+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Did catch Mary Carillo say that for the first time ever every country participating in the London 2012 Olympics has female athletes.
    Critical and cantstopwatchin like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Even the USA Olympic Team had more female than male athletes on it this year.

What is really annoying on the recaps that NBC is showing on line are the stupid commercials every 15 seconds or so.

Can anybody tell me why Ryan Seacrest was there?
    Last I checked, he doesn't work for NBC and he's not exactly an athlete!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Annie Lennox AND Oasis at the closing ceremony? WIN.

I guess I should say Liam Gallagher and his new band rather than "Oasis." In the ongoing battle between the Gallagher brothers, it looks like Liam got custody of the Olympics.

Spice Girls? Meh. Madness? WTF? Ditto with Pet Shop Boys. Those last two, in particular, felt more like a VH1 "Where Are They Now?"special than a "Best Of British Music" list....and that's coming from someone who came of age in the 80's. I thought Russell Brand did a pretty good job with the Beatles and Jessi J was amazing. Love her voice.

Eric Idle! I'm going to be singing that song all week! Even Prince Harry was singing along!

ETA: Queen without Freddie = Still, Brian May is the most bad a$$ astrophysicist in the world!
    Last edited by Critical; 08-13-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought the sound was really poor for the singing. Sad.
    Not sure who thought it was a good idea to include Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, etc. in the closing.
    Britain has some terrific bands and can I remind them that the Stones are still performing after about 50 years. Would have preferred to see them instead of some of the others they chose.
    Am looking forward to seeing the Who.
    Have to say, though, this is not one of the better closing ceremonies.

I watched the live stream and am watching it again now! I loved seeing Queen, Take That, Annie Lennox. Monty Python, George Michael and the Spice Girls! To be frank there wasn't much I didn't like.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    He officially announced that his first competition will be Skate America. He did this Friday on the Today Show. He's also now living with Vera Wang, who's designed costumes for him in the past and has designed his 2012-2013 season costumes as well.

Johnny Weir says he's back in too. Sounds like Joanne Rochette of Canada may be too, likely because Canada's one obvious weakness in the new team competition would be in ladies. I think the team competition concept may be drawing a lot of former Olympians back to competition. Word is Plusheynko is training for a return too.
    Evan Lysacheck is living with Vera Wang?!! Seriously!! She's old enough to be Evan's mother. That has to be a mistake.

What in the world were the Americans wearing? They look like nurses or something from a different era. Instead of looking classic IMO it just looks weird. I've been quite disappointed in a lot of the clothing choices. The grey jackets were awful as mentioned previously, but also those orange/brown jackets. What were those about? The black jackets looked ok but last I checked our colors are red, white and blue.

While I like the look back at the highlights I wish they'd throw in a bit more, like the woman shooter who has medaled in the last 5 Olympics, getting the gold here and tying the Olympic record (at 99 out of 100). They mentioned her early on but I think it wouldn't hurt to mention her in their montage of the impressive feats by American women in these games. I wish I could remember her name. I used to be able to remember things better. That was about 25 years ago though! It's irritating thatI can remember stuff from 35 years ago like it was two days ago, but can't recall things from last week.

I liked the closing ceremony okay. I don't think I fast forwarded through as much of it as I did the opening ceremony so I suppose it means I liked it better

While I don't love all the choices in programming that NBC makes I will say I adore Bob Costas and his crew. They all seem to enjoy it, which makes me enjoy it more. Despite wearing suits they don't take themselves too seriously and I love that. I first noticed Mary C in Beijing and look forward to her parts. This time around I discovered the two daytime guys (again with the names!) They have fun but not too much. I even liked John McEnroe and Shaun White(?).

I wish Bob Costas didn't feel the need to talk through the closing ceremony in general.

I couldn't do anymore closing ceremony after a point. The sound was horrible for some of the singers. I notice Victoria Beckham still cannot crack a smile even while all the other spice girls seem happy.

And then it was just too much after a point for me. Like after an hour I had checked out and just wanted it all to be over.

Would have rather had the The Who do Pinball Wizard.

+ Reply to Thread