+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Open Tennis 2009

US Open Tennis 2009

Anyone following the US Open this year?

Both Andy Roddick and Murray are out. And Melanie Oudin is the real story.

And even though Rafa has a stomach pull, I think this might come down to another Rafa/Fed battle.

As always, I'm pulling for Raf.

Bdwy, I know will be pulling for Fed.

I think the Serena/Kim Clijsters match should be a great one.

Any other predictions? Favorites?
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Re: US Open Tennis 2009

I'm pulling for Federer! Not really a fan of Rafa, although I couldn't say why specifically.

After his "performance" last night, I really like Djokovic. Didn't really have much of an opinion of him before, other than thinking he's a great player. His impression of McEnroe was dead on and hilarious. He definitely got the crowd behind him and I bet they'll be cheering for him in the next round.

As for Serena - Clijsters, I'm rooting for Kim. I love a good comeback and I've always been a fan of Clijsters.

It's been a pretty crazy tournament this year with so many seeds getting eliminated. Andy Murray went today, all of the Russian women are out, ALL of the American men. It's kind of nice to see more depth of talent in the draw this year. I don't have a preference about who wins the women's title, although I'd prefer it NOT be Serena. I know he's won so many, but I always root for Roger.

On the topic of Federer, one of the competitors at the open quoted him as saying something like "The nice thing about having twins is that I always get to hold a baby." I thought that was very sweet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm pulling for Rafa. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a lefty.

As for the women, I'd love to see Oudin shock the world or Clijsters pull it off, but I have great respect for Serena so I'll be fine if she wins.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3695807;
    As always, I'm pulling for Raf.

Me too Chris.

I haven't watched women's tennis since Chris Evert was playing, but Melanie Oudin has brought me back.

As for Rafa, he got a little surprise today. A fan kissed him. He was shirtless at the time and the GUY who kissed him was arrested!

But in BIGGER news, Rafa has regained the #2 spot.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Thanks for the Rafa pic LS&S! It seemed like Rafa wanted to hug that guy even as security was dragging him away!

Anyone watching today's coverage? Rafa pulled out his quarterfinal match so quickly earlier that I'm back to being optimistic after thinking things weren't looking so great for him the past couple of days w/ the rain delays and his injury. I think it's very lucky he got that match over with now that there's yet another rain delay. They've moved the men's final now to Monday at 4pm and if the rain continues the women's final will have to be Monday too. I can't remember the last time they've had to move the final(s). Our weather report says this is the last day of rain, though, for the next several days.

I think the Kim Clijsters - Serena match will be the final, sort of, since I see whoever wins that winning the tournament. And I love Kim, too, Critical and think it's so great that she's playing again! I'm torn between who to root for in that one, though.

And it seems like you're outnumbered being the only Fed fan, Critical, but I know they're others on the board so hopefully they'll chime in. That is such a sweet quote about them each having a twin to hold!

And I was really sorry to see Oudin go out too, Mariner. Even my parents told me that they were watching some of her matches on tv and they don't watch many tennis matches on tv so she's really great for the sport.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Question: How do you know it's become an EPIC rain delay at the US Open?

Answer: They roll out the Connors - Krickstein match from 1991.....again.

At this rate, they'll be playing the finals next weekend!
    Last edited by Critical; 09-12-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3699166;
    Question: How do you know it's become an EPIC rain delay at the US Open?

Answer: They roll out the Connors - Krickstein match from 1991.....again.

At this rate, they'll be playing the finals next weekend!
    "This is what they paid for...This is what they want!"

I had such a tweenage crush on Jimmy Connors from his run at the Open that year. My sister was at that Krickstein match way up in the cheap seats that they have long since torn down in Louis Armstrong. They used to be metal and she said that the whole top of the stadium was shaking from everyone jumping up and down rooting for Jimmy.

These days, 39 doesn't seem that old at all -- It's the new 19!

Did anyone watch the Women's semifinal between Serena and Kim? Serena had a meltdown w/ a linesperson and was defaulted a point and that point was match point!

Wow, I feel really badly for both of them. I'm not sure Serena would have won -- Kim is playing tremendously -- and Serena really did get abusive w/ the linesperson but I'm just sad for both of them. What a terrible way for the match to end!

Did anyone see it? I'm sure it will be replayed on the news and Sportscenter.

I saw it. Serena was out of line...telling the judge she would shove the ball down her throat if she could. She had broken a racket after losing the first set resulting in a warning. That her outburst happened and gave Kim a penalty point at match point is unfortunate for Serena but at this point in her career, she should really be able to control her temper.

And chris, I agree. I'm not sure that Serena would have beat Kim anyway. Kim had a fantastic game going.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Shoot! I can't believe I missed it! I was just dorking around the house this morning and didn't think to turn the TV on.

I can't say I'm surprised by Serena's behavior. To me, she always seems like she's just [I]acting[/I ]polite and gracious. Kim actually IS. I'm happy Kim won, but I'm disappointed that it had to get ugly at the end.

Kim for the WIN!

ETA: Holy crap. I just saw that Nadal got clobbered by Del Potro. I'm sorry for him, but it just increases Federer's chances, so....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast