+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95999100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    yup .That isn't far away & Costco has Halloween stuff out already !
    I got the Christmas catalog from LTD at the end of last month. It depressed me.

Unfortunately, before Christmas, Halloween, or the new TV season comes the Political Conventions. Oh joy.
    Every Olympic year they get us all happy & excited & then bring us crashing to the ground right after.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    They're 5 hours ahead of the east coast there, so the marathon started at, I think 11AM in London. I was up watching the men's marathon live around 3AM. They did air it again in the afternoon.
    Thanks, Critical. I watched Olympic coverage almost all afternoon, so I don't know how I missed the marathon! I'm glad to hear they aired it.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I got the Christmas catalog from LTD at the end of last month. It depressed me.

Unfortunately, before Christmas, Halloween, or the new TV season comes the Political Conventions. Oh joy.
    Every Olympic year they get us all happy & excited & then bring us crashing to the ground right after.
    I have the Sears winter catalogue It was out last week. They do love to rush us along.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    As I had said, I was pretty happy with Bravo's coverage of the tennis. I wish I could have seen CTV's coverage of the Olympics. I feel more ripped off Olympics after Olympics. I seem to remember seeing so much more years ago.
    I've been considering this. I believe it's because they show the other stuff on different channels. When I was younger that wasn't really an option, so they would show several things all at once, continuously moving quicker through the events. I don't know how you're supposed to watch all the different events if you don't have cable. As it was it was still difficult since you can only watch so many channels at the same time. Even with our DVR it's still only two at a time.

IMO they spend way too long on certain ones with too much talking. It's not like they're showing it live so why wait for gymnastics scores in real time? That's what editing is for, and we'd be able to see more events. And while I like to see replays of some things there were a few times they'd do a replay four times. Again, unnecessary IMO. I also hate the commentary during stuff like gymnastics pointing out every single flaw. It doesn't let us enjoy it, and they are going to do a replay anyhow. We can see if they make big mistakes on our own. If a low score pops up, then is the time on the replay to explain it all.

We have several USA and TNT shows to catch up on. We're very behind on some of them between vacation and now the Olympics.
    Last edited by justCoz; 08-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    ABC has always been better at covering sports than NBC will ever be, especially when Roone Arledge was in charge. I never missed an episode of Wide Worth of Sports and wish they'd get the chance to cover the Olympics again.

Since I don't watch Olympic tennis or basketball because I don't like the change that allowed professional athletes to complete, I remember the "Miracle On Ice," and we'll never see the likes of that again.

Thank goodness for DVR, though, because I do love my summer cable shows like Burn Notice, White Collar, Pysch, Royal Pains, Common Law, Suits, Breaking Bad, Longmire, Covert Affairs, Franklin and Bash, etc. I know there's not much discussion here on those shows, except for Breaking Bad, but all of them are my summer staples.
    I totally agree about the professional athlete thing. I don't watch a bunch of stuff like hockey anymore or especially basketball. The whole never seeing a group of hungry youngsters getting their chance to shine totally sucks the fun out of it and makes me kind shrug off the olympics in some ways.

Kind of the same way I shrug it off because of the power house countries who pour money into certain sports and the best technology for their athletes. It's just not as amusing to see them win as it is to see people from other less fortunate countries. Not that we would have seen those other countries anyhow with NBC's coverage. If I based my knowledge of the world on their coverage there are only about 3.5 countries: China, US and Jamaica (sometimes Russia) and one guy who lives in South Africa but you really wouldn't know where he was from if you weren't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    ABC has always been better at covering sports than NBC will ever be, especially when Roone Arledge was in charge. I never missed an episode of Wide Worth of Sports and wish they'd get the chance to cover the Olympics again.
    Definitely! ABC did a great job in 1984, the last year they had the rights.....and I'm not just saying that because the brother of a dear friend produced it!

I've been looking online for the unedited closing ceremony, but haven't found it yet. Bugs the crap out of me that they just decide what I get to see based on what they think Americans are interested in.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I've been considering this. I believe it's because they show the other stuff on different channels. When I was younger that wasn't really an option, so they would show several things all at once, continuously moving quicker through the events. I don't know how you're supposed to watch all the different events if you don't have cable. As it was it was still difficult since you can only watch so many channels at the same time. Even with our DVR it's still only two at a time.

IMO they spend way too long on certain ones with too much talking. It's not like they're showing it live so why wait for gymnastics scores in real time? That's what editing is for, and we'd be able to see more events. And while I like to see replays of some things there were a few times they'd do a replay four times. Again, unnecessary IMO. I also hate the commentary during stuff like gymnastics pointing out every single flaw. It doesn't let us enjoy it, and they are going to do a replay anyhow. We can see if they make big mistakes on our own. If a low score pops up, then is the time on the replay to explain it all.

We have several USA and TNT shows to catch up on. We're very behind on some of them between vacation and now the Olympics.
    One of the biggest complaints I have is the constant showing of volleyball in the first part of the prime time showing. And not just recaps or a little bit and then off to something else, but the whole game, all of the sets. I can't stay up til midnight watching olympics because I have to get up at 5 AM to go to work, and I don't have DVR, so I missed most of the stuff I really wanted to see. And I just got so sick of volley ball.

It seems that I saw more of the events when we only had the one channel to see it on, not spread out over several. Maybe my memory is faulty, but that's how I remember it.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been looking online for the unedited closing ceremony, but haven't found it yet. Bugs the crap out of me that they just decide what I get to see based on what they think Americans are interested in.
    Well this American was interested in Kate Bush, Ray Davies and The Who
    Critical likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I miss ABC's coverage of the Olympics. NBC sucks.
    ness likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I am sorry that so much was cut out :-( I should have posted here when the live feed started and you could have seen it all with minimal British commentary.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread