+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

In 1980, fellow British Columbian and Canadian athlete Terry Fox, who had lost a leg to bone cancer, undertook the Marathon of Hope, intending to run across Canada from Newfoundland to Vancouver Island to raise awareness for cancer research. He made it from St. John's, Newfoundland, to Thunder Bay, Ontario, before a cancer recurrence forced him to stop, about two-thirds of the way through his journey. Inspired by Terry's courage, Hansen decided to undertake a similar journey for spinal cord injury research. But his planned path was far more ambitious: he planned to circle the world in his wheelchair.

He embarked on his Man in Motion World Tour on March 20, 1985 from Oakridge Mall in Vancouver. Although public attention was low at the beginning of the tour, he soon attracted international media attention as he progressed on a 26-month trek, logging over 40,000 km through 34 countries on four continents before crossing Canada. He returned to Vancouver's BC Place Stadium to cheering crowds of thousands on May 22, 1987 after raising $26 million for spinal cord research and quality of life initiatives. Like Terry Fox, he was hailed as a national hero. That was when he started his crossing of Canada.

Today, the wheelchair and many other items associated with the Man In Motion World Tour are preserved by the BC Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. The song "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" was written in his honor by fellow British Columbian David Foster and British musician John Parr and performed by Parr for the soundtrack of the film St. Elmo's Fire. It reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.

Full article:
    Rick Hansen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA: I talked to him a few times when I was jogging at UBC, and he would slow down in his chair before blowing by me

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3827303;
    Could you maybe enlighten a naive American on who Rick Hansen is ?
    He wheelchaired across Canada to raise money for cancer (I think)

Who's this french dude singing now?

I am seriously over the singing. can we bring in the torch now.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3827303;
    Could you maybe enlighten a naive American on who Rick Hansen is ?
    Here's a little bit about him. But there's a whole lot more on his achievements.

In 1980, fellow British Columbian and Canadian athlete Terry Fox, who had lost a leg to bone cancer, undertook the Marathon of Hope, intending to run across Canada from Newfoundland to Vancouver Island to raise awareness for cancer research. He made it from St. John's, Newfoundland, to Thunder Bay, Ontario, before a cancer recurrence forced him to stop, about two-thirds of the way through his journey. Inspired by Terry's courage, Hansen decided to undertake a similar journey for spinal cord injury research. But his planned path was far more ambitious: he planned to circle the world in his wheelchair.

He embarked on his Man in Motion World Tour on March 20, 1985 from Oakridge Mall in Vancouver. Although public attention was low at the beginning of the tour, he soon attracted international media attention as he progressed on a 26-month trek, logging over 40,000 km through 34 countries on four continents before crossing Canada. He returned to Vancouver's BC Place Stadium to cheering crowds of thousands on May 22, 1987 after raising $26 million for spinal cord research and quality of life initiatives. Like Terry Fox, he was hailed as a national hero. That was when he started his crossing of Canada.

Today, the wheelchair and many other items associated with the Man In Motion World Tour are preserved by the BC Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. The song "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" was written in his honor by fellow British Columbian David Foster and British musician John Parr and performed by Parr for the soundtrack of the film St. Elmo's Fire. It reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddler;3827310;
    Who's this french dude singing now?
    Garou is a French Canadian singer with Armenian roots, born as Pierre Garand on 26 June 1972 in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada.

Rick Hansen!

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Rick Hansen! Woot!

Oh, they are doing a few people in the stadium?

Looks like it!!!! Very good idea!

Its like the torch relay they did all across Canada!! Ohhhh I'm goooo hapy there he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread