+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 112 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I completely miss the pairs skating of old. I was watching the last couple of nights and was fairly bored with all... even Shen/Zhao in all of their perfection. Am I remembering things incorrectly? Seems like in the past there were more jumps, more creativity, more excitement.

This year I've actually been watching more of the sports that I've ignored in the past.. like Moguls, the Biathlon, Snowboard Cross, and Nordic Combined. How fun are those?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Loved the downhill and the snowboarding last night. Didn't have enough patience to sit through the pairs figure skating though it's on in the background right now. (I'm replaying last night's events for the kids.) ETA - just saw the final half of the Chinese pair's performance--thought they were great--they nailed their throws and landings!

So happy for Bode and am amazed at how close the top 3 times were. Try explaining that it wasn't really a bad finish to a 6-year-old who was bummed at his coming in 3rd.

Also proud of Seth Wescott who proved you never fail to keep trying in his last place to first place finish. Talk about a comeback! The kids went nuts when they saw him pull it out.

Can't wait to see what's on tap for today.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 02-16-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3830158;
    The female skating annoucer had mentioned this story. Her comments were that Japan does not have a very strong program for pairs skaters and that if this girl wanted to compete she probably needed to move to another country. Pairs skating is very different than singles as you do need a partner that you can work with and has a very good skill set. No one said anything about when the French National Pairs Champions split and his new partner is a Canadian living in Britain. I do know that some Japanese consider Kavaguti a traitor to their country but she made some tough choices to pursue her dreams. Isn't that what the Olympics is about?

What about Tanith Belbin, no one screamed traitor or act of desperation when she got her American citizenship for she could compete and medal in the previous winter Olympics??
    I agree with you. Pairs and Ice Dancing both have several couples that have changed countries in order to compete. I wasn't sure why they were putting such a spotlight on Kavaguti's decision. I remember an American/Russian ice dancing pair some years ago, Roca and Sur, that had good success together. At that time, it was tough to find U.S. male ice dancers, so the skaters started looking to other countries to find partners. They tried to qualify for the Olympics, but his citizenship didn't come through in time.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I understand why the skaters prefer this new scoring system, they can see exactly where their marks are, but I agree that it makes the whole thing kind of boring now. I even find myself counting rotations instead of being captivated in the beauty of it, because I know that is how it will be scored, the rotations (or jumps, etc), not the performance.

Canada won a squeaker against Norway in the first men's curling game. What a nail biter! The Norwegians came back from a 5-1 deficit to pull it back and force an extra end. And their pants are a thing of wonder I think they deserve a gold medal for the pants alone (I kid )

I loved watching the skating pairs last night!!
    And then I especially loved Dick Buttons' comments afterwards to Bob Costas. What a nice man he is. He's such a contrast to Sandra!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I am glad the older Chinese pair won. I was rooting for them and the Germans!
    My highlights so far:
    Apolo and J.R. getting the silver and bronze. I thought it was funny that the Koreans were skating so aggressively but Apolo held on but the second they made moves on each other, they just couldn't handle it.
    I also loved seeing Seth Wescott win! That was a fun race!

My heart goes out to Canada. This is kind of turning into an embarrassment! I hope things turn around soon!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3830596;
    Canada won a squeaker against Norway in the first men's curling game. What a nail biter! The Norwegians came back from a 5-1 deficit to pull it back and force an extra end. And their pants are a thing of wonder I think they deserve a gold medal for the pants alone (I kid )
    Omg, those pants! I missed the end of the game but got to see the 3 blank ends during my lunch hour (snore). Glad to see they pulled out the win. I hope the women are successful this afternoon--their first game against Switzerland will be a real test for them!

Actually, I was overwhelmed by curling on tv at lunch...the Canada/Norway game on CTV and the British/Sweden game on TSN. I LOVE curling and had a hard time deciding which channel to watch!
    Don't let the small things sweat

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3830625;
    My heart goes out to Canada. This is kind of turning into an embarrassment! I hope things turn around soon!
    It's still early! The announcers have said that our best events come in the last 4-5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3830239;
    This year I've actually been watching more of the sports that I've ignored in the past.. like Moguls, the Biathlon, Snowboard Cross, and Nordic Combined. How fun are those?
    Me too, Broadway! I'm loving the Moguls, Snowboard Cross, Biathlon and can't wait for Freestyle Skiing. These are all events I never really watched before.

+ Reply to Thread