. Its just like when my favorite sports team wins the championship - I'm happy they won, but "we" doesn't enter into it! All I did was sit on my lazy butt on the couch and watch!

I'm excited to see the men's short program tonight, although I'm actually most looking forward to ice dancing. For the men's event, I hope they just all skate their best, although I'd prefer to see someone other than Plushenko win - I've just never been a fan.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think all the athletes are amazing.......just to be at the Olympics is quite an achievement. I love how excited the athletes are to do their very best and to be able to take home a medal for their hard work, no matter the country. I think Canada has done a wonderful job as a host and as competitors, I'm thrilled to be Canadian!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3830954;
    I have my favorites - not always Americans, btw - but I'm excited for all of the athletes, not just the ones who get medals. I think it's nice when an American wins a medal, but it doesn't have anything to do with "us" as a country - we don't and shouldn't have ownership of it. Its just like when my favorite sports team wins the championship - I'm happy they won, but "we" doesn't enter into it! All I did was sit on my lazy butt on the couch and watch!
    Bob Costas does your coverage? My sympathies.

I'm borderline traitorous when it comes to men's hockey, because I am a big fan of Alex Ovechkin. I'm gonna be mighty conflicted when it's Canada-Russia. I look forward to Ovechkin putting on a helluva show.

However, I'm with you, Crit - I like to watch an outstanding athletic performance more than anything. At the same time, I'm very supportive of our amateur athletes - they do what they do for pure love of their sport. I don't know the situation in other countries, but here amateur athletics are expensive and require so much drive & determination, and the participants get very little in terms of financial support and recognition.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3830954;
    I'm excited to see the men's short program tonight, although I'm actually most looking forward to ice dancing. For the men's event, I hope they just all skate their best, although I'd prefer to see someone other than Plushenko win - I've just never been a fan.
    Oooh, Takahashi's routine was just AMAZING! (But the boy needs to lose the sideburns. ) Definitely can give Plushenko a run for his money.. loved it!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread