+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 112 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

So far I am enjoying my Olympic experience! Loved the Ladies Moguls last night and am extremely proud of Jennifer Heil. Great showing by the American women taking the Gold & Bronze. How cute was Shannon Bahrke - she was so excited to win.

I was also glued to my TV for the Men's 1500m Short Track. Apolo is just amazing to watch! I was hoping Oliver Jean would have pulled off a medal but congrats to Charles Hamelin for winning the B Group.

Today - I am anxiously awaiting the Ladies Speed Skating (3000m) - the Canadian Ladies should be up soon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3827204;
    I have nothing against The Govenor General, Michaelle Jean, but why is she getting all that camera time and hardly any for PM Harper?
    I thought the commentators said she was actually the higher ranking government official, and that's why she was opening the games.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;3828355;
    I thought the commentators said she was actually the higher ranking government official, and that's why she was opening the games.
    Michaelle Jean is the Governor General, which is the Queen's representative. The Governor General is appointed by the Monarch (in this case Queen Elizabeth II), it is not an elected position, and is a nonpartisan role. The Governor General usually handles ceremonial and cultural duties such as opening the games, and some political duites such as summoning parliment, throne speeches etc. It's a pretty comprehensive, and busy, position.

Stephen Harper is the elected Prime Minister of Canada, quite a different role. It's similar with the US President, Barack Obama.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3828369;
    Michaelle Jean is the Governor General, which is the Queen's representative. The Governor General is appointed by the Monarch (in this case Queen Elizabeth II), it is not an elected position, and is a nonpartisan role. The Governor General usually handles ceremonial and cultural duties such as opening the games, and some political duites such as summoning parliment, throne speeches etc. It's a pretty comprehensive, and busy, position.

Stephen Harper is the elected Prime Minister of Canada, quite a different role. It's similar with the US President, Barack Obama.
    Good explanation. In short, the Queen (represented by Jean) is the Head of State while Harper is the Head of Government. That's a distinction the doesn't exist in the US, but is common in parliamentary system with a limited monarchy.

Sorry, I'm a Anglophile so when a question like this crosses my path, I just start blabbing. Wait, there's more.

A Head of State represents the nation and the people. A Head of Government represents the current government. So, ceremonial occasions fall to the Queen (and her representative) while political negotiations, domestic and foreign relations are the responsibility of the PM.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 02-14-2010 at 07:46 PM.

I'm watching the Olympics right now, and I've been enjoying every single event so far--except the Luge. Nodar's death aside, I don't find it that interesting to watch, partly because I don't really have anyone to root for.

Anyway, it was awesome seeing Johnny Spillane win the first medal for the US in the Nordic combined. I already knew he would, since I accidentally landed upon a story covering the breakthrough. It angered me a bit, but whatever, I still enjoyed the race.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3828614;
    I'm watching the Olympics right now, and I've been enjoying every single event so far--except the Luge. Nodar's death aside, I don't find it that interesting to watch, partly because I don't really have anyone to root for.
    Gotta say though, those folks running that course days after the tragedy have a special brand of courage. Hats off to them, and Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3827921;
    kd was definitely NOT synched. You can't sing a song like that, the way she did, with synchs. I don't think Sarah M was synched. O Canada wasn't , but the fiddles etc., had to be.
    Thanks.
    kd was just amazing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3828617;
    Gotta say though, those folks running that course days after the tragedy have a special brand of courage. Hats off to them, and Godspeed.
    Oh of course, totally agree with that. Oh gosh, I would be so shaken after seeing a fellow competitor die in such a tragic way. Unfortunately, from a viewing aspect, it's just not my cup of tea. But I know they put a lot of work into the sport, and it's kind of amazing how much time and effort these athletes put into it.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Canada won it's first gold medal on home ground in Men's moguls, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy: Alexandre Bilodeau. His brother has cerebral palsy and is his inspiration. I gotta admit I teared up a bit when I saw how excited he and the rest of the family was.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3828655;
    Canada won it's first gold medal on home ground in Men's moguls, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy: Alexandre Bilodeau. His brother has cerebral palsy and is his inspiration. I gotta admit I teared up a bit when I saw how excited he and the rest of the family was.
    The Sweetpea household was on it's feet and screaming and jumping up and down! It was soooo exciting, and I also teared up seeing his brother and family in the stands, so obviously thrilled. Heck, all of Canada is thrilled!!

+ Reply to Thread