+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Vick - interviewed on 60 Minutes

Michael Vick - interviewed on 60 Minutes

He came across as contrite and he has served his sentence so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The head of the Humane Society did not seem to be completely convinced, however. As an animal lover, I hope he has learned from this horrible chapter in his life.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Re: Michael Vick - interviewed on 60 Minutes

Michael Vick is just sorry he got caught.

However ... according to out justice system, he has paid for his crimes, and I see no reason for him not to be eligible to continue his career, if anyone wants him. Evidently someone does. If anyone can make a human being of this guy, Tony Dungy can. The rest is up to him and whatever the market can stand.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Quote Originally Posted by jelle;3670194;
    Michael Vick is just sorry he got caught.

However ... according to out justice system, he has paid for his crimes, and I see no reason for him not to be eligible to continue his career, if anyone wants him. Evidently someone does. If anyone can make a human being of this guy, Tony Dungy can. The rest is up to him and whatever the market can stand.
    I totally agree, he probably is kicking himself in the butt for getting caught and then for losing all the material things his career brought to him. Still he has paid for his crimes and he should be allowed to participate in his chosen field of endeavor. I do wish people would quit setting up athletes as roles models as some kind of gods just because they can kick farther, dribble better, throw a ball faster than the average human. Just because you are superior with a physical skill does not mean you are morally superior to anyone.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3670731;
    I do wish people would quit setting up athletes as roles models as some kind of gods just because they can kick farther, dribble better, throw a ball faster than the average human. Just because you are superior with a physical skill does not mean you are morally superior to anyone.
    Same here. I was talking to a guy at Foot Locker about the whole Vick situation and he started talking about how he was his kids role model and I told him if you're depending on a guy on tv to raise your child for you you're doing something wrong as a parent. I just think parents should be their kids role models.

Back to the subject, I thought he was sincere, when you grow up around something it becomes part of you, he got introduced to it at a young age, he didn't know it was wrong. I'm very glad to see him back in the NFL and I plan on watching the re-run of the Philly-Jacksonville game tomoro on NFL network. Can't wait to get the jersey too!!!!

I think it's a complete cop out to say Vick didn't know what he was doing was wrong.
    As a child he likely didn't, although I would think most people have enough compassion even as children to think that there was something wrong with dog-fighting.
    He strkes me as at least an averagely intelligent person so I do not buy that he didn't know what he was doing was at least morally wrong, even if he was too ignorant to know it was illegal.

As for role models being morally superior, I don't think that's necessary, but morally equivalent to decent standards shouldn't be a lofty goal for anyone.
    It really shouldn't be too difficult not to engage in pursuits that the average person would find reprehensible. I'd say dog-fighting and the accompanying torture of the animals falls into the territory that the average person would find unacceptable.

If you're born and raised in a disadvantaged area and choose to devote your time to practicing your chosen sport and are able to eventually sign in a pro league, when you could have taken a very different path, then I consider that someone of "role model" status. I you overcome a devastating injury to become a professional sports(wo)man, I'd consider that role model worthy.
    It really doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with that person having superior morals, just be a decent human being. Vick fell short of that standard, imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3680607;
    I think it's a complete cop out to say Vick didn't know what he was doing was wrong.
    As a child he likely didn't, although I would think most people have enough compassion even as children to think that there was something wrong with dog-fighting.
    He strkes me as at least an averagely intelligent person so I do not buy that he didn't know what he was doing was at least morally wrong, even if he was too ignorant to know it was illegal.

As for role models being morally superior, I don't think that's necessary, but morally equivalent to decent standards shouldn't be a lofty goal for anyone.
    It really shouldn't be too difficult not to engage in pursuits that the average person would find reprehensible. I'd say dog-fighting and the accompanying torture of the animals falls into the territory that the average person would find unacceptable.

If you're born and raised in a disadvantaged area and choose to devote your time to practicing your chosen sport and are able to eventually sign in a pro league, when you could have taken a very different path, then I consider that someone of "role model" status. I you overcome a devastating injury to become a professional sports(wo)man, I'd consider that role model worthy.
    It really doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with that person having superior morals, just be a decent human being. Vick fell short of that standard, imo.
    thanks for pointing that out I could've said that better, instead of he didn't know it was wrong I meant more along the lines of to him it wasnt wrong. Like I said though if you're introduced to something at a young age, that all your friends and people you look up to are into that does stick with you. People find it unacceptable and morally wrong but they got no problem driving to mcdonalds or to the grocery store and picking up meat. It's still hurting/killing animals. That's your opinion, I'll respect it even though I don't agree with it. IMO he just killed some dogs, it's a harsh reality to some but to me it's no different than anybody that eats a hot dog or hamburger.

I heard on the radio that Michael Vick owes 20 million dollars to his creditors. What is up with that? He spent all his salary? Supposedly he is declaring bankruptcy and the court has mandated that he have a financial planner.

Why is it that the rich and famous don't feel that they have to pay their bills? Why is it when you are rich and famous people pay for your way and give your things?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3681866;
    I heard on the radio that Michael Vick owes 20 million dollars to his creditors. What is up with that? He spent all his salary? Supposedly he is declaring bankruptcy and the court has mandated that he have a financial planner.

Why is it that the rich and famous don't feel that they have to pay their bills? Why is it when you are rich and famous people pay for your way and give your things?
    This may have been mentioned before, but there was a really interesting article in Sports Illustrated earlier this spring about how many professional athletes go broke. (link)
    I guess they have trouble managing money like a lot of us do, just on a much larger scale.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 08-28-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by TeamNatalie;3681787;
    thanks for pointing that out I could've said that better, instead of he didn't know it was wrong I meant more along the lines of to him it wasnt wrong. Like I said though if you're introduced to something at a young age, that all your friends and people you look up to are into that does stick with you. People find it unacceptable and morally wrong but they got no problem driving to mcdonalds or to the grocery store and picking up meat. It's still hurting/killing animals. That's your opinion, I'll respect it even though I don't agree with it. IMO he just killed some dogs, it's a harsh reality to some but to me it's no different than anybody that eats a hot dog or hamburger.
    As a 25 year vegetarian, to some degree I agree with you, although I do see a difference in killing for food and pitting animals against each other to the death for perverse "entertainment".

I'm not a big fan of football, I'm British so football means something very different for me anyway.
    I'm a Superbowl watcher only and while I'm not opposed to Vick earning a living, I hope to never see him anywhere close to winning the trophy.
    With my luck, bet on Philly to win this season
    "That's Numberwang!"

Trust me, Philly won't win. They might get close but they wont win. AFC is way better than NFC right now, Pats might take it since the golden boy is back

Vick owes 20 million because all his endorsements were gone, he wasnt making any money during those 2 years he was locked up; cars, houses, other properties, etc. It's pretty understandable why he went bankrupt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast