+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1161101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

That is really sad, just highlights. Gee talk about telling a group of people they aren't important enough. They don't need to have 24 hour coverage, but come on!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

That's despicable. These sports are hardcore! Hasn't anyone here seen Friday Night Lights, the scenes where Jason plays quad rugby?? Those guys are tough and skilled!!

Honestly I'm very disappointed.
    libgirl2 likes this.

It's not much but it's something!

The Canadian Paralympic Committee has announced that CTV will be providing coverage of the Canadian Paralympic Team as they battle the world's best for gold in London from August 29 to September 9.

For the first time, Canadians can watch four digital multiple streams of swimming, wheelchair basketball and athletic events during the 12 days of competition.

One channel will cover sports and will show “best of” coverage from each day of the Paralympic Games.

All of these digital channels can be accessed in English or French on their website. (paralympic.ca)

The Team Canada Today Newsletter will be available for download on the Canadian Paralympic Committee's websites each every day of the Games. The websites also feature a comprehensive video-on-demand section and a Paralympic news library online

Television coverage

Daily highlights will be broadcast from 10:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST that highlight the day’s events, such as medal winners, interviews with athletes and featured events. The complete Opening and Closing Ceremonies will be available on several networks such as RDS, RDS2, Sports One and TSN2.

CTV Canada announces Paralympics 2012 coverage - Toronto Disability | Examiner.com

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Has anyone heard any updates on the "missing" Olympians from Cameroon and from the Republic of Congo?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

It doesn't look like they've reappeared yet. Any Olympic athlete is allowed to stay in Britain until November, so I'm sure we'll hear something by then. It's not just Cameroon either: 'Missing' African Olympians may be after new life

One athlete - the flag bearer from Eritrea - has already come forward to seek asylum. Apparently, this isn't an unusual occurrence for the Olympics.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Consider where they come from, I am not surprised that they went "missing".
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I'm asking because I really don't know: are all countries equally concerned about athletes defecting? I know that in the past, it was always a big deal if Soviet or Soviet bloc athletes attempted to seek asylum, but they were often high profile cases, where a lot of people beyond the USSR/Eastern Europe knew who they were, and their countries were anxious that they not appear to be jumping ship to the capitalist west.

But are all countries just as concerned if their athletes try to seek asylum? And are Olympic host countries all that anxious to agree to granting asylum, for fear of how it might look to the rest of the world if they do? Or the kind of standard it might set in terms of greater numbers of athletes using the Olympics as an opportunity to defect and thus making them a more political event?

It seems like a potentially complicated situation, but we've heard very little about it.

CCL

I remember reading in the British press that they were prepared to expect a certain number of asylum seekers; as said above, it's pretty standard in such circumstances. The asylum seekers will still need to prove their cases, just like other refugees. I don't think Britain is concerned about ticking off any countries by accepting their athletes as asylum seekers. It's the poorer countries from which the seekers come now so they probably don't have the resources to complain anyways. And I don't think any of the athletes are high profile so they're not concerned about a "national treasure" being poached. It's not like the old days where the Soviets kept tight control over their citizens when they are abroad. The only athletes that I heard about having restrictions was the female athletes from Middle Eastern countries (having to be accompanied at all times, not being housed in quarters with unrelated men etc.).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Just finished watching the Rhythmic Gymnastics Team video. NBC only taped 39 minutes and instead of showing all 8 teams for a total of 80 minutes they showed only the top 4 scoring teams in rotation 1 and 2. You never saw the Ukraine, Israel and Bulgaria and Spain only doing one routine. Considering in some event recaps you don't see anything for the first 10 minutes or so and nothing for the last 20 minutes or so that just totally sucked.

The event replays are one way for me to catch up on the sports that I am interested in that are not that popular and it kinda sucks when you can't see it all.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Has anyone else been watching the re-reruns of the Olympics on NBC Sports Net? Tonight they did the women's team gymnastics final. On Monday, they aired hours and hours of coverage, but tonight it was maybe 4 hours. There's only an hour tomorrow afternoon. I think they're trying to wean us gradually!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread