+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Open Tennis 2009

Re: US Open Tennis 2009

I missed Serena blowing a gasket but from what they're saying now during the Federer/Djokovic match, she should be suspended. She was way, way out of line.

Pulling for Federer of course! I've been in awe of him for years now. The guy is the best tennis player I've ever seen and he's beating Djokovic to a pulp right now while barely breaking a sweat.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3700023;
    I missed Serena blowing a gasket but from what they're saying now during the Federer/Djokovic match, she should be suspended. She was way, way out of line.
    I agree. She's been saying that she never actually said she'd kill the linesperson Like physically threatening her was a-okay without the death threat Then, in another interview, she said she didn't remember what she said. The thing I find the most foolish (and there's a lot) is that she still hasn't apologized to the linesperson or for her behavior. No class

Federer is in the final!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

RAFA
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Ok, I had to separate my grief and try to put it behind me...

That shot Fed hit between his legs right before match point against Djokovic was amazing!

I remember when Venus and Serena first came on the tour and Venus was the one who had a reputation of having a chip on her shoulder. One year -- I think at the US Open -- she actually kind of body checked her opponent. I feel like she's really come a long way from those days but now it seems like Serena is the one with the chip.

I remember when Venus beat her last year in the Wimbledon final and she seemed like such a poor loser. I can understand her being upset that she lost but at least she could have tried to show some happiness for her sister's win. And now this.

Hopefully she'll learn and grow from it. John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors were pretty abusive to the linespeople back in their day as well. I do agree with imposing harsh rules for the behavior, though. That would certainly be more of a deterrent.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3700108;
    John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors were pretty abusive to the linespeople back in their day as well.
    I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember either of them physically threatening a linesperson. They would insult them like crazy, call them idiots, ask if they were blind, etc., but never threaten them physically. I just think that's a line you don't cross.

The TV microphones are very sensitive, so her little "performance" is on tape. That she would be so obstinate about admitting she was wrong and apologizing is ridiculous.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3700113;
    I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember either of them physically threatening a linesperson. They would insult them like crazy, call them idiots, ask if they were blind, etc., but never threaten them physically. I just think that's a line you don't cross.

The TV microphones are very sensitive, so her little "performance" is on tape. That she would be so obstinate about admitting she was wrong and apologizing is ridiculous.
    Connors and McEnroe had their glory years mostly before I watched tennis so I'm not sure where they drew the line. I remember seeing something where Jimmy Connors called the chair umpire an 'abortion' which is pretty verbally abusive.

When did she say she wouldn't apologize, Critical? They showed part of her press conference last night and she seemed contrite.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Won't be watching the finals. Was hoping it would be Nadal vs Djokovic, but it didn't materialize.

Hoping Rafa heals . . . completely . . . and continues moving back toward #1.

Serena was totally out of line. In an interview later, she says she didn't say anything threatening. And then, in a "that is so not gonna fly" moment, she mutters "I don't really remember what I said".

Yeah, when faced with the evidence, claim insanity.

So NOT a role model thing to do.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3700132;
    Won't be watching the finals. Was hoping it would be Nadal vs Djokovic, but it didn't materialize.

Hoping Rafa heals . . . completely . . . and continues moving back toward #1.

Serena was totally out of line. In an interview later, she says she didn't say anything threatening. And then, in a "that is so not gonna fly" moment, she mutters "I don't really remember what I said".

Yeah, when faced with the evidence, claim insanity.

So NOT a role model thing to do.
    So she said that she didn't say anything threatening and then right after that that she didn't remember what she said? Maybe she said something threatening then! The body language looked intimidating. Watching the match live on tv, though, you couldn't hear what she said to the linesperson -- only when she, the linesperson, the tournament director and someone else were up at the net having a discussion prior to the default. There were some words that were audible then -- mostly Serena saying 'I would never say that'. Definitely not a role model thing to do.

I hope Rafa gets well soon, too, LS&S.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3699611;
    I saw it. Serena was out of line...telling the judge she would shove the ball down her throat if she could.
    lildago, sorry I missed this post before. So that's what she said? I thought it wasn't audible but that fits with her body language and how she was holding the ball up and shaking it. There are so few competitive American tennis players that I try to be as supportive of them as I can but this really is out of control. Even John McEnroe said something to the effect of 'there's no defending the indefensible'.

Is anyone watching the women's final now? Just wanted to let everyone know that it's on now on ESPN2. They've moved the schedule around so much it's been hard to keep track. Kim just won the first set but it's been a surprisingly close match so far.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3700119;
    Connors and McEnroe had their glory years mostly before I watched tennis so I'm not sure where they drew the line. I remember seeing something where Jimmy Connors called the chair umpire an 'abortion' which is pretty verbally abusive.
    I agree, that's bad. BUT that's not threatening someone with physical violence, which is what Serena did.
    When did she say she wouldn't apologize, Critical? They showed part of her press conference last night and she seemed contrite.
    She didn't say "I'm not going to apologize" per se. Several articles I've read have noted that she did not apologize for her behavior and didn't apologize to the linesperson she threatened. She's seemed pretty unapologetic to me.

I don't know how contrite she really is since she's been claiming she doesn't remember what she said. They showed video on CBS of her little tirade and you could definitely hear a lot what she said. They did have to bleep some of it too. I think Serena needs to sit down and watch that footage and do some serious thinking about her behavior. She's damaged her career and her reputation, so her next move is going to be really important.

On a happier note:

So glad that Clijsters won! She absolutely deserves it! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast