+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 112 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: The Olympic Games

Has the single ice skating been shown yet? I don't want to miss it.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3829224;
    Nope, not yet. Just pairs right now.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3829186;
    Question to the Canadians: How much did the media hype up Jenn Heil? I got the impression that she was the equivalent to our Lindsay Vonn, who is getting hyped up like there's no tomorrow.
    Jenn Heil was hyped a lot, way more than Alexandre Bilodeau was hyped.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3829224;
    Mens short program is Tuesday night and the long program is Thursday. The women skate late next week.

They just did a replay of Bode Miller's race and his getting the bronze medal. Mary Carillo said that there was less than a second separating all 3 medalists in that Alpine event and it was the closest ever.

Congrats to Canada on the gold medal for Alexandre Bilodeau!

Did anyone watch the pairs ice skating? I thought the Chinese couple that got the silver should have won but I guess they messed up in their short program and I missed those.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Hooray for Shen/Zhao! Pang/Tong did better in the free skate program, but Shen/Zhao's short program was pure perfection and was what gave them that cushion. Even with their minor mistake in the lift, they still pulled through with their previous scores. I still think they deserved it. It couldn't have happened to two better people with a lovely story. Loved their late reaction to winning.

And let's talk about the Russians! I can officially say that I witnessed the day when the former USSR/Russian streak ended. And not only did it end, they didn't even medal! Like they say, the only performance that matters is the final one, and I'm afraid to say that they didn't pull it off. People upthread have said bad things about Dale Begg-Smith "betraying" Canada, but at least he lived in Australia and had a dual citizenship. The story of Kavaguti (of the Russian pair, Kavaguti/Smirnov) spoke of more desperation, to me at least. I can understand chasing a dream, which is admirable of some sorts. But what she has done is a little extreme IMO. Sending a fax to the legendary coach Tamara Moskvina, then leaving her life behind in her native Japan for an all-new life in Russia and changing her name for it. Well, I don't know, I've only heard a portion of the whole story through the NBC commentary, but I still think it's a little desperate.

And lastly, yay for the American victories! Seth Wescott got the gold in Men's Snowboard Cross, and Bode Miller got the bronze in a very close race in Men's Downhill. Too bad for Nate Holland though, who just missed out on the medals.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3830093;
    Hooray for Shen/Zhao! Pang/Tong did better in the free skate program, but Shen/Zhao's short program was pure perfection and was what gave them that cushion. Even with their minor mistake in the lift, they still pulled through with their previous scores. I still think they deserved it. It couldn't have happened to two better people with a lovely story. Loved their late reaction to winning.

Their reaction was classic. It was like they were listening to someone elses scores and waiting on theirs. Their short program was just beautiful and I am glad they got the gold. They deserved it.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3830093;

And let's talk about the Russians! I can officially say that I witnessed the day when the former USSR/Russian streak ended. And not only did it end, they didn't even medal! Like they say, the only performance that matters is the final one, and I'm afraid to say that they didn't pull it off. People upthread have said bad things about Dale Begg-Smith "betraying" Canada, but at least he lived in Australia and had a dual citizenship. The story of Kavaguti (of the Russian pair, Kavaguti/Smirnov) spoke of more desperation, to me at least. I can understand chasing a dream, which is admirable of some sorts. But what she has done is a little extreme IMO. Sending a fax to the legendary coach Tamara Moskvina, then leaving her life behind in her native Japan for an all-new life in Russia and changing her name for it. Well, I don't know, I've only heard a portion of the whole story through the NBC commentary, but I still think it's a little desperate.

And lastly, yay for the American victories! Seth Wescott got the gold in Men's Snowboard Cross, and Bode Miller got the bronze in a very close race in Men's Downhill. Too bad for Nate Holland though, who just missed out on the medals.
    The female skating annoucer had mentioned this story. Her comments were that Japan does not have a very strong program for pairs skaters and that if this girl wanted to compete she probably needed to move to another country. Pairs skating is very different than singles as you do need a partner that you can work with and has a very good skill set. No one said anything about when the French National Pairs Champions split and his new partner is a Canadian living in Britain. I do know that some Japanese consider Kavaguti a traitor to their country but she made some tough choices to pursue her dreams. Isn't that what the Olympics is about?

What about Tanith Belbin, no one screamed traitor or act of desperation when she got her American citizenship for she could compete and medal in the previous winter Olympics??
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

As a side note I felt that many of the pair teams did not connect very well with the music. In fact watching at least 2 of the Chinese pairs I was bored, the tricks they were doing had nothing to do with the music at all as opposed to when the Russian team came out. Part of figure skating is the performance aspect. This is one reason why I perfer the ice dancing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

i am extremely happy for the chinese pair that won. They were 3rd twice at the olympic.

I think the problem with the new scoring system, it is all about technique and jumps , no longer much about performance (which explains why flatt won the US women title).

I gotta feel bad for Kavaguti but at least they gave the best showing compare to the 100% russians team.

+ Reply to Thread