+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NHL Awards

eny
    FORT Fogey

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Except I want Nash to win because he is just a baby who got sent to the BJ's to be thier saviour
    . It's really awful when you think of it, to be number one draft pick, because you know you are probably going to a sucky team.

It is really bad to be a high draft pick. You're probably happier if a team like, say, Edmonton picks you. Not the best team in the league, but not the worst. You have a pretty good shot at making the big team, and if not, they have a good farm team. The team is halfway decent, so there's not a lot of pressure put on you. But if you go #1, you end up in Florida or Carolina or Columbus, and... that really sucks.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by Miss Filangi
    Really? Geez.. that's gotta hurt.

And I really never thought that the one that shall not be named was all that great anyhow.
    Miss F, I thought the one that shall not be named was a forward for the Sharks.

No, that's the one that should not be looked at.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Markus Naslund Wins Lester B Pearson Award
    TORONTO (CP) - For Markus Naslund, the Lester B. Pearson Award is anything but an afterthought among NHL awards.

``I can honestly say this one is special, even though it doesn't get the publicity the Hart Trophy gets,'' the Vancouver Canucks captain said after receiving the award Thursday at a lunchtime ceremony prior to the NHL's evening awards gala.

``It's still a neat thing when your peers vote for you,'' he added.

NHL players chose Naslund as the league's most outstanding player, earning him the award named after Canada's former prime minister.

Boston captain Joe Thornton and Colorado forward Peter Forsberg were the other finalists.

Forsberg and Naslund, along with New Jersey goaltender Martin Brodeur, were also finalists for the Hart Trophy as league MVP. The Hart is voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

The Pearson winner receives $20,000 US to donate to a hockey program of his choice as part of the NHLPA's Goals & Dreams fund. Runners-up get to contribute $10,000 to the grassroots hockey program of his choice.

Naslund, 29, was second in league scoring this season with 48 goals and 56 assists in 82 games.

The first Swede to win the Pearson Award, Naslund paid tribute to those who went before him.

``I give credit to a guy like (former Toronto defenceman) Borje Salming, who came over and opened the door for all of us. I've just heard what he had to go through to get to this point, so my hat is off to him. Guys tried to intimidate him when he came over. He just battled through and showed up game in and game out.''

Canucks general manager Brian Burke said Naslund's contribution is far greater than what fans see on the ice.

``Class guy, great leader,'' said Burke. ``We've only got five players left in Vancouver that I inherited (when the GM joined the club in 1998), but thank God he was one of them.''

Both Burke and Naslund credit ex-Canucks captain Mark Messier with moulding the player Markus would become.

``Playing with Mark Messier did help develop Markus' own leadership skills, said Burke. ``He would be the first to admit that.''

Naslund agreed.

``Anytime you're around greatness, which I look at him (Messier) being, I think you try to pick up things. Just trying to see how he tried to keep the team tight, not only on the ice but off the ice, that's stuff that you try to remember.''
    So, Iginla won this last year, and Jose won the Hart. That means there's still a chance for Forsie! *claps like an idiot*

eny
    FORT Fogey
    ewww scrubs brain at thought ..

Naslund wins Pearson !

Jinx, eny.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Brodeur Vezina Ha ! theres a Jinx.....

I sure hope so.

*finds herself rooting for Eddie for the first time, um, ever*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast