+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 112 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I thought they did a wonderful job...I was so proud (even with the glitch at the end). My favourite parts were the prairies/clouds song with the young cirque du soleil guy and the performance by k d lang singing my favourite Leonard Cohen song...

The only disappointment? The fact that Steve Nash was chosen as one of the four torchbearers in the end. I wanted my fave, Trevor Linden, to have that honour. So disappointed. I guess he ran a leg yesterday somewhere in Vancouver, but I just think he would have resounded with the crowd there on a much greater level than Steve Nash, who is a great athlete, but he's a basketball player, not a winter athlete!!!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I had the same favorite parts that you did, sweatpea ...the visuals during the prairie section were absolutely beautiful and I have always loved that arrangement of Both Sides Now. k d lang ...fabulous.

I very much enjoyed the Opening Ceremonies ...well done, Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange;3827385;
    I very much enjoyed the Opening Ceremonies ...well done, Canada!
    ......I agree.

I wish NBC hadn't opened their broadcast with video footage of that young man losing his life. IMO that was not necessary.

On a more positive note, the ceremony was amazing....Let the games begin!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3827397;
    ......I agree.

I wish NBC hadn't opened their broadcast with video footage of that young man losing his life. IMO that was not necessary.

On a more positive note, the ceremony was amazing....Let the games begin!
    I agree, totally unnessecary and horrific to watch. they didn't need to show the accident or the EMT's giving him mouth to mouth. NO class.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

CTV also showed the footage and my husband and I both yelled at the TV. How rude and insensitive. I can only imagine how that would make his family and team mates feel. I have a daughter the exact same age The footage is all over the internet (I'm sure), so people can find it if they want to look at it. I hope they don't show it again.

I was getting dinner ready for our extended family viewing party, so missed the beginning...and now I'm glad I did. It was so nice to see the standing ovation when the Georgian team walked in...and the moment of silence was touching.

They have had to cancel the men's downhill this morning because of the weather. Ugh. Stupid mother nature...if they had held the games last year it would have been a different story. But then again when you think of Canada and winter, Vancouver doesn't really pop into your head first thing...pretty much the most temperate city in Canada besides Victoria. Oh well, it is supposed to get colder on Monday, so hopefully things will run more smoothly after this.

Oh, and what was up with Nelly Furtado's shoes...I was worried if she fell over she might take out Bryan Adams' eye with those things!

Yeah, Furtado's shoes were a thing of wonder And at the risk of getting slayed,I didn't really like that rendition of O Canada Other than that, I thought it was awesome. The whales were my favourite part!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3827515;
    And at the risk of getting slayed,I didn't really like that rendition of O Canada
    I did not care for our national anthem either... it's such a beautiful song and I felt it was oversung. She has a beautiful voice but it was just a bit too much.

If I was in the audience, there would have been no way I could have sung along with her rendition and that would have been disappointing for me.

Sidenote: I wonder if we can get a new tagline for the Sports forum - something that represents the current Olympics? Who can change it - anyone know?

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

What a beautiful ceremony--kudos to Canada for such a great production (to me, the malfunction with the flame meant little!).

There were so many beautiful aspects to the Opening Ceremonies-- I loved the intro about the country and its history, learning how Canadians helped stranded Americans on 9/11, and the absolutely breathtaking vistas of your gorgeous country. My favorite part of the O.C. was when the snowboarder started at the top of the mountain and made his way down as a list of host countries was read. It was so cool to watch him on the pristine mountain and as he made his way through the middle of the lighted leaf. I also loved the different scenes of Canada's history (with the whales being my favorite) and thought the punk violinists were awesome. Kd lang was amazing and definitely my favorite singer of the night. And very cool to see The Great One standing there, holding the final torch. [Sorry, didn't know the other Canadians but their stories were all interesting.] Love the outside cauldron and can't wait to see it lots over the next 2 weeks. Well done, Canada on a fantastic O.C.!!

'Course, gotta give a shout out to Team USA. Now just to figure out where to get one of their fisherman sweaters.

I love the Olympics...it really does bring the world together.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread