+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: N F L 2009

FORT Newbie

Re: N F L 2009

Isn't this like the fourth time the Colts have been undefeated late in the season? And then decided to rest their starters? And then lose? Doesn't this always end with them losing in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by 40boards;3778389;
    Isn't this like the fourth time the Colts have been undefeated late in the season? And then decided to rest their starters? And then lose? Doesn't this always end with them losing in the playoffs?
    Not always. They won the Super Bowl 3 years ago. That's not to say I agree with the strategy. I'm a Dolphins fan and I like to see teams try to go undefeated.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Coach's call, and they pulled out all of their major starters to give them a rest before going into playoff battle. You could tell that Peyton was sick to his stomach, watching Painter give this game away yesterday. They really didn't stand to lose anything but bragging rights by losing that game yesterday. Sitting out had to be the most difficult thing they had to do in a long time. Felt sorry for Painter's family yesterday. Dude was being booed while he was on the field. He looked totally bewildered, too. Strategically, I can see it being more important in the long run to give up a game for the overall outcome. Kind of like a chess game.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3778748;
    Strategically, I can see it being more important in the long run to give up a game for the overall outcome. Kind of like a chess game.
    The Colts/Jets game is obviously different, but I think that when the Pats played all their starters in that Week 17 game against the Giants two years ago, it helped the Giants when they saw them in the Superbowl-- they knew they could play toe to toe with the Pats starters, because the first game had been so competitive, and they also had a chance to see what didn't work, a luxury they wouldn't have had if they'd played against the second string team.

And then you have whatever mental effects that may have come from the chance at history, being heavy favorites, etc, while the Giants had nothing to lose and played like it.

I can tell you I don't blame the colts. The fans would be in an uproar if Peyton Manning got injured in a game that was meaningless. The Chargers loss Drew Brees in a meaningless last season game they didn't even make the playoffs that year.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sometimes you just gotta resist the urge to say "Nannie-nannie-boo-boo" to other teams, no matter how much it might stick in your craw....and I'm sure it did. Slow deep breath in through your nose, and out your mouth....

Now, the rest just remains to be seen/told.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular

I'm glad they didn't go for the undefeated record. It takes added pressure off the team.

The Patriots steamrolled the NFL for 18 weeks, then lost the Super Bowl to the Giants, and no one recognizes how great that Pats team really was. Instead they're the butt of jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter2231;3779891;
    I'm glad they didn't go for the undefeated record. It takes added pressure off the team.

The Patriots steamrolled the NFL for 18 weeks, then lost the Super Bowl to the Giants, and no one recognizes how great that Pats team really was. Instead they're the butt of jokes.
    How about the 1998 Vikings? 15 - 1, absolute dream team. Then lost in the playoffs to the Falcons by a missed field goal. Damn kicker hadn't missed all year, but he missed that one.

(yeah, I'm still not over it!)
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fanatic

I am a frustrated Broncos fan. We started 6-0 and now (it looks like) we're going to miss the playoffs. Also, McDaniels and Marshall are fighting in the sandbox again. Can't we all just get along? Arg!!!

Has Bill Sheridan been fired yet?? This cannot happen soon enough. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Giants defense couldn't stop a toddler in a parking lot. Time for him to go.

+ Reply to Thread