+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 112 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

CCL

Re: The Olympic Games

Bolt does showboat but he has a lot of "nice moments" -he makes time to interact with the volunteers even though he's just about to race, he stops his interviews to watch other athlete's medal ceremonies out of respect etc. And his showboating is full of humor -playing with the mascot, joking with the photographers. He is a legend -others know it, why not him? I like him, but that's me.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Just FYI: NBC will be live-streaming the closing ceremony today. (Woo-hoo!)

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Bolt does showboat but he has a lot of "nice moments" -he makes time to interact with the volunteers even though he's just about to race, he stops his interviews to watch other athlete's medal ceremonies out of respect etc. And his showboating is full of humor -playing with the mascot, joking with the photographers. He is a legend -others know it, why not him? I like him, but that's me.
    I love him. I dont care he showboats, he isnt the first - he wont be the last . Fastest man on the planet woo-hoo
    .Cant wait to vist jmacai and her my friends talk about him
    NBC will be live-streaming the closing ceremony today

time I hope, they ALL deserve it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Agreed. He's SO arrogant that it's unattractive. He's a great runner, but he's not the greatest Olympic athlete or anything.

My feeling is that, no matter what your emotions are, you suck it up and put on a happy face for the medal ceremony. I'm sure she wishes she had, since she's gotten all sorts of crap over that scowl. Crying is one thing. Scowling is another. She's not the only one who behaved badly in the gymnastics. Didn't Mustafina take her medal off and stuff it in her pocket? It seems to me that the adults in this situation are not teaching these girls how to lose. These are children, for the most part, and the coaches should be giving them a little education in how to behave when cameras are on them. It doesn't matter WHY she made that face, it's what it looked like. Who's to say that McKayla's little scowl didn't harm her endorsement opportunities? We like our America's Sweethearts to be perky and happy, no matter what. Like it or not, this stuff is big business right now and someone should be preparing these girls for that. Greg Louganis is serving as a mentor for the US divers and giving them advice about that stuff. I think the gymnasts could use a mentor like that also.

I'm watching the 10M platform prelims and am so sad for Matthew Mitcham, the 2008 gold medalist. He was in 13th position, which means he didn't even get to compete in the finals. I can't imagine how disappointed he must be.

ETA: They're interviewing Mo Farah right now. He could not be more adorable.
    So if Mackayla had cried on the medal stand that would have been more acceptable than making a face? I'm not being obstinate here--I'm just trying to understand your argument. I agree that perhaps because they are all young (the gymnasts, I mean), they need mentoring, but because they are young and they don't have mirrors in front of their faces to see what they look like or how people might interpret their expressions, I tend to cut them more slack than the older athletes with more experience competing in front of world audiences. I'm also a little annoyed that tears from some people, especially the younger female athletes, are considered acceptable outlets for frustration but limits are put on what kinds of expressions of frustration are okay, when different people express emotions differently. I hate public tears (not other people's--my own) and will do anything, including probably making faces that aren't entirely pleasant, to avoid them. Comes from having a sister who ranks movies by how many Kleenex she goes through while watching them--as a kid I hated having to sit next to her in a movie while she cried and cried.

FORT Fogey

I don't know re Costas. On a similar tack, I do know there was uproar because NBC cut the music/dance tribute to the 7/7 victims in the Opening Ceremony and then made a comment about it not being relevant to the American audience or some such. The head of NBC was also commenting that the BBC was too jingoistic in its coverage and celebrated British athletes too much while NBC doesn't do that for Americans and focuses a lot on foreign athletes. Don't know that I'd agree with him based on the NBC coverage I've seen.
    I know I'd completely disagree with that. Realistically, every country is likely to concentrate more on its own athletes and the sports with which its audience is most familiar. I will say, however, that watching BBC World News, I've seen some pretty unusual interviews that have nothing to do with British athletes. The other morning I saw an interview with the president of Bulgaria about the Olympic movement and sports culture in general in his country. I don't think I've ever seen NBC do anything like that. Or ABC before NBC, for that matter, though I did prefer the ABC/ESPN combination when it comes to covering sports.

FORT Fogey

Knowing it is one thing. Announcing it is another. Some of his showboating is meant to come off as funny, but I didn't see that with his comments about coming to the Olympics to prove that he is a legend and then repeatedly announcing that he was one. There have been plenty of athletes who've achieved what have been considered unassailable achievements in the past only to see those records fall and their memories fade. It's a little too soon for anyone who's still competing to declare themselves a legend--and since others already have done so in his case, I don't see why he felt the need to repeat it quite so many times or stick his face directly into the camera and go on about it again as if everyone hadn't already just heard him say it minutes before. I suspect if Michael Phelps repeatedly referred to himself as the greatest Olympian of all time--a title plenty of others have now given him--it would be viewed as obnoxious. Actually, I find it a little obnoxious that others are referring to him as that when they link it directly and solely to his medal count, simply because not all athletes compete in sports where winning that many medals is even feasible (there's only one marathon per Olympics, for instance), but at least he doesn't publicly say it about himself. By the way, that's in no way meant to diminish what Phelps has done personally or for his sport. I just think there are other athletes who have also achieved a great deal without the same number of medals to show for it--because it's an impossibility for them-- and who have elevated their sports as well, so when some people equate greatness just with number of medals won, it bothers me.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Fogey

He is not arrogant. That's his all marketing strategy and it seems to work in asia, africa and most part of europe. He does those antics after races but in most interview he is reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    McKayla Maroney will never live down that scowl on the medal stand. Now it's a meme. mckayla is not impressed
    Looks like she has a good sense of humour about it...

McKayla Maroney Is REALLY Not Impressed | TMZ.com

0811-olympic-girls-instagram-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    He is not arrogant. That's his all marketing strategy and it seems to work in Asia, Africa and most part of Europe. He does those antics after races but in most interview he is reserved.
    I agree. Plus Jamaica sent only 50 athletes to these games .Not a lot for the winners they have had, and the records that have been broken.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I know I'd completely disagree with that. Realistically, every country is likely to concentrate more on its own athletes and the sports with which its audience is most familiar. I will say, however, that watching BBC World News, I've seen some pretty unusual interviews that have nothing to do with British athletes. The other morning I saw an interview with the president of Bulgaria about the Olympic movement and sports culture in general in his country. I don't think I've ever seen NBC do anything like that. Or ABC before NBC, for that matter, though I did prefer the ABC/ESPN combination when it comes to covering sports.
    Sure, but the head of NBC was slamming the BBC for its focus on British athletes, while claiming they (NBC) don't focus (almost exclusively) on American athletes. I was pointing out the hypocrisy.
    Similar to the NY times article today about how the American women broke the 4 x 100 meter time set by the Easr Germans during the doping area, pointing out that it was significant in that now the record is clean as none of the
    Americans have been ever suspected of duping. Whereas I, who don't regularly follow track, know that there have been suspicions about Jeter, so you would think "the Newspaper of Record" would know and refer to this (as an allegation, of
    course. In contrast, they were quick from the start to treat the old East German record as definitely being held by dopers, even though they later pointed out that was never strictly proven, and their medals were never stripped by the IOC).

One might think that athletes should be humble and not "toot their own horn"; others feel the opposite. Neither opinion is more correct than the other so...fair enough. Personally, if Bolt went around slamming other athletes, or refusing to
    speak to underlings, or demanding to be fed grapes while lounging on a recliner, I'd dislike him, but his own self-belief doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread