+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 112 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by daddyzgirl;3827519;
    I did not care for our national anthem either... it's such a beautiful song and I felt it was oversung. She has a beautiful voice but it was just a bit too much.

If I was in the audience, there would have been no way I could have sung along with her rendition and that would have been disappointing for me.
    Good point. Sorta put a muzzle on the audience. A big crowd singing O Canada is something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3827530;
    IA - I wish they wouldn't show it. They had a picture of the medics giving him CPR on the msnbc homepage, so that was the first thing I saw when I signed on yesterday. That was before it was announced that he'd died and then they changed it.

I do have to say, though, that NBC did give a warning before they showed the images and video last night. We immediately paused our DVR and then fast-forwarded by it a few minutes later so the kids never saw it. My DH watched it just a little while ago but I couldn't. If anything, I hope they will learn from this tragedy and will make future tracks safer.

I felt so horrible for the Georgians, esp. since there was only 8 of them on the team--they must've all been close. Watching them walk during the parage was so sad.

I wish to heck they'd given a warning where I live. I had managed to avoid pictures of this horrific accident on the Internet yesterday. Then, NBC goes ahead and slaps it up on our screens. I am going to write to them, as I think it was totally wrong to show that.

Glad I'm not the only one who had a problem with Nelly Furtado's shoes. I thought they were not only dangerous, but ugly, as well.
    Glad to see kd Laing doing such a beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's song. American Idol contestants, please take note: stop giving us your cra**y renditions of this song. Castro, I'm looking at you....
    Expected Gretzky to light the cauldron and was glad to see he did. What a shame to have a mallfunction, though, at such a time.While I do think the bar was set inordinantly high by Beijing, I think the intimate setting for this one perhaps fit in with the fact that there are far fewer entrants in the Winter than the summer. I loved that the aborigine / native peoples were able to appear - they sure have a lot of energy - but I could have done away with some of the singing. Didn't like the rendition of the national anthem by that woman. Would have preferred Bryan without Nelly, loved kd and Sarah.
    What i really liked about the ceremony was that it seemed to reflect a nation and what they are about / take pride in. That message was conveyed very well. It was kind of nice to see an opening ceremony, for a change, that did NOT look like an overproduced Hollywood, Disney like spectacle.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

So bummed that downhill skiing has been postponed 'til Monday. How is it that Vancouver is getting rain while we in the Southern states just got a bunch of snow??

And continuing with Nelly & Bryan -- did anyone else think that their song was 2 minutes too long?? It seemed like they were repeating their words and repeating and repeating...I love them both but I couldn't wait for that song to end.

Also, I was really surprised not to see both Michael J. Fox and Celine participating. I was hoping we'd see them...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Vancouver (the city) never sees much snow, but the mountains are never this warm. Last year, they got buried, and this year my mom says her daffodils are already up about 8 inches . I think it's weirder that Toronto has less snow than the South since we're usually buried at this point. It's like the weather isn't making it far enough north this year I didn't enjoy Nelly and Bryan much (so obviously lip synched), but I really loved kd lang. I bet Celine pops up at the closing (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3827726;
    Vancouver (the city) never sees much snow, but the mountains are never this warm. Last year, they got buried, and this year my mom says her daffodils are already up about 8 inches . I think it's weirder that Toronto has less snow than the South since we're usually buried at this point. It's like the weather isn't making it far enough north this year I didn't enjoy Nelly and Bryan much (so obviously lip synched), but I really loved kd lang. I bet Celine pops up at the closing (maybe).
    THanks. I thought that was lip synching - None of the others seemed so much like lip synching, as their duo did. Were the others lip synched, too? Sure didn't seem that way with kd. She was terrific, as always.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3827722;
    So bummed that downhill skiing has been postponed 'til Monday. How is it that Vancouver is getting rain while we in the Southern states just got a bunch of snow??

And continuing with Nelly & Bryan -- did anyone else think that their song was 2 minutes too long?? It seemed like they were repeating their words and repeating and repeating...I love them both but I couldn't wait for that song to end.

Also, I was really surprised not to see both Michael J. Fox and Celine participating. I was hoping we'd see them...
    It's a Jet Streeam thing. That and it's an El Nino year. Get lots of "Pineapple Expresses". Saw a Robin today. Sure sign Spring is here to stay.

All in all, I thought it was a pretty good show. Some random thoughts...
    kd lang can sure work a mic.
    Those four Totems were artistically boring.
    The whales were way cool. Makes one wonder how did alot of the stuff they did. I mean, the way they used the floor for so many images. Outstanding.
    The French singer. Boring.
    The Prairie kid. Zzzzzzzzzz.
    The NWT poem guy. Thumbs up.
    The Olympic Hymn, opera style. Zzzzzzzz.
    The alternative fiddlers. Thumbs up.
    John Furlong's speech. Thumbs up.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 02-13-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typos

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3827722;

Yes.
    I don't really blame the anthem singer for the way the anthem was sung - she's quite young (just turned 16) and I don't think the arrangement of the song was up to her in any way. I do wish they had kept the song traditional, how it was meant to be sung.
    Overall I enjoyed the Opening Ceremonies, particularly kd lang, the prairie scene and the whales.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3827646;
    Hockey?...that's GM Place (temporarily named Canada Hockey Place for the Games). This is BC Place, where the CFL (football) Lions play.
    sorry I think I had hockey on my mind

I've had the Olympics on all day! Its too bad the skiing is postponed. I thought women's hockey was going to be on? I'm confused with the scheduling. Where is everyone getting their schedules from?

This is the best listing I've found of events. From here you can click on any sport, any day and time--also get the TV coverage schedule.
    Results & Schedules | 2010 Winter Olympics | NBC Olympics
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

+ Reply to Thread