+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: N F L 2009

Re: N F L 2009

Ellen - What do you think of your boyfriend, Brett today? He put up some awesome stats.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

And once again, my Broncos have lost. They played much better offensively today - finally, someone must have convinced Josh McDaniels that it is wise to occasionally throw long down the field. I felt badly for Chris Sims today - his play really showed how little practice he gets with the starters. Once Kyle Orton left the game - it was downhill FAST. It is games like this where the youth/inexperience of young coaches really shows. You can't put all of your eggs in one basket. Just my opinion...

Anyone else find the Ochocinco fine to be a bit ridiculous? I mean, really. He was holding a DOLLAR bill out as a bribe to the ref -- what sane person viewing that would take that to mean the refs can be bought? A single dollar? Really? Oy vey...

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3750855;
    Ellen - What do you think of your boyfriend, Brett today? He put up some awesome stats.
    Just watching the highlights on FOX now -- yup, he's still got it!

We had my boss over for lunch and the Chargers game today; then FOX put on the last three minutes of the Green Bay after the Chargers won. So nice to see the Pack put the finishing touches on the Cowboys. Wish I could've seen more of it.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3750936;
    And once again, my Broncos have lost. They played much better offensively today - finally, someone must have convinced Josh McDaniels that it is wise to occasionally throw long down the field. I felt badly for Chris Sims today - his play really showed how little practice he gets with the starters. Once Kyle Orton left the game - it was downhill FAST. It is games like this where the youth/inexperience of young coaches really shows. You can't put all of your eggs in one basket. Just my opinion...

Anyone else find the Ochocinco fine to be a bit ridiculous? I mean, really. He was holding a DOLLAR bill out as a bribe to the ref -- what sane person viewing that would take that to mean the refs can be bought? A single dollar? Really? Oy vey...
    Broncos lost again Now San Diego will probably win the division

I too think the Ocho Cinco fine was ridiculous. He got fined $20,000.00, but Tommie Harris only got fined $7,500.00 for PUNCHING ANOTHER PLAYER!!! The punishment should fit the crime.

Simms is just AWFUL. I think Orton might be out this coming week. Mine as well start Brandstater. He can't be any worse them Simms and since he's (Brandstater) probably the future (2-3 years down the road) it's probably not a bad idea to get him some reps now.

Goodell fines Titans owner $250,000 for gesture

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—The NFL has fined Titans owner Bud Adams $250,000 for making an obscene gesture at Buffalo fans while celebrating Tennessee’s victory over the Bills.

Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Adams of the fine Monday, and league spokesman Greg Aiello said it is for conduct detrimental to the NFL. Adams was seen making the gesture while in his luxury suite and again on the field after Sunday’s 41-17 victory.

The 86-year-old Adams issued an apology a couple of hours later, saying he got caught up in the excitement of the moment.
    FILE - In this July 31, 2009, file photo, Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams watches practice during the first day of the NFL football team's training camp in Nashville, Tenn. The NFL is looking into reports Tennessee owner Bud Adams made an obscene hand gesture from his luxury suite and from the field while celebrating his Titans' 41-17 win over Buffalo, Sunday Nov. 15, 2009.

Goodell was at the game, after having breakfast with Adams. The league said that Goodell left Adams’ suite at the end of the third quarter and spent the fourth quarter sitting with fans in the end zone before leaving the stadium.

The Titans declined to comment after the fine was issued. But Adams said in his earlier statement that he expected league discipline for his actions and would accept any punishment.

“I do realize that those types of things shouldn’t happen,” Adams said in that statement. “I need to specifically apologize to the Bills, their fans, our fans and the NFL. I obviously have a great deal of respect for Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared.”

The NFL fined former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo $1 million after he pleaded guilty to a felony and suspended him for the 1999 season.

Since then, the biggest fine handed down by the NFL to an individual was $500,000 to New England coach Bill Belichick for the Spygate scandal. The league also fined the New York Jets and former coach Eric Mangini $125,000 in September for violating its rules on injury reporting with Brett Favre(notes) last season.

Adams and Wilson were original owners in the American Football League, and Sunday’s matchup was a legacy game with both teams wearing throwback uniforms. Wilson was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, and the two franchises have been involved in some emotional playoff games.

The Bills staged the greatest comeback in NFL history on Jan. 3, 1993, against what was then the Houston Oilers in a 41-38 overtime victory, while the Titans pulled off the Music City Miracle in 2000, a game-winning kickoff return for a touchdown with 3 seconds remaining.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher said he knew that Adams had been excited for this game because of the 50th anniversary of the AFL and because Wilson was coming in for it.

“They’re close. There’s been some tremendous matchups over the years between the two clubs. The playoff loss there, the Music City Miracle here … There’s a great deal of history here. I know this was a game he’d been looking forward to,” Fisher said.

This isn’t the first time Goodell has punished someone with the Titans. He handed down a five-game suspension to defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth(notes) in October 2006 for swiping his foot across the head of Dallas center Andre Gurode(notes).

Players have been fined for the NFL for making this same gesture that Adams made. San Francisco kicker Joe Nedney(notes) was fined $7,500 in October 2007, and Michael Vick(notes) was fined $10,000 and donated $10,000 to charity in 2006 while playing in Atlanta.

“The league holds us as players to a higher standard, so to have an owner flip the bird not once but twice the league has to hold him to the same standard if not more,” Bills safety George Wilson(notes) said Monday before news of the fine. “He’s at the top of the hierarchy. If you don’t hold him accountable, then you’re questioning the integrity of the system.”

Buffalo defensive tackle Marcus Stroud(notes) saw footage of Adams on TV but didn’t care.

“He owns that team and Mr. Wilson owns our team. That’s about the gist of it, as far as it goes with me. It’s not like he can come down and strap up and put on any pads or anything like that. It doesn’t bother me. If that’s what he wants to do, go for it,” Stroud said.
    YouTube - Titans Bud Adams Flips Bird - 250K fine for Bud Adams

Shay's Colts beat the Patriots!

Ellen, your Packers beat my Cowboys. With the Cowboys, I just never know what team is going to show up to play, really. Congrats to the Packers -- I think they really needed to rebound this past week. And in another FoRT match up, Shay's Bengals beat LS&S' Steelers.

Brett keeps leading LB's Vikings to victories.

Margaritaville, sorry about your Broncos and sorry about the Steelers, LS&S. Chris Simms is Phil Simms' son, right, Margaritaville?

This was the Giants week to regroup. Thanks for all the great info about Plantar fasciitis -- Eli's injury, everyone. I think that is still bothering him more than the team is letting on. Missy and Shay, do you think the Giants will rebound next week? They're playing the Falcons, right?
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

If the Giants don't win this next game, their chances of making the playoffs will likely be slim. After Atlanta, they're in Denver on Thanksgiving, home against Philly and Dallas, at Washington, home versus Carolina and at Minnesota. They'll lose at least one of those, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't more.

Yes, anything can happen, but I haven't seen anything this season to convince me that it will go the Giants' way.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3751849;
    If the Giants don't win this next game, their chances of making the playoffs will likely be slim. After Atlanta, they're in Denver on Thanksgiving, home against Philly and Dallas, at Washington, home versus Carolina and at Minnesota. They'll lose at least one of those, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't more.
    I heard Mike Francesca (sp?) say that after they lost a week ago, he thought they wouldn't make the playoffs which seemed a little premature but now that you're spelling out the schedule, Missy, it does seem iffy. Denver, Philly, Dallas and Minnesota will all be tough. The Cowboys are super flakey, though. Do you think the Eagles or Cowboys will win the NFC East, Missy, if the Giants don't?
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Perhaps fittingly, they play each other week 17. Dallas has Oakland at home, home and away with Washington, at the Giants, San Diego at home, and New Orleans on the road. Philly's at Chicago, Atlanta, home against Washington, Denver, San Fransisco, and of course at the Giants. I think it will boil down to the week 17 game, but it's hard to say, considering that both teams have looked good at times (Philly obliterated the Giants, for example), and then laid some absolute eggs-- Dallas needing overtime to beat KC comes to mind, as well as yesterday's Green Bay matchup, and of course Philly's Week 6 embarrassment in Oakland. Dallas has the one game lead now, but those change quickly.

Of note:
    The other 5-4 teams right now are Atlanta (making this weekend's matchup particularly interesting as far as the playoff implications are concerned) and Green Bay.
    Atlanta: @NYG, vs TB, vs PHI, vs NO, @ NYJ, vs Buffalo, @ TB
    Green Bay: vs SF, @ DET, vs BAL, @ CHI, @ PIT, vs SEA, @ AZ

I'd rather have either of those than what the Giants have left.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3751837;
    . . . and sorry about the Steelers, LS&S.

Thanks Chris. I've come to expect a less-than-perfect season after a Superbowl win, but it's sad all the same.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread