+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: College Football 2009

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Re: College Football 2009

It didn't ruin my game, it was just discussed to the point of annoyance, that's all. And it's nothing personal against you, mrd. I know you and other Florida fans are probably in shock. I know if this was a coach near and dear to me, I'd feel the same but I personally don't feel the shock factor that others do.

I doubt Florida's program will be ruined for the next few years, although it might take a year or two to regroup. Florida always has a tough team. Tebow leaving after this year won't help things, but Florida will find a great new coach and move on to kicking everyone's butts again.

I don't really think the Florida/Cincinatti game is going to be any kind of contest. Florida will blow them out. At least I hope because that's what I picked on yahoo.
    Wake up and be awesome

Now it's just a LOA. Makes more sense IMO.

Meyer expects to be leading Gators in '10 - College Football - Rivals.com

Meyer expects to be leading Gators in ’10

NEW ORLEANS (AP)—Florida coach Urban Meyer changed his mind Sunday and said he was taking an indefinite leave of absence instead of resigning. Despite ongoing concerns with his health, he expects to be on the sideline leading the Gators when next season opens.

“I do in my gut believe that will happen,” Meyer said at a Sugar Bowl news conference.

Offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will run the team during Meyer’s absence, but Meyer will be the coach against No. 4 Cincinnati on New Year’s Day.

“It’s full speed ahead. We’re going to do everything possible to win this game,” he said.

Less than 24 hours after resigning because of health concerns, Meyer changed direction. He said he was encouraged to take a leave of absence earlier in the week by the university president. Sunday, after conferring with athletic director Jeremy Foley and his family he “accepted the offer to improve my health.”

The 45-year-old Meyer said being with his players at a “spirited practice” Sunday morning persuaded him not to resign.

“To not try would not be the right thing to do,” he said.

On Saturday night, Meyer shocked college football when he said he was stepping down after five seasons as Gators coach.

After the Southeastern Conference championship game three weeks ago, Meyer spent several hours in a Gainesville, Fla., hospital because of chest pains.

Meyer said Sunday he had experienced similar problems at times this season but had not had a heart attack. However, he would not elaborate on his physical condition. When asked if doctors advised him to stop coaching, Meyer again declined to answer.

Meyer is married with three children—the oldest recently started college at Georgia Tech.

Foley said when he went to sleep Saturday night he did not think there was any chance Meyer would change his mind.

“It was a long night for everybody in Gator nation,” Foley said. “The intent here is to make sure Urban goes and deals with the issues we discussed last night.”

Gators quarterback Tim Tebow said he and several of his teammates cried when they found out that Meyer was stepping down on Saturday and were elated when he told them he changed his mind.

“We want him to do what’s best for him,” Tebow said. “We want him to get himself right, and when he’s right then come back to coaching, then get back into ball.”

Tebow will be playing his last game in the Sugar Bowl against an unbeaten Cincinnati team that will be led by an interim coach. Brian Kelly left the Bearcats earlier this month to take over at Notre Dame.

It sounds as if Florida won’t have to worry about playing games with an interim coach any time soon.

Meyer is 56-10 with Florida, including 32-8 in the SEC and a school-record 22-game winning streak that was snapped by the Crimson Tide in the conference title game on Dec. 5.

Last month, Sports Illustrated chronicled Meyer’s coaching career and reported that he suffered from persistent headaches caused by a cyst that becomes inflamed by stress, rage and excitement.

Meyer told the magazine that since the diagnosis in the early 2000s he has tried to stay composed during games.

A tireless recruiter and creative motivator, Meyer came to Florida from Utah in fall 2004 amid speculation he would end up at Notre Dame.

Meyer brought most of his staff with him—some of whom worked with him at Bowling Green (2001-02) and Utah (2003-04). Together, they restored the program to national prominence two years later with the school’s second national championship.

The Gators upset Ohio State 41-14 in Glendale, Ariz.; they won another one last January by beating Oklahoma 24-14 in Miami.

With just about his entire team returning this fall, Meyer spent all season coaching under intense pressure and sky-high expectations. He said he welcomed it all as the defending national champions tried to become just the second team in the last 14 years to repeat.

But the season was far from smooth. Florida dealt with distraction after distraction, prompting Meyer to call it “the year of stuff.”

“I had a 30-year coaching career in nine years,” Meyer said. “You just can’t do that.”

MRD

Just hope that he can get a handle on his health. 45 is way to young to be having chest pains like that. Glad it's a LOA and hope that he can regain his health and be back at the helm once again.
    Feeling much better about next season now.
    Thanks for sharing that Unk. I watched the press conference this afternoon too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

For all the football loving Josh Groban fans who hang out here on FORT . . . .

Josh is singing the National Anthem before the Rose Bowl.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3764433;
    Yep, it's trash talk time. Bring it.
    I don't have much trash talk in me - I am a softy - I hope that our teams have a great game, but that the Ducks beat the Bucks - losing the last 7 contests is a challenge to overcome! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Go Ducks!!!

Penn State - LSU game has been great - love those muddy games with close endings... Hooray for Penn State! (sorry LSU fans...)

Now on to the really big game... Unklescott!!!! My dad just told me he went to the heartbreaking Rose Bowl in 1958 where Ohio State won 10-7.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

We Are . . . Penn State!

Great game. Love it when a season ends on a high note.

Speaking of high notes: Josh Groban is singing the National Anthem before the game between the Texas Longhorns and the Alabama Crimson Tide (not before the Rose Bowl).
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

ROSE BOWL CHAMPS!!!

Pryor leads Bucks past Oregon 26-17 in Rose Bowl - Yahoo! News

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer Greg Beacham, Ap Sports Writer – 3 mins ago

PASADENA, Calif. – Ohio State's bowl woes are over, thanks to a sturdy defense and a quarterback who finally played up to his enormous potential.

Terrelle Pryor passed for a season-high 266 yards and two touchdowns, rushed for 72 more and threw a 17-yard scoring pass to DeVier Posey with 7:02 to play, ending the No. 8 Buckeyes' three-game BCS skid with a 26-17 victory over No. 7 Oregon in the Rose Bowl on Friday.

Posey had eight catches for 101 yards, and Brandon Saine caught an early TD pass for the Buckeyes (11-2), who put together a remarkably fluid offensive performance in their first trip to Pasadena since 1997.

That offense relied on Pryor, the sophomore quarterback who has had a hard time matching his enormous hype. With a Rose Bowl effort that evoked memories of Vince Young's breakout performance in the same stadium four years ago, Pryor shook off his early mistakes and led the Buckeyes confidently through a tense fourth quarter.

Yet Ohio State's defense did much of the work, largely reducing the Ducks' high-flying, no-huddle offense to ineffectiveness. Jeremiah Masoli passed for just 81 yards, while LaMichael James rushed for 70 — but a series of big plays and kick returns by Kenjon Barner kept the 96th Rose Bowl close until Pryor took control of the final minutes.

Oregon (10-3) made a remarkable comeback from its season-opening loss to Boise State, but it hasn't won the Rose Bowl since the game's third edition in 1917, back when the Granddaddy of Them All was a toddler.

ROSE BOWL CHAMPS!!!

The other bowl games are just filler.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3781283;
    ROSE BOWL CHAMPS!!!

Pryor leads Bucks past Oregon 26-17 in Rose Bowl - Yahoo! News

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer Greg Beacham, Ap Sports Writer – 3 mins ago

PASADENA, Calif. – Ohio State's bowl woes are over, thanks to a sturdy defense and a quarterback who finally played up to his enormous potential.

Terrelle Pryor passed for a season-high 266 yards and two touchdowns, rushed for 72 more and threw a 17-yard scoring pass to DeVier Posey with 7:02 to play, ending the No. 8 Buckeyes' three-game BCS skid with a 26-17 victory over No. 7 Oregon in the Rose Bowl on Friday.

Posey had eight catches for 101 yards, and Brandon Saine caught an early TD pass for the Buckeyes (11-2), who put together a remarkably fluid offensive performance in their first trip to Pasadena since 1997.

That offense relied on Pryor, the sophomore quarterback who has had a hard time matching his enormous hype. With a Rose Bowl effort that evoked memories of Vince Young's breakout performance in the same stadium four years ago, Pryor shook off his early mistakes and led the Buckeyes confidently through a tense fourth quarter.

Yet Ohio State's defense did much of the work, largely reducing the Ducks' high-flying, no-huddle offense to ineffectiveness. Jeremiah Masoli passed for just 81 yards, while LaMichael James rushed for 70 — but a series of big plays and kick returns by Kenjon Barner kept the 96th Rose Bowl close until Pryor took control of the final minutes.

Oregon (10-3) made a remarkable comeback from its season-opening loss to Boise State, but it hasn't won the Rose Bowl since the game's third edition in 1917, back when the Granddaddy of Them All was a toddler.
    Congrats to Ohio State on a game well played. We are looking forward to next year, what else is there at this point??? Must be time to watch basketball.

+ Reply to Thread