+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 112 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I love him. I dont care he showboats, he isnt the first - he wont be the last . Fastest man on the planet woo-hoo
    .Cant wait to vist jmacai and her my friends talk about him
    He is outstanding. I watched very little of the Olympics but I PVR'd his races. Arrogant, yes - not a trait I normally like or admire, but this time it's earned. The best ever, so far.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Great Britain has a (known) history going back thousands of years; the Opening Ceremony kicked things off in pastoral pre-industrial revolution times (age indeterminate - circa 18th century) and ignored everything preceding. So WW2 was not the only event passed over. That said, I know they can't include everything so..
    The Closing Cermony is usually more a free for all. From what I've heard, and as per above, there's going to be a lot of musical acts (Spice Girls, Jessie J, Russell Brand singing I am the Walrus (!?!) etc); it is supposed to be like an after-party if you will (someone likened the Opening Ceremony to a wedding with the Closing Ceremony being the party afterwards). I seem to recall Monty Python being mentioned but I don't know if that was supposition (something about Eric Idle and The Sunny Side of Life - I think that's a song? I don't really know anything about Monty Python). I saw a picture of mini London landmarks being offloaded (London Eye, the Gherkin building etc) as well.
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life! I can't wait to watch!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't know re Costas. On a similar tack, I do know there was uproar because NBC cut the music/dance tribute to the 7/7 victims in the Opening Ceremony and then made a comment about it not being relevant to the American audience or some such. The head of NBC was also commenting that the BBC was too jingoistic in its coverage and celebrated British athletes too much while NBC doesn't do that for Americans and focuses a lot on foreign athletes. Don't know that I'd agree with him based on the NBC coverage I've seen.
    Oh my gosh, I completely disagree with that statement. Seems the only time we see foreign athletes is if they are competing against Americans. I don't believe NBC used to cover it that way - at least that's not my recollection. It's been a lot of years and I was much younger.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life! I can't wait to watch!
    I do hope they do that song!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I've had quite enough of Usain Bolt, too. He is amazingly gifted, but publicly calling himself a legend, not once but several times, is not the way to celebrate. If you are a legend, you let other people proclaim it. I do admire him, but I felt the same way about his antics in Beijing. He reminds me more and more of certain NFL showoffs, like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson and Antonio Cromartie, and that is not a good thing. I compare it to the graciousness and sportsmanship showed by James Kirani in the men's 400m and so many of the other track athletes.

The men's platform diving was fantastic. Congratulations to all three medal winners for their outstanding performances.

I love the rhythmic gymnastics and sync swimming and for me their uniforms are just right. Those sports blend athleticism with grace and beauty and what they wear embraces that.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I've had quite enough of Usain Bolt, too. He is amazingly gifted, but publicly calling himself a legend, not once but several times, is not the way to celebrate. If you are a legend, you let other people proclaim it. I do admire him, but I felt the same way about his antics in Beijing. He reminds me more and more of certain NFL showoffs, like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson and Antonio Cromartie, and that is not a good thing. I compare it to the graciousness and sportsmanship showed by James Kirani in the men's 400m and so many of the other track athletes.

The men's platform diving was fantastic. Congratulations to all three medal winners for their outstanding performances.

I love the rhythmic gymnastics and sync swimming and for me their uniforms are just right. Those sports blend athleticism with grace and beauty and what they wear embraces that.
    I really liked the little skirts they were wearing this Olympics it actually makes their long legs look even longer.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

So all NBC has be doing for an hour is the highlights I don't need to see that when are the closing ceremony starting?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

the closing was live. it started at 4pm. It is over now. Don't worry you didn't miss much. it was a lot of too much.

Anyways, SEE YA IN RIO 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    So if Mackayla had cried on the medal stand that would have been more acceptable than making a face? I'm not being obstinate here--I'm just trying to understand your argument. I agree that perhaps because they are all young (the gymnasts, I mean), they need mentoring, but because they are young and they don't have mirrors in front of their faces to see what they look like or how people might interpret their expressions, I tend to cut them more slack than the older athletes with more experience competing in front of world audiences. I'm also a little annoyed that tears from some people, especially the younger female athletes, are considered acceptable outlets for frustration but limits are put on what kinds of expressions of frustration are okay, when different people express emotions differently. I hate public tears (not other people's--my own) and will do anything, including probably making faces that aren't entirely pleasant, to avoid them. Comes from having a sister who ranks movies by how many Kleenex she goes through while watching them--as a kid I hated having to sit next to her in a movie while she cried and cried.
    Honestly? YES. Crying is harder to misinterpret. Although, really, I don't think they should be crying on the podium either, unless they are happy tears, which frankly, they ALWAYS should be in that situation. They just won a medal in the Olympics. There are many others who trained just as hard, but didn't get a medal and would be thrilled with ANY color medal. Like I said above, I think there are situations where you need to be told to pull it together and put on a happy face. You can cry when you're in your room later. There's quite a bit of time between the end of an event and the medal ceremony. Plenty of time to cry a bit and then pull yourself together again. McKayla may have just been frustrated with herself, but it didn't come off that way - it looked like she was just pissed off about the whole situation. You can tell she knew she blew it - she keeps tweeting pictures of herself smiling now!

Funny that two of the medalists in the men's marathon have the same last name - Kiprotich - but are from different countries. Did the commentators say if they are related in some way? Amazing for 37 year old Meb Keflezighi to finish 4th (although I wish for him that it had been 3rd) in his final Olympics! The story about his family coming from Eritrea was incredible.

IIRC, the 1984 marathon ended in the Colosseum right before the Closing Ceremony, so we got to see him arrive in the stadium. For some reason, I don't remember seeing a medal ceremony though. There was an awful lot going on to look at and it was a while ago. I DO remember all the darned fireworks, which seemed to go on forever. Our seats were in a location that required us to turn our heads WAY to the left and up to see the fireworks. My neck was sore for days! They did a little fireworks vignette for every Olympics. By the time they got to Rome, we were over it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

ACtually they are reshowing it.

+ Reply to Thread