+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Vick - interviewed on 60 Minutes

Re: Michael Vick - interviewed on 60 Minutes

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3681887;
    This may have been mentioned before, but there was a really interesting article in Sports Illustrated earlier this spring about how many professional athletes go broke. (link)
    I guess they have trouble managing money like a lot of us do, just on a much larger scale.
    I read about half the article which was really eye opening. 78% of NFL players are bankrupt after 5 yrs of retirement or in major financial trouble due to joblessness or divorce.

60% of NBL players are bankrupt after 2 yrs of retirement.

They invest their money carelessly, going after bling accounts without investing the financial ends of it. They trust friends and associates who basically scam them out of their money. Every player thinks he is Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls and that they will be a success in the business world. He is the exception but many players think financial success is easy and that as long as their names are associated with it, Bang, the money will flow.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3684387;
    I read about half the article which was really eye opening. 78% of NFL players are bankrupt after 5 yrs of retirement or in major financial trouble due to joblessness or divorce.

They invest their money carelessly, going after bling accounts without investing the financial ends of it. They trust friends and associates who basically scam them out of their money. Every player thinks he is Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls and that they will be a success in the business world. He is the exception but many players think financial success is easy and that as long as their names are associated with it, Bang, the money will flow.
    investigating - my fingers don't always type as fast as the thoughts in my head.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by TeamNatalie;3681787;
    thanks for pointing that out I could've said that better, instead of he didn't know it was wrong I meant more along the lines of to him it wasnt wrong. Like I said though if you're introduced to something at a young age, that all your friends and people you look up to are into that does stick with you. People find it unacceptable and morally wrong but they got no problem driving to mcdonalds or to the grocery store and picking up meat. It's still hurting/killing animals. That's your opinion, I'll respect it even though I don't agree with it. IMO he just killed some dogs, it's a harsh reality to some but to me it's no different than anybody that eats a hot dog or hamburger.
    I really hope you are joking, or mis-spoke again. Your statement would hold some validity if to eat the hamburger the person had to kill the cow with their bare hands. This doesn't include the other things he did to the dogs. BIG difference.
    Down the middle drops one more grain of sand.
    They say that new life makes losing life easier to understand.
    Words are kind, they helped ease the mind. I'll miss my old friend.
    And though you gotta go, we'll keep a piece of your soul.
    One goes out, One comes in.

I won't even begin to give my views on what he did to the dogs because it enrages me to think about it. I encourage anyone to google the articles to get a true picture of what went on, he didn't "just kill some dogs" as if that isn't bad enough, as per a post upthread.

My only rant with all this is, yes he did his time, however, his time was nowhere near what it should have been and where it should have been. He was moved to his own home in May/09 to finish his sentence because of lack of space. His dogs lived a life true to the kennel's name, Bad Newz Kennels. I really don't care about his second chance at his career, many of his dogs won't get that 2nd chance.

Luckily there are great organizations such as Dogtown who were able to rescue some 30-40 of them alone, and give them the 2nd chance they deserve.

I personally don't feel that the punishment fit the crime at all and will not watch any team that supports him. Since they are going to let him return, I think that he should have to donate a major percentage of any money that he makes to Animal Shelters. There is a big difference between raising animals for food and raising them for sport.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3686593;
    I personally don't feel that the punishment fit the crime at all and will not watch any team that supports him. Since they are going to let him return, I think that he should have to donate a major percentage of any money that he makes to Animal Shelters. There is a big difference between raising animals for food and raising them for sport.
    I agree I cant look at my dogs faces and support this man.
    Proud Member of Red Sox Nation

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3684387;

What is the NBL? Do you mean NBA?
    Wake up and be awesome

Everytime I see this guys name, my blood pressure goes up. Starting QB??? He should still be in jail, behind bars!

espn Michael Vick named Philadelphia Eagles' starting QB - Michael Vick named Philadelphia Eagles' starting QB - ESPN

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4066138;
    Everytime I see this guys name, my blood pressure goes up. Starting QB??? He should still be in jail, behind bars!
    He's a great quarterback (and he's ours in Philly). We don't have to like him, personally. We just love the way he plays.

He did his time. Whether you approve of the sentence or not, he's paid his debt to society. Eagles fans don't really care if you watch our games We fill our stadium (and others) without support/help.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Poppy Fields, I fully understand, and no I'll never watch an Eagles game or any team that he plays for and no I don't agree with the sentencing.

Vick faces prison time after agreeing to plead guilty - NFL - ESPN

Dogs that did not perform up to expectations were killed by electrocution, hanging, drowning and other violent means by the dogfighting ring.
    He served 21 months in prison, and two months at home. Like I said, he should still be in jail. JMO
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 09-30-2010 at 11:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12