+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1117
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Great Britain has a (known) history going back thousands of years; the Opening Ceremony kicked things off in pastoral pre-industrial revolution times (age indeterminate - circa 18th century) and ignored everything preceding. So WW2 was not the only event passed over. That said, I know they can't include everything so..
    The Closing Cermony is usually more a free for all. From what I've heard, and as per above, there's going to be a lot of musical acts (Spice Girls, Jessie J, Russell Brand singing I am the Walrus (!?!) etc); it is supposed to be like an after-party if you will (someone likened the Opening Ceremony to a wedding with the Closing Ceremony being the party afterwards). I seem to recall Monty Python being mentioned but I don't know if that was supposition (something about Eric Idle and The Sunny Side of Life - I think that's a song? I don't really know anything about Monty Python). I saw a picture of mini London landmarks being offloaded (London Eye, the Gherkin building etc) as well.
    I'm fine with the closing ceremonies being more like a party. It usually is. But as long as they knew what they had planned for the closing ceremonies and they knew what a long history Great Britain has, I don't know why they couldn't have hit more of that in the opening and saved the salute to contemporary pop/rock music for the closing. I also realize that the WWII experience wasn't the only thing they left out, but since it is tied to the last Olympics held in Great Britain, and there are people left who remember it (the queen, for one) and could be saluted for their efforts while they're still alive and could appreciate it, it might have been a nice touch. Tom Brokaw did a great job, but that should only underscore the point that he had to do it (or NBC felt he should), because the opening/closing ceremonies didn't. With all the emphasis on the average person in the opening ceremonies, that was one point at which the average person could have been praised and applauded for doing amazing things like the rescue at Dunkirk.

Also, while Kenneth Brannagh was quoting Shakespeare at the beginning (The Tempest), during the pastoral part, he was dressed as a nineteenth century industrialist. At least that's what I assume he was supposed to be while he was wandering around the industrial revolution section nodding approvingly. So I guess it could have been anything from the sixteenth to the early nineteenth century at the beginning. And if the point was to divide it into the pastoral, the industrial, and the digital ages, I still don't get why the section on socialized medicine and children's literature was the connection between the industrial and the digital ages. I didn't object to the section on its own; I just don't see how it fit the supposed organization of the presentation as a whole.
    mindy384 likes this.

FORT Fogey

This just occurred to me. I know Bob Costas was steamed that they didn't have a moment of silence for the fortieth anniversary of the kidnapping and murder of the Israeli athletes at the 1972 games and claimed that if they didn't do it, he was going to figure out a way to honor them himself. Did he and I missed it? Or did NBC shut him down on that idea?

CCL

I don't know re Costas. On a similar tack, I do know there was uproar because NBC cut the music/dance tribute to the 7/7 victims in the Opening Ceremony and then made a comment about it not being relevant to the American audience or some such. The head of NBC was also commenting that the BBC was too jingoistic in its coverage and celebrated British athletes too much while NBC doesn't do that for Americans and focuses a lot on foreign athletes. Don't know that I'd agree with him based on the NBC coverage I've seen.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

i am sorry nbc, i already know the result of the volleyball finale,. so no , i am not watching your "primetime" crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Speaking of the ugly arrogance business, I know he's a fantastic runner, but I really could have done without Bolt repeatedly referring to himself as a legend, particularly the last time he gave the whole "I am a legend" bit by sticking his head in the camera. Somehow, I feel like the term "legend" isn't something one should ever apply to oneself.
    Agreed. He's SO arrogant that it's unattractive. He's a great runner, but he's not the greatest Olympic athlete or anything.

I guess we're just going to have to disagree about the bad sportsmanship business. I just don't see how someone crying in disappoint with herself and making a face over the same thing is all that much different--and yes, I realize one was on the medals platform, but we don't know why she was making that face and she says it wasn't about the medal, it was about feeling angry with herself for sitting down on the job, so to speak. And she is very young, so it's possible she will learn to be very circumspect about showing any feelings publicly after this fiasco. I just can't help wondering if she'd let a tear of disappointment escape on the medals platform over the exact same feelings if she'd have been sympathized with instead of criticized, because that would have been viewed as more acceptable.
    My feeling is that, no matter what your emotions are, you suck it up and put on a happy face for the medal ceremony. I'm sure she wishes she had, since she's gotten all sorts of crap over that scowl. Crying is one thing. Scowling is another. She's not the only one who behaved badly in the gymnastics. Didn't Mustafina take her medal off and stuff it in her pocket? It seems to me that the adults in this situation are not teaching these girls how to lose. These are children, for the most part, and the coaches should be giving them a little education in how to behave when cameras are on them. It doesn't matter WHY she made that face, it's what it looked like. Who's to say that McKayla's little scowl didn't harm her endorsement opportunities? We like our America's Sweethearts to be perky and happy, no matter what. Like it or not, this stuff is big business right now and someone should be preparing these girls for that. Greg Louganis is serving as a mentor for the US divers and giving them advice about that stuff. I think the gymnasts could use a mentor like that also.

I'm watching the 10M platform prelims and am so sad for Matthew Mitcham, the 2008 gold medalist. He was in 13th position, which means he didn't even get to compete in the finals. I can't imagine how disappointed he must be.

ETA: They're interviewing Mo Farah right now. He could not be more adorable.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Speaking of the ugly arrogance business, I know he's a fantastic runner, but I really could have done without Bolt repeatedly referring to himself as a legend, particularly the last time he gave the whole "I am a legend" bit by sticking his head in the camera. Somehow, I feel like the term "legend" isn't something one should ever apply to oneself.
    I agree about his arrogance. It's one thing to be confident, even thrilled. Applying the term 'legend' to oneself is absurd. I'd like to celebrate his wins with him, but don't care to share in his own big-headed excitement. It appears Bob Costas agrees too because he made a pretty snarky comment something about not having to think Bolt was the greatest because nobody can think more of Bolt than he does himself.

We're divided in my house about McKayla's face. MrCoz thinks it's not a big deal in the context that she was so disappointed in herself, but I feel like it's just not good sportsmanship. One of the things mentioned earlier in this thread was how great it was to see such good sportsmanship from the guys on the gymnastics team, as well as the guy who won against Pistoris (sp?). IMO losing and winning with grace is important. We've seen both of those. I personally respect more the ones who are gracious.

I didn't know there were Twitter people who were complaining about the 1500 runner. I was kind of saying the same thing about her getting up and finishing the race in my own home, but wouldn't be putting that out there immediately for the world to see. Then, I did feel bad they left the camera on her for so long. I really hate when they focus so much on that. It's disappointing enough for them, they don't need to be hounded. Like the Chinese hurdler. I felt so bad for him. He was trying it seemed to get away from the cameras and they just followed him. Okay, we get it, of course they are sad. Do we really need those people to stick a microphone in their face and ask them if they are disappointed, and btw, just how disappointed are they?

Great win for the women's basketball, their fifth straight gold which was a record number of (straight?) wins for any women's team ever. Why didn't they put that on during prime time instead of the losing volleyball team? It was an amazing feat, even if a pretty sure bet. Something to be celebrated for certain. Nothing against volleyball, it's just that the basketball women accomplished something spectacular.

Tomorrow it'll be all over and I can go back to regular scheduled programming in my life! I haven't gotten much of anything done except watch Olympics these last two weeks. I think I'm glad they only have them every four years.
    Florimel and mindy384 like this.

Wow, this 10M platform final is SO good! The top 3 were within a few hundredths of each other (Boudia and Que were tied) coming into the final dive. Amazing!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I loved all the Brits jumping in the pool (fully clothed!) at the diving event when Daley won a bronze. I wish more people had that reaction to winning a bronze medal instead of thinking it's "second loser." It was such a stark contrast to the Chinese diver, who was so upset over silver.

My mom and I were talking the other day about how so many of the female runners have all that long hair and even jewelry. The swimmers shave every bit of body hair and wear suits to reduce drag. Doesn't the long hair slow those runners down? I guess it's air vs water, but we still thought it was funny.

Okay, now John McEnroe is comparing Usain Bolt to Elvis Presley? Please.

Been watching the All Around Rhythmic Gymnastics and am wishing that the girls in Artistic Gymnastics (what we normally see ala the Fab Five), could do some of the dance moves that the RG girls do. When I see the AG girls do turns on the floor exercise it always looks like they are falling our of the turns and I am not getting a lot of their so called dance moves.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Massive Tom Daley love! That is how you win a bronze. Mo Farah was also brilliant. I hope one of them carries the British flag tomorrow.

Just saw who they picked and can't argue with the choice but I am hoping Tom is his normal self at the closing ceremonies as he'll be fun to watch.
    Last edited by JLuvs; 08-12-2012 at 04:28 AM.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread