+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3827491;
    CTV also showed the footage and my husband and I both yelled at the TV. How rude and insensitive. I can only imagine how that would make his family and team mates feel. I have a daughter the exact same age The footage is all over the internet (I'm sure), so people can find it if they want to look at it. I hope they don't show it again.
    IA - I wish they wouldn't show it. They had a picture of the medics giving him CPR on the msnbc homepage, so that was the first thing I saw when I signed on yesterday. That was before it was announced that he'd died and then they changed it.

I do have to say, though, that NBC did give a warning before they showed the images and video last night. We immediately paused our DVR and then fast-forwarded by it a few minutes later so the kids never saw it. My DH watched it just a little while ago but I couldn't. If anything, I hope they will learn from this tragedy and will make future tracks safer.

I felt so horrible for the Georgians, esp. since there was only 8 of them on the team--they must've all been close. Watching them walk during the parage was so sad.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I loved the whales too! It's so cool what they can accomplish in an indoor venue, to make it seem like it's outdoors. The snow falling and all the white and lights were beautiful.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3827515;
    And at the risk of getting slayed,I didn't really like that rendition of O Canada
    I didn't either. I was listening and thinking, this isn't right, it should be the traditional version.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3827524;

Shortened Quote

'Course, gotta give a shout out to Team USA. Now just to figure out where to get one of their fisherman sweaters.

I love the Olympics...it really does bring the world together.
    Olympic wear has been so difficult to find in our area. We got the mitts, see my avi, back in October. They were available only at Zellers, and everytime they got some in, they sold out within a short time. It took 4 attempts to get the mitts. They carried a few things, track pants, sweat shirts, however the sizes were so strange, far to small, for eg a mens XL looked like a boys L. Very dissapointing. The good thing is one day I was in there just before Xmas and they had just received the childrens mitts. So cute! I picked up 3 pairs for my neice's children!

You might want to check Hudson's Bay online. HB Canada carry the Canadian Olympic wear so maybe HB USA carries it?

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3827276;
    Me too. You cannot compare it to the bejing but canada did well. I am not sure london can do better.
    I was expecting to see celine dion. We may see her at the closing
    Beijing spent something like 100 million on that OC, while this one cost something like 54 mil. Good job, considering...

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3827627;
    I didn't either. I was listening and thinking, this isn't right, it should be the traditional version.
    IA, if there was one thing I wasn't crazy about, it was that. That was not very good at all. It wasn't even the same tune as our national anthem.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 02-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3827334;
    I didn't think so, I've watched many hockey games in there.
    Hockey?...that's GM Place (temporarily named Canada Hockey Place for the Games). This is BC Place, where the CFL (football) Lions play.

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3827344;
    LOL The announcers totally missed them switch to a new torch a few minutes ago in the truck. They are talking about how it's lasting longer than normal.
    Ya, I noticed that too. Brian Williams is such an idiot. I can't stand that guy. He's the only thing that ruins my personal viewing experience. What a doofus. I was shouting at the TV when he was going on about how that torch Gretzky had must have been a "special" torch. NO, YOU IDIOT!!!! THEY SWITCHED IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3827345;
    What a wonderful ceremony other than the minor malfunction with the cauldron.

Wayne's on his way to the outdoor cauldron .
    Minor to us, perhaps, but I wonder how minor it was to Catriona Lemay Doan. It was her cauldron to light and as a result of the malfunction she was the only one of the four that missed out on that aspect. She kept smiling through it all though, with grace. Class act.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3827507;
    I was getting dinner ready for our extended family viewing party, so missed the beginning...and now I'm glad I did. It was so nice to see the standing ovation when the Georgian team walked in...and the moment of silence was touching.

They have had to cancel the men's downhill this morning because of the weather. Ugh. Stupid mother nature...if they had held the games last year it would have been a different story. But then again when you think of Canada and winter, Vancouver doesn't really pop into your head first thing...pretty much the most temperate city in Canada besides Victoria. Oh well, it is supposed to get colder on Monday, so hopefully things will run more smoothly after this.

Oh, and what was up with Nelly Furtado's shoes...I was worried if she fell over she might take out Bryan Adams' eye with those things!
    And how. Reminded me of the ladies of the night that work the streets nearby.

+ Reply to Thread