+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102103104105106107108109110111112
Results 1,111 to 1,117 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

There is talk now that Michael Phelps may be stripped of his medals. Apparently, there are strict Olympic rules that say that any commercial ads done by the athletes can not be released before a certain date. Michael did an ad for Louis Vuitton and someone leaked the ad early. He may loose his medals.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I thought that restriction was during the Olympics, though? And, if anything, you would think that showing Gabby Douglas on the Wheaties box during the Olympics would have been an issue if they were serious about enforcement of that although I do know the Olympians were careful about what they Tweeted because of it. And I really hope Michael does not lose his medals but the only upside I can think of is that is that if Michael loses them, he would probably compete in Rio and that would knock Ryan Lochte's ego down a few pegs which can only be a good thing at this point. I just got back from bumming around London and sadly not being able to scrounge as many tickets as I would have liked to in order to see a lot of events but it was great just to be in London anyway. And, glancing over the Olympics thread, I am surprised not to see a little more Phelpsian love from FoRTers . Maybe it was a little anti-climactic this time around, especially after the ?
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    I thought that restriction was during the Olympics, though? And, if anything, you would think that showing Gabby Douglas on the Wheaties box during the Olympics would have been an issue if they were serious about enforcement of that although I do know the Olympians were careful about what they Tweeted because of it. And I really hope Michael does not lose his medals but the only upside I can think of is that is that if Michael loses them, he would probably compete in Rio and that would knock Ryan Lochte's ego down a few pegs which can only be a good thing at this point. I just got back from bumming around London and sadly not being able to scrounge as many tickets as I would have liked to in order to see a lot of events but it was great just to be in London anyway. And, glancing over the Olympics thread, I am surprised not to see a little more Phelpsian love from FoRTers . Maybe it was a little anti-climactic this time around, especially after the ?
    The ads were leaked while the Olympics were still on. I think the first day the ads were allowed was Aug. 16. Michael's agent says there is no danger of him loosing the medals because the ads were leaked without the consent of Phelps. Other sources say it is a problem.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

CCL

There only allowed to be in ads for companies with Olympic sponsorships during the Olympic period; maybe Wheaties is an official Olympics sponsor? Louis Vuitton is not. There's no way he's going to lose his medals, however. It's a tempest in a teapot.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    The ads were leaked while the Olympics were still on. I think the first day the ads were allowed was Aug. 16. Michael's agent says there is no danger of him loosing the medals because the ads were leaked without the consent of Phelps. Other sources say it is a problem.
    I would think that if the ads were leaked without his permission that he ought not to be held responsible for it. Surely if he signed a contract, it could have stipulated the date by which the commercials were allowed to air to prevent just this sort of thing. If the company then violated that contract--or some third party got ahold of the ads and leaked the--I don't see how it could be considered Phelps' fault.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I was just reading about this: Phelps' agent: Leaked pics not an IOC violation - CenturyLink™

Here's a snippet (from Michael's agent Peter Carlisle)

"He didn't violate Rule 40, it's as simple as that," Carlisle said in a telephone interview. "All that matters is whether the athlete permitted that use. That's all he can control. In this case, Michael did not authorize that use. The images hadn't even been reviewed, much less approved. It's as simple as that. An athlete can't control unauthorized uses any more than you can guarantee someone isn't going to break into your house."
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Has anyone else been watching the re-reruns of the Olympics on NBC Sports Net? Tonight they did the women's team gymnastics final. On Monday, they aired hours and hours of coverage, but tonight it was maybe 4 hours. There's only an hour tomorrow afternoon. I think they're trying to wean us gradually!
    We watched the women's gymnastics, the women's swimming, men's swimming, and track & field. I really liked the hour-long specials b/c we were able to rewatch the races the kids missed and we didn't tape.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread