+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3828085;
    I was looking for Canada vs Slovakia, TSN started coverage of Women's Hockey after the game was over. I was watching speed skating on TSN while the hockey was on and searched for it constantly. After speed skating they announced the final score of the hockey game, and started showing the repeat. What I'm missing this time around, is while watching coverage of one sport, they used to show what was going on somewhere else. For eg. they would have shown the last minute or so of that women's hockey game while covering speed skating.

Regardless, so much coverage, which is fabulous!!

Thanks all for the links to the schedules!
    Rogers Sports Net had the full Women's Hockey Canada vs Slovakia yesterday, it was a great game.

What I noticed was all these channels like Rogers Sports Net and TSN and some others are all free during the Olympics. I don't subscribe to them, so I didn't expect them to work for me, but I checked and they all do. It's great.

Also, for Canadians who want an event and a TV schedule, try this, it's the best I have seen. It has the results as well, just click on the events.

CTV Olympics | Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games | Athletes & Team News, Videos, Photos | Results and Schedules, Medals, TV and Online Listings

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3827937;
    The way Apolo passes is amazing. I have only seen the qualifying heats here in the west where the tv networks think we need to see events on delay but I loved seeing him come from the back in his heat and smoke the rest.

The women's moguls look great too.

Do any of you know how I could find the events online live? East coast feed or something? PM me if you have some info. This prime time stuff drives me crazy especially since I can see the results online.

Most of my beloved curling events will show when I am at work or from midnight to 3 AM on MSNBC ...yikes.
    Try this. On the right hand side of the page, you can choose the Country.

Olympic Schedule, Results and Events : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3827932;
    Anyone watch the short track with Apolo? Who knew that could be such a nail biter I guess it was meant to be for him, but too bad for the two Koreans. They were both going to place, had the one not tried to pass the other, it would have been a sweep for their country. Also just got done watching the women's mogul. Another nail biter. I give these athletes all the credit in the world. I have such a low tolerance for pain, I could never imagine enduring and having to compete with some of the injuries these guys get. I'm also confused with the scheduling but trying to keep track. Mainly I want to catch more of the ski and snowboarding events, and some of the skating. Personally, I'm not crazy how NBC packages the Olympics.

I wonder what's worse, winter or summer events, for the injury count?
    I was watching mogols last night thinking how bad my knees hurt sometimes and I've never skied adn just about every skiier they said had had at least 1 surgery and that American woman had had SIX!!! 3 on each knee.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just watched the repeat of Canadian Jennifer Heil win her silver medal, greeted by PM Stephen Harper, who came out of the stands to congratulate her. I'm such a cry baby!

I'm so happy for all the winners of medals, and so sad for the ones who don't win.

mrd, I can't imagine the pain! I just saw a short special on Bryce Davison and partner Jessica Dubé, Canadian skating pairs. He slashed her face with his skate in 2007. 80 stitches and 7 weeks later, she was back on the ice.

I'm looking forward to Ladies 3000 meters.

Cindy Klassen -At the 2006 Olympic Games in Torino she became the first Canadian to win five medals at a single Winter Olympic Games

Clara Hughes -She is the first Canadian to win medals at both the Olympic Summer and Winter Games, Cycling and Speed Skating. In Turin she won a gold medal in the 500m and a silver medal in the teams pursuit in speed skating.

I thought it would be nice to share info about athletes that we are rooting for, and learn something about athletes we are not familiar with.

Both Cindy and Clara are from my hometown. As a result they are very well-known names to me and my city and province are very proud of them. Thank you for mentioning them, GuardianAngel. Female athletes don't get enough recognition, period. I heard that the speed skaters are something like four times faster than the fastest NHL player, which is crazy. These women are amazing, dedicated athletes. I'm looking forward to seeing the 3000 m race as well.

Of course I'm happy about Canada's hockey victory but I'm hopping on the mercy rule bandwagon...the goaltender from Slovakia may have let 18 through but she also had 49 saves, which is both mentally & physically draining beyond reason, even for the Olympics. This is amateur competition so there's no reason to rack up as many points - stats are not significant, every team member gets the same gold medal and there's no bonuses or individual accolades like you get in pro sports.

My older daughter is a figure skater, and Dube's injury was enough for me to forbid her from ever skating pairs. The female partner takes the lion's share of the risk.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

You know, I'd rather watch the video of that poor luger 100 times than see the footage of JR Celski bleeding all over the ice at the Olympic trials. I think the commentator called the video "gruesome" and he was right. The luge video is awful, but I was grateful that the camera was pointed up the track rather than down it so we didn't see as much. I'm still traumatized by the video of Greg Louganis hitting the springboard all those years ago. They played that video over and over and over. I only saw it once and that was enough.

I'm with you on the mercy rule, AJane That 18-0 game between Canada and Slovakia in women's hockey was painful to watch. I tuned in when it was 7-0 and I thought the game was almost over - it was the first period. I know that when I played softball as a kid, if a team was 16 points ahead, they would end the game. I'm sure the Slovaks didn't expect to win, but that was a mauling.

I'm excited for the start of figure skating, even though the only team I've even heard of is the Chinese team. I think I'm actually looking forward to ice dancing the most, although the men's competition looks like it's going to be good. If someone would just cut Plushenko's Prince Valiant mullet....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Regarding the Canada vs Slovakia women's hockey game, there really wasn't much they could do about it. If the Canadian women slacked off, that hurts them. I'm not talking about stats, but about game play. They have to play every game the same, they have to keep good habits strong, they cannot afford to stop doing that, especially not at the Olympics. Plus, can you imagine how the Slovakian women would have felt? They came to play their best, if they felt that the opposing team was going easy because they felt sorry for them, I'm sure they wouldn't have appreciated it at all. The Olympic committee couldn't end the game, that would create a bad precedent. The Slovakians couldn't forfeit the game, they wanted to play, they wanted to compete, and they were proud to finish that game, even though they lost, which was evident by how they never gave up, they kept pushing until the end.

The Slovakian goalie did a fantastic job, and everyone knows it, it was just that they don't have the same pool of players to pull from, so their overall team wasn't as strong as the Canadians, who have such a deeper pool to pull from. It was a lop-sided game before it ever started. One of the top ranked teams against one of the bottom ranked teams. If anything is to blame, its the pairing of teams.

In Sept/08 there was an Olympic qualifying womens hockey game, Slovakia 82 Bulgaria 0

Slovakia, which also beat Croatia, Latvia and Italy, advanced to another qualifying group with Germany, Kazakhstan and France. The winner will secure a spot at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

I agree, there should be a pre determined number of goals, then the game should be over. On the other hand, I'm so against shoot outs after a tie game.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I read that the Olympic committee had decided to take baseball and softball out of the 2012 games because there's not enough international interest, and the same countries dominate. This was in reference to an article I read about Canada's blow out of Slovakia and whether women's hockey has the interest because you see the same countries do well every single time. If I were on the team that was getting my butt kicked, I don't know if I'd want some mercy rule to come in and end the game when you know you aren't going to win I guess I'd rather just suck it up and finish. The article I read mentioned that Slovakia beat Bulgaria in a hockey competition 82-0 just a year or so ago, so not to feel too sorry for them

Oh Ohno! Nail biter indeed! Apolo is an amazing athelete and dancer! Speed skating has taken on a whole new meaning for me watching him and how he starts in the back moving his way forward . . . not quite the finish he wanted but he got the Silver which now gives him 6 medals. The Bronze winner J.R. Celski has his own amazing story being severely injured in a skating accident only 6 months ago yet coming in 3rd place for the Bronze!

Apolo has 3 more events to compete in, I am looking forward to it!
    Apolo is such a natural. He just looks so graceful out there, despite all the pressure he's under and the intensity of the competition. I think he was feeling it last night as the Koreans were in the lead and he couldn't seem to get around them. But even in victory, he looked like he was on a practice run. Here's to many more medals for him and maybe making Winter Olympic history. He almost got DQ in his second heat by putting his hands on the Korean skater. J.R. also has such an amazing story. But I'm not big on replaying those graphic images, either of the Georgian luge competitor in his fatal practice run or of J.R. getting injured on the track. I think they can tell the story easily enough without having to add the graphic images. I saw a news clip of that poor man's family back in Georgia. They obviously hadn't seen the clip and have no intention, but how easy is it for them to accidentally catch a glimpse if it's playing on TV somewhere?

I can't wait for the pairs figure skating tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3828090;
    Try this. On the right hand side of the page, you can choose the Country.

Olympic Schedule, Results and Events : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics
    Thanks for the link - I think I have it figured out. I registered using my cable provider and am able to get whatever live event NBC is showing. So I think I can get some of the events I would like to see at a time when I am home and awake

I just watched the video

cantstopwatchin, I am a FORT spoiler lover - being on the west coast - but what I don't like is waiting to watch the events, especially since I am in the same time zone as the Olympic events! I may not be normal, but I kind of like knowing what happens before I watch. Helps me brace myself for defeat or get ready for the excitement of it all! My family thinks I am nuts, but once in a while they make me tell them the results before viewing!

+ Reply to Thread