+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: College Football 2009

Re: College Football 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3763864;
    Keep talking, you might just convince yourself.
    I'm sure it will be great Duck hunting weather in CA.
    By the way, this is Donald Duck you are talking about hunting! :nono:nono:nono For shame! Don't you disrespect the Donald!!!

It's being reported that Brian Kelly from Cincinnati has been hired at Notre Dame.
    Locals confirm: Brian Kelly is the new coach at Notre Dame - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports
    Let the South Bend Tribune be the first to break the news:
    According to two university sources familiar with the search process, University of Cincinnati head coach Brian Kelly will be named Charlie Weis' successor at Notre Dame.

Kelly is expected to meet with his team Thursday night before the Bearcats' football banquet to inform them of his decision. The media were suddenly banned from the banquet Thursday afternoon.

ND site Irish Illustrated adds to the chorus. The media banishment from Cincy's banquet is a nice detail given what we already assumed, which is that Kelly was the slam-dunk choice before Weis' chair was cold and had only to iron out the details before bidding his team adieu tonight. Through all the Urban Meyer/Bob Stoops/Kirk Ferentz chatter, there was never a realistic chance it was going to be anybody else.

Kelly is inheriting the weirdest, toughest job in sports, one that's swallowed up three straight coaches who all left with winning records and BCS bowl games on the resumés and brings with it labyrinthine social and political obligations. But when you've won championships at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati, of all places -- a basketball school that had never finished in the final polls before Kelly's arrival, and has finished there three years in a row since in a rocket ascent into the top five -- a stinking rich spot like Notre Dame is going to seem like the Valley of the Kings. Just ignore all of your mummified predecessors, coach, and you'll be fine.

FORT Fogey

"Kelly is inheriting the weirdest, toughest job in sports, one that's swallowed up three straight coaches who all left with winning records and BCS bowl games on the resumés and brings with it labyrinthine social and political obligations. But when you've won championships at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati, of all places -- a basketball school that had never finished in the final polls before Kelly's arrival, and has finished there three years in a row since in a rocket ascent into the top five -- a stinking rich spot like Notre Dame is going to seem like the Valley of the Kings. Just ignore all of your mummified predecessors, coach, and you'll be fine. "

That sounds like opinion rather than reportage.

I think there are a lot of differing opinions on what just happened to ND and what might happen in the months ahead.

The SB Trib is not aways a good arbitor or judge of opinion--even in that area.

To each their own opinion of course. And mileage may defintiely vary from ND fan to ND fan.

FORT Fogey

Roll Tide! We just won our first Heisman Trophy with Mark Ingram.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3768924;
    Roll Tide! We just won our first Heisman Trophy with Mark Ingram.

Bloomers--congrats! That's very cool--eventhough I think Jimmy Claussen could have won it with different coaching that would have given him a decent defense.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Today is Joe Paterno's 83rd birthday. Rock on, Joepa!
    Wake up and be awesome

Here is the link if you want to read this article.

Meyer announces he is stepping down after Florida's bowl game - Campus Rivalry: College BCS Football News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com

Meyer announces he is stepping down after Florida's bowl game

MRD

I'm devastated.

And concerned. This has to be serious for a 45 year old man to step down for health reasons at the peak of his career.

The Sugar Bowl is going to be a very emotional game.

Prayers for Meyer and his family.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I understand that it's big news to some people in the college football world that Urban Meyer is stepping down and I'm definitely not trying to brush over his health problems, but come on. It's pretty much all they talked about during the Pitt/NC bowl game! I was so mad. I wanted to watch the game and hear the commentary about the game, but instead, all they talked about was Urban Meyer. I hope everything is well with his health, but frankly, I don't really care to hear for 40 minutes that he's leaving Florida. I care about that first down Pitt just got. Talk about it on Sports Center.
    Last edited by AshleyPSU; 12-26-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    Wake up and be awesome

MRD

Some of us care a great deal and quite frankly most tv announcers are morons that prattle on about more crap than they actually talk about the game. If I could get the radio audio feed, I'd turn the sound off the tv and listen to the radio play by play of the games.

I'm sorry it ruined your game. It's ruined our program for the next few years and apparantly football's ruined a fairly young man's health to the point where he had a choice to retire from something he loved or die from the stress.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread